BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Essential mods for taking on off-road trails

• ILIV
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2020 07:23 #229505 by ILIV
Hi!

I'm a happy owner of a new Jimny with just 2500 kilometers on odometer and just a few outings under my belt.

This is my first Jimny and actually my very first car ever. Really like it so far.

I live some 100 km away from the mountains so obviously I'm going to be taking Jimny there quite often. I do plan on touring on asphalt roads too.

In the mountains, I'll encounter all sorts of challenges from crossing mountain rivers to taking on rugged and extremely muddy, narrow forest trails.

The car needs to be prepared to meet the challenges of off-road fun. I must say I do not plan to partake in extreme off-road driving but the trails I've seen so far strongly suggest I need to do some basic improvement at least.

I thought about it and my thinking evolved from "I want a full-on off-road monster" to "I really need the essential mods only".

With that in mind, I have a couple questions for those of you who had the privilege to live with Jimny for longer than just a few months.

The mods that I'm thinking about are:

* Differential breather kit for crossing the rivers
* Rocker rails to protect lower side of the body (door sills basically)
* Air compressor + inflater/deflater for convenient control of the PSI's
* Bash plates/guards for engine, differential, transfer box, transmission (lower side of the car)
* A winch

Do I really need anything else?

The first three items on this list are kind of a no-brainer. The last two are the ones I'm uncertain about.

When it comes to protection for the lower side of the car the options range from Suzuki's own differential guards (the minimalist option of all out there perhaps) to custom protection that covers entire surface of the underbody with something between the two extremes.

The full underside protection is tempting but I heard a few seemingly valid arguments against it. E.g. it's going to be just too heavy (add about 40-45 kg). It will collect all of the dirt and ruin proper air circulation which will prevent the needed cooling for all the important stuff that's underneath the pretty bodywork. It will also get even heavier as it continues to accumulate mud and stones. Cleaning the underbody is going to be very difficult too.

On the other hand, it protects everything that's exposed down there.

The Suzuki's differential guards seem too little of protection. I thought maybe combining the Suzuki's differential guards with an engine sump guard would be the most balanced and optimal protection for my needs?

I can't really decide what to go for. I could use some advice.

As for the winch, I'm looking at Warn AXON 45-S which weighs about 13.6 kg and with all the mounting brackets it'll probably reach at least 15 kg easily.

With an air compressor and the winch installed in the front (stock) bumper wouldn't be I putting too much weight on the front of the car?

Overall, is there a rule of thumb for how much additional weight I can put on the car by attaching all these accessories?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2020 08:03 #229507 by zukebob
Before I start, I will begin by saying that my definition of "rugged and extremely muddy" may not be the same as yours.

Based on the use you describe, the first thing I would have on the list is tires. Depending on how serious the muddy conditions are, you might get away with All Terrain. If it really is a deeper mud, you may want to go to mud tires.

If you are doing any water crossing over the height of the axles, you are right to have breathers on your list. A Transfer Case guard is probably a good default level of protection but the rest of the skid plates would be based on your evaluation. If you are going to areas where you will be doing any serious rock bashing, adding differential and radius arm guards (and perhaps rock sliders for the sills) would probably be a good idea. Those are priorities that you would need to decide.

Compressor: you can carry a portable. Unless you plan to do air lockers in the future, mounting a permanent compressor isn't required.

I don't personally have a winch (due to weight) but I also don't go on trails alone.

I think most any other mods you will decide by driving the trails and learning what would be an advantage.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
28 Oct 2020 08:47 #229509 by Busta
The Jimny is rugged as standard. The underside of the car is inherently tough. You can drag one along on it's belly all day long without issues. For navigating the kind of trails you have pictured you really don't need anything. Think of who else uses the trails. Farmers and foresty workers drive standard 4x4s. They won't have fitted anything more than a good set of tyres and they certainly won't "air down" at the start of the tracks. A Jimny in standard form will go the same places as any other standard 4x4, day in day out without issues. So keep that in mind before you get carried away with modifications.

The first and possibly only thing I'd spend my money on is off-road driving tuition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
28 Oct 2020 09:13 #229511 by lookonimages
1 jimny extremely capable as is.
2 portable compressor.

Then go drive some and see what you experience. Most times you will be with people. If alone see what you can do and if real daunting hold off from doing the extreme. You anyway not going to do extreme off roading from day one.

With actual experience first doing some driving/exploring, you will find out what you need for your conditions.

Most often 3rd will be tyres.

NO NEED to go overboard adding things you might not even ever need. Just go play a bit.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
28 Oct 2020 09:50 - 28 Oct 2020 09:54 #229512 by Gadget
Probably the only protection I'd consider essential are radius arm mount guards, as they always seem to get damaged first. If the photos you posted are indicative of the trails you're driving, I don't think you need any of the other protection or a winch.

Diff breathers are a maybe, you can always stop before water crossings and have a cup of tea, letting the diffs cool and then drive over.

The maximum load that the car is allowed to carry is, iirc 340kg-ish, including passengers, so slapping 100kg of armour and winch on the car isnt something I'd choose to do.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 09:54 by Gadget.

More
28 Oct 2020 09:52 #229513 by 300bhpton
There are no real 'right' answers to this. Although probably a lot of not so good ones.

As to what mods, really depends on the terrain where you will be going, your driving style and if you are venturing alone or with people.

The Suzuki guards are pricey. Check out Jimnybits for much cheaper and likely better options:
www.jimnybits.com/jimny-18-on/guards-protection.html

Some of the underbody guards you listed look way over the top. I'm not really sure what use they would be. The sump is unlikely to be a risk for most off roading, due to where it is located in the vehicle.

From experience I would say the transfer box is vulnerable and the radius arm brackets. The rock sliders/side sill bars are a very good idea too, but make sure you get some that fit well and are strong. I've seen some YouTube vids of them wobbling about and not doing much.

Diff guards, really depends on the terrain. If you are likely to be hitting the diffs against rocks, then yes. If not, you probably don't need them.

Other things you may want to consider:

- a kinetic recovery rope and shackles
- a radio of some kind (CB etc)
- first aid kit

If you are going as only one vehicle. Then something like a winch would be sensible. And maybe some waffle boards.

Depending on the terrain, suitable tyres may well be advisable too. If it is slippery mud, a set of Mud Terrain tyres will be vastly more affective.

A 'good' 2" lift will also give you more clearance under everything bar the axle casings. Most good lift kits will also improve the suspension flex and off road ride too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
28 Oct 2020 11:17 #229517 by furo
Great pictures, which country are you in?

If I were you I'd install rated recovery points and a set of good tyres and then just get out there and drive. Breathers are quite a good idea too. But otherwise I'd just use the vehicle, and see where the limits are for your driving style/the terrain you encounter, and add modifications if and when required.

As 300bhpton said I'd also make sure I have equipment with me, like a shovel, first aid kit, rope and some form of communication.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
28 Oct 2020 13:15 - 28 Oct 2020 13:21 #229522 by DAGZOOK
Welcome to the forum, lovely little zook you've got there :)

I'd agree with the consensus so far that the Jimny is extremely capable in its standard form. I recently undertook a 4x4 event in my Gen.4, It went everywhere the larger, heavier vehicles went with no fuss. There are a couple of pictures on my build thread of this event.

The only off road modifications I've made to date are:

ARB diff breathers, Gen.3 Steel wheels with BFG K02's.

The tyres alone will be the most worthwhile modification if you're going to be spending any considerable time off road, I'd recommend you look at that before anything else.

I've noticed with the off-loading I've done in the Jimny to date, the only area where I feel I need protection is the radius arm body mounts. They drag along the mud/ground and look relatively delicate so protection is belt and braces.

The Engine sump is well out of harms way and protected by the front axle and steering components so you won't need a front skid plate. The transfer case gaurd/centre skid plate isn't essential either in my opinion unless you're likely to be crawling over large rocks. Even then if you picked correct lines you wouldn't need one as it's tucked up fairly high in comparison to the floor pan & chassis.

Diff guards offer little in the way of impact protection, but they do allow a nice steady traverse over a bump rather than dragging or getting caught. I found my rear diff was dragging it's front face through the mud like a plow, so a nice tapered guard would help this. But again it's not essential!

I'm going to be looking at an ARB compressor install in the engine bay, this is a nice to have and completely not necessary. It'll allow future inclusion of an Air locker should I ever find any terrain that justifies one.

I'd recommend that before you start doing any spending, go out and test the vehicle in the environments you plan to use it. Find it's limitations, see what you feel comfortable with and then pursue any modifications that'll be beneficial. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, I was! :)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 13:21 by DAGZOOK.

More
28 Oct 2020 14:01 - 28 Oct 2020 14:05 #229524 by Scimike
Hi,
All good stuff above, but as stated by all for the most part you don't need any modifications other than a set of good tyres. This will get you most places without damage so long as you plan your route and proceed in a controlled manner, to this end some training is a good idea.
If you want to run at every obstacle at full speed then fit it all :woohoo:
I've been to plenty of pay n play sites and so far never even removed any paint on the underside with careful route planning, can't say the same about tree branch scratches on the paintwork however!
So tyres and a bit of training get my vote. After that see how it goes and how extreme you want to push the Jimny.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 14:05 by Scimike.

More
28 Oct 2020 15:15 #229526 by Dunders
Really good advice already added by everyone. I have A/T tyres and radius arm guards and never had any issues. Jimny is built for off-roading :-) As many have mentioned, off road training is probably most important as well as knowing the limits of your ability and the Jim.

Anyone know of any good 4x4 training providers that are reasonable?

Cheers,
Dunders

More
28 Oct 2020 16:15 #229531 by Roger Fairclough
At the moment your Jimny is more capable than you are. You need to pay for proper tuition to equal the score. Pay and play sites are really to hone the skills you learn in school. You took lessons before you took your driving test and it's no different here. Once you have the basics and feel more confident with yourself and you begin to understand your Jimny then you can start thinking about what extras you need but remember, the Jimny is a lightweight 4x4 and adding lots of desirable extras, so you think, is maybe such a good idea. I have a small hand winch with 4metres of steel cable and coupled with a 5metre length of 18mm nylon rope extracted my SJ413 from many a mud hole and because it was mobile I could use it from any direction. Learn the basics at school, practice at pay and play, ask lots of questions - "why do you do it that way etc" and slowly you will get better than your Jimny. Then you can modify it if you think it necessary, remember it may be good enough as it is.

Roger

More
28 Oct 2020 17:55 - 28 Oct 2020 18:04 #229538 by Scimike

Dunders wrote:
Anyone know of any good 4x4 training providers that are reasonable?

Cheers,
Dunders

Hi Dunders,
It's possible to cut your teeth on a 4x4 experience day, so find something local. Ask loads of questions including the location any local groups that meet. You tube also has some good tutorials that get you thinking in the correct way. You should plan ahead for both success and what you will do if you fail. Avoid videos with groups "having a laugh" , you want some guidance on the simple basics. I am no expert and drive in a very defensive manner so need nothing more than a standard vehicle. Others will push the envelope and so need degrees of modifications to achieve their goal. If you go this route assume you will damage your vehicle at some point.
I cut my teeth via the Series 2 Land Rover club events, plenty of experience people willing to pass on knowledge and help. So any local 4x4 clubs near you?

Also going to add to the "mods for off road" question - Very few suggest a first aid kit and some basic knowledge of how to apply. Off road driving is great fun, but when it goes wrong it happens very fast and can (does) cause injury, so be prepared. ( Not trying to be a fun sponge :laugh: )

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 18:04 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds