BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Buying a new bike - looking at Suzuki.... ;)

• Groenewald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2020 15:49 #229714 by Groenewald
Hi Guys,

Newly registered user here from Mpumalanga South Africa.

Since 2007 I have been what you can call a motorcyclist... My bikes have been my primary method of transport.
Started out with a KLR 650, moved on to BMW 800GS, then 1200GS and I am now riding the last aircooled GS Adventure.

This morning I have been looking at the new 1250GS Adventure - but then saw something else:

My BMW dealer has a silver 2020 Suzuki Jimny on the floor for a little bit cheaper!

They offered me a reasonable trade in on my GSA so I will hopefully be picking up the Jimny tomorrow!!!

Make no mistake - I really love my bike, but when the new Jimny came out I told my wife: "That's the only car on the market I would trade in my bike for....".

Now the inevitable questions:

The Jimny is a second-hand model: 7500 km on the clock. Excellent condition. Does not seem to have been used at all.

Took it for a test ride and pretty happy with the performance (Even though my bike actually has a more powerful engine).
Quiet, feels VERY solidly built, enough legroom, LOTS of space for someone used to riding a bike.

It is the baseline GA 5 MT Model with one or two extras:
* Roof Rack
* Towbar
* Some sort of Pioneer music player bluetooth thing.

What should I look out / listen for? I see there are a couple of guidelines with regard to using the handbrake / 4wd, that if not followed correctly can cause problems.

Any other tips for a very excited prospective new owner?

Cheers!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 16:52 #229716 by Scimike
Hi and welcome to the Forum,

I'll let our Gen4 owners help you as they have got a bit more electronic wizardry in than my GEN3. Nice bike history by the way, hope you enjoy the Jimny as much as I do. Get another bike as well just for more fun! The ideal number of bikes is expressed as formula N+1, where N= the number you currently have.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Nov 2020 18:11 #229720 by Roger Fairclough
Welcome to the forum. Jimnys do seem to hypnotise people "I want one, I want one", and from then on you are hooked.
I don't know of a guidline re: the handbrake but the UK handbook has a mistake with ref. to 4WD selection where it tells you to accelerate as you change from 2WD to 4WD. On my new gen.4 there was an info. sheet fitted around the gear stick advising, correctly, to decelerate as you did the change.

Roger

More
06 Nov 2020 08:18 - 06 Nov 2020 08:21 #229736 by lookonimages
Welcome to forum from another SA jimny owner.

Just remember the jimny is already very capable vehicle. Go play first before just adding stuff. You will find out quickly what you need dont need.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 08:21 by lookonimages.

More
06 Nov 2020 12:13 - 06 Nov 2020 12:16 #229749 by facade

Roger Fairclough wrote: Welcome to the forum. Jimnys do seem to hypnotise people "I want one, I want one", and from then on you are hooked.
I don't know of a guidline re: the handbrake but the UK handbook has a mistake with ref. to 4WD selection where it tells you to accelerate as you change from 2WD to 4WD. On my new gen.4 there was an info. sheet fitted around the gear stick advising, correctly, to decelerate as you did the change.

Roger

This is because numpties try and select 4wd with a back wheel spinning, and wonder why the front hubs or CVs break. Lift off slightly, stop, or dab the clutch to ensure the front wheels are moving at the same speed as the backs before selecting 4wd (and don't select it going round a corner at speed either ;) )

When you pull the lever, the sychro in the transfer will accelerate the front halfshafts to the same speed as the backs, before the hubs operate.

Don't drive in 4wd on a grippy surface like dry tarmac either, as this strains the transmission, usually resulting in a broken CV before long.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 12:16 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Groenewald

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds