BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:4 wheel drive issues

• Biessels
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2020 15:08 #229589 by Biessels
4 wheel drive issues was created by Biessels
Dear all, this is a help request from the Netherlands,

2 years ago i bought a jimny knewing that the 4 wheel drive wasn’ t working. The car has had multiple predecessors

Today i tried to change the automatic hubs for the manual hubs. It didnt work.
It appears to be that when I move the front prop shaft by hand the front axle is rotating, but when I put pressure on the front axle, it stops rotating.

I have the idea that some of my predecessors didn’t use the system wisely.

Requested advise,

Possible diagnose of the failure

Tips and advice about diagnosing the failure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Oct 2020 15:19 #229590 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4 wheel drive issues
Welcome to the forum. So if the 4x4 is working correctly then with the front wheels in the air if you restrict the propshaft then turn one wheel the opposite side should rotate the opposite direction to the side you are moving. With the propshaft free and one wheel restricted then moving the free wheel will rotate the propshaft. With both wheels free rotation of the propshaft should move both wheels fairly smoothly. When checking this be sure to secure the vehicle on axle stands and work carefully.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Oct 2020 16:45 #229592 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 4 wheel drive issues
Just want to say hello and welcome.
Do exactly what Lambert said and report back with any results or if it does not work.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
31 Oct 2020 21:07 #229598 by jackonlyjack

• Biessels
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2020 16:06 #229626 by Biessels
Replied by Biessels on topic 4 wheel drive issues
Dear Lambert,

Thanks for reply. Next weekend i do some checks like you advised. For now.

I put the wheels in the air, with the hubs off. In 2 wheel drive mode. When i turn the propshaft the spine / axle?. Is turning. When i put pressure on the axle, the propshaft is still turning, but the axles dont move.

It is on both sides.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Nov 2020 17:30 #229629 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4 wheel drive issues
If you have the hubs off then yes the propshaft would turn the axle shafts as they in turn drive the hubs which depending on if they are locked or not will either spin free or drive the wheel.

More
04 Nov 2020 20:34 #229692 by McVicar
Replied by McVicar on topic Re:4 wheel drive issues
I came across this thread whilst doing a search for 4wd problems. Could I just ask a question. My vacuum pipes have corroded so thinking of fitting AVM manual hubs. If I do when I turn the hubs to 4wd is it then in 4wd or do I still use the stick to change between 2 and 4wd. Also if I don't blank off the pipes does the 4wd light only flash when in 4wd or all the time. Thanks.

More
04 Nov 2020 22:17 #229693 by Roger Fairclough
The hubs are part of a system and to be complete ie 4 wheel drive is engaged, the hubs must be locked in. With the hubs locked in you would then need to select 4wd on the selector lever in the cab. I cannot help you as to whether AVM hubs will fit or the result of blanking off the vacuum pipes.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Nov 2020 04:26 #229694 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:4 wheel drive issues
I blanked the vacuum pipes at the solenoids to relive the flashing light. I also bridged the ports on the knuckles to keep dirt and moisture out. I have the regular avm hubs and they are fine for general use. There is a heavy duty version but that's probably better on more modified trucks. Its entirely possible to run the avm locked all day and just switch between 2 and 4 in the cab, when there's snow on the ground I will leave mine locked until its gone then I have 4x4 on demand.

More
05 Nov 2020 07:18 - 05 Nov 2020 07:19 #229695 by McVicar
Replied by McVicar on topic Re:Re:4 wheel drive issues
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I can manage changing the hubs but have no idea about blanking the pipes. For example, I don't even know what a solenoid looks like.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 07:19 by McVicar.

More
05 Nov 2020 09:05 #229698 by Roger Fairclough
A solenoid is a coil of copper wire which, when an electric current is passed through it, moves a metal rod that is situated within the coil. Bit like a linear motor. You operate a switch - usually on the dash - the solenoid is actuated, the rod moves and operates a pneumatic switch and vacuum created in the brake booster sucks the air out of the pipes and hoses and operates the vacuum system in the hubs. Blanking the pipes means your close off the ends by what ever means is available.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Nov 2020 12:20 #229707 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:4 wheel drive issues
The solenoids are under the air box towards the bulkhead wires in one side rubber pipes out the other. You can use proper plastic bungs to seal them but i happened to find some nails in a suitable size, joys of being a farmer. Eventually when I get that far I will remove all the unwanted hardware and perform a wire bypass to keep the system from flashing as it will add a bit more lightness but I have been saying that for the last 6 years.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds