BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny losing power over 50mph

More
19 Nov 2020 14:42 #230201 by Wailin
Just a recent development on my 2002 jimny. It drives fine at lower speeds but once I'm on the motorway and try to go above 50-60 there's just no power at all. It even starts to slow down on small inclines. It revs fine in neutral and is definitely firing on all cylinders. Any thoughts folks?

One thing to note. I hadn't driven it in a few weeks recently and when I tried to start it, it took awhile to actually tick over and I had a huge belch of grey smoke once it started. Been fine since though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2020 15:31 #230203 by sniper
They like to rev.... below 3500rpm, an incline is enough to slow them down..... peak power is around 6000rpm and peak torque at 4100rpm.

It feels a little harsh to thrapse them but the little engines lap it up......

sniper

More
19 Nov 2020 16:10 - 19 Nov 2020 16:12 #230206 by Wailin
Well aware of how they perform, I have it 2 years which is why I'm posting here as something is definitely not right with it. Previous to this it used to reach 70mph no problem at all, but now it struggles to get to 60 and slows down in the slightest of inclines whereby more throttle doesn't do anything.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 16:12 by Wailin.

More
19 Nov 2020 16:13 #230207 by Scimike
Blocked exhaust?
Rust develops inside the exhaust if left standing for any length of time, starting shakes it all loose and it bungs up the first true restriction, usually the back box.
Just the first thing that entered my mind upon reading your problem. I guess if you cant find any other reasons first (last resort) you could try running it without the back box.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Nov 2020 17:40 #230214 by Lambert
Sounds like Mike said, the exhaust could be blocked. The huff of grey could be the catalytic converter breaking up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
19 Nov 2020 17:45 - 19 Nov 2020 17:47 #230215 by Scimike
Ah yes forgot about the manifold CAT, as Lambert said this can block the middle CAT, moving the blockage a bit further forward.
Just another simpler possibility, your brakes are free aren't they?
May be worth a check to see if you can push the Jimny, handbrake off.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 17:47 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
19 Nov 2020 19:21 #230216 by sniper

Wailin wrote: Well aware of how they perform, I have it 2 years which is why I'm posting here as something is definitely not right with it. Previous to this it used to reach 70mph no problem at all, but now it struggles to get to 60 and slows down in the slightest of inclines whereby more throttle doesn't do anything.

I did think you were a new owner, excuse me.... Blocked cats often explain a sudden loss of power, the manifold cat is prone to failing and particles then block the second cat. Strip it down and inspect, I have heard of people just using a screwdriver to clear the cat body out and running it as is....

sniper

More
20 Nov 2020 13:49 #230230 by DrRobin
If it isn't the exhaust, check your air filter, that might be blocked. There is an outside chance it is water (condensation) in the fuel, but exhaust would be my favourite as well.

The grey smoke might have been a build up of oil in the cylinders whilst it was sat.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds