BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Trail gear HD shafts.

• HplsEng
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2020 16:48 #229497 by HplsEng
Trail gear HD shafts. was created by HplsEng
My first post, so apologies if i get anything wrong.
Two years ago i bought the Trailgear HD shafts and CV's for a Jimny from Jimnybits.I have been very happy with them until last weekend when one of the shafts snapped off in the diff.Upon removal i noticed how the shafts have twisted quite badly and on the side that had snapped the cv is very stiff.
I must add that these are used on a pure off road vehicle with 205/16 tyres and have only covered around 75 miles in the 2 years.
My first question is what is the best way to remove the shaft from the cv, and has anyone got any contact details for trailgear in the UK.Would i have any recourse for replacement parts or some form of goodwill from them as i don't think nearly £500 for 75 miles use is value for money.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2020 18:08 #229499 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Trail gear HD shafts.
Your first point of contact would be to JimnyBits?

Trail-Gear's website says -

All products carry our 12 Month Limited Warranty. All warranties are limited to the original purchaser and are not transferable to subsequent owners of the product. The warranty period begins on the purchase date. Trail-Gear warrants that it will repair or replace, free of charge, any eligible product which, under normal conditions of use and service, proves to be defective in materials or workmanship. This warranty does not cover any labor costs incurred in diagnosis of defects, removal or reinstallation of a product, nor does it cover any other consequential expenses.

So as you indicate, it would be down to goodwill rather than the text of the warranty...

The shafts are available separately on the JimnyBits store - www.jimnybits.com/jimny/drivetrain.html = so it's not a case of having to purchase a whole kit again...

Just out of interest... are they 22 or 26 spline? And are you running any traction aids (Lockright / ARB, etc)...

Dave
Attachments:

• HplsEng
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2020 18:17 #229500 by HplsEng
Replied by HplsEng on topic Trail gear HD shafts.
I have already contacted Jimnybits and they gave me the e-mail address for Trailgear, I know they are a USA company but wanted to know if they have any contact in the UK.
They are 22 spline and its an open diff.
I certainly will not be buying anymore.

More
28 Oct 2020 07:58 #229506 by X8GGY
There's no UK contact details for Trail-Gear as far as I know...

Have you got a traction aid (Lockright / ARB / welded diff) in the back then? I only ask as I used to run Vitaras for many years and always had front transmission breakages... and I put it down to the fact that I was running a traction device in the back, so with the back axle locked up and pushing forward, and as Suzukis don't have a centre diff (in the transfer box) one of the front shafts has to turn at the same rate as the back axle, as even with an open diff in the front one is forced to drive as the vehicle is pushed forward by rear drive...

I'd consider upgrading to 26 spline by replacing the two half shafts with beefier 26 spline shafts, which will fit the two uprated CVs you already have, you'd then "just" need replacement sidegears for the front open diff (rear ones fit).

And, personally, I'd have another moan at JimnyBits, see if they can help you out with the suggested purchase... ;)

If you go back to standard shafts you'll suffer more breakages, as you must be pushing your Jimny quite hard! B)

Dave ;)

More
28 Oct 2020 08:36 - 28 Oct 2020 08:39 #229508 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Trail gear HD shafts.
Please don't take this as an accusation but as an honest question. When you said "pure off-road vehicle" and "75 miles in the 2 years", the first thing that went through my mind was whether this was for competition use. Is your Jimny used for racing or other types of competitions?

I have seen the results that you show in your pictures but it was typically in cases of higher torque loading through the diffs and axles due to increased engine output and/or gearing changes.

As far as the CV goes, it might be possible that something caused binding. While that could have resulted in the shaft failing, I'm not sure that would fault the shaft. TrailGear advertises their axles to be 150% the strength of the stock shafts. As long as the set you purchased meets that claim, I'm not sure what satisfaction you will get from the company.

If you can't get TrailGear to provide new shaft(s) and still plan on using your Jimny as you currently do, my only suggestion would be to go to RCV axle shafts. They are advertised to be 200% as strong as the stock axles. They are only available withe 26 inner splines so you would need to take advantage of Dave's suggestion of changing the side gears.

Wish I could paint a nicer picture.

Edit: One last thing: can you describe the scenario when the shaft failed?

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 08:39 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
28 Oct 2020 10:12 - 28 Oct 2020 10:13 #229514 by X8GGY
Of course after stronger shafts you then pass the torque further along the drivetrain...

Here's a prop I twisted! :woohoo:

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 10:13 by X8GGY.

More
28 Oct 2020 16:27 #229532 by Roger Fairclough
I am inclined to agree with Zukebob on this. The standard Jimny does not have the torque to destroy a shaft unless extreme use is being levelled at them. Extreme use would be like launching your jimny and applying full power as you land. We need more info. on the scenario that brought on this situation.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds