BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cv bearings are shot

• Cutler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2020 14:23 #230176 by Cutler
Cv bearings are shot was created by Cutler
Hi, so I’m new to the jimny world! I have a 2002 soft top 1.3 jimny I am changing the cv joint which is attached to the half shaft. Just wondering if I need to replace the whole unit or if the cv joint can be separated from the half shaft ? Thanks in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2020 15:24 #230178 by Roger Fairclough
The drive shaft will be secured to the CV-joint by a circular section circlip. The normal way to dismantle the two is to hold the shaft upright and strike the lip of the CV joint with a heavy hammer. Copper is best as you wont get splinters of steel breaking off the edge of the joint. You can use a 2lb lump hammer but cover the edge of the CV with duck tape. Either way wear eye protectors.

Roger

• Cutler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2020 19:15 #230184 by Cutler
Replied by Cutler on topic Cv bearings are shot
Thanks for the reply appreciate it so I should be able to change the cv joint without replacing the whole half shaft? As the bearings have all gone

• Cutler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2020 19:17 #230185 by Cutler
As I’m looking for a replacement cv for the end of the half shaft and can’t seem to find it so Im unsure if I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist lol

More
18 Nov 2020 19:35 #230186 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Cv bearings are shot
Yes you can buy the CVs on their own. A quick search for "Jimny cv joint" brings up lots of results. Or try the big jimny shop.

The other way to remove the halfshaft from the CV is find a length of metal pipe (scaffolding is perfect) slightly longer than the halfshaft, sit it on a block of wood and the drop the whole assembly down it. The sudden stop of the CV hitting the end of the pipe will seperate the 2 parts.

• Cutler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2020 20:13 #230187 by Cutler
Legend ! A lot cheaper than buying the whole half shaft which was my initial thoughts so happy day’s ! Thanks guys !

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds