BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Side Step Installation

• cjhtom123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2020 19:41 #229366 by cjhtom123
Side Step Installation was created by cjhtom123
Hi Guys,

Hope someone can assist. My wife recently bought 2014 Jimney. She loves it!

To spruce it up we bought some Suzuki SS side steps second hand.
Rear fitting onto the chassis bar seems obvious, but the front L shape bar has proved more tricky.

I can see the round torsion bar end on the chassis beam? which, I believe the bracket attaches into, but there is nothing to attach it too!

I have been told there is a cone washer (40mm?) that fits into the aperture and this has a threaded bolt to attach the support bar.

This has not been provided, but I believe they are a mare to remove, so are probably still on original car!
There is nothing on internet showing instructions or video fitting.

Can anyone help please, Where do I acquire this Cone washer? How does it fit? any instructions out there?

Any help will be most appreciated

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Oct 2020 04:04 #229376 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Side Step Installation
Welcome to the forum. The problem is going to be that if they are genuine parts I think the hardware is all part of the kit and if they're after market then they could be some odd fitting specific to that particular manufacturer so again finding suitable hardware could be difficult. It could end up being easier to find someone with a machine shop and get something custom. Essentially it is like a very large rawl bolt that expands as its tightened. This has been asked before and there wasn't a commercially available solution.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• cjhtom123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2020 08:02 #229384 by cjhtom123
Replied by cjhtom123 on topic Side Step Installation
Hi

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I wonder if having it welded on is an option! May give Suzuki parts Dept a ring, but not holding out much hope. Thanks again and regards

Tom

More
22 Oct 2020 23:11 #229420 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Side Step Installation
Lambert is correct, it's an item that can't be replaced commercially and I have searched the web for alternatives.
Yes you could weld a washer / nut to the tube end, plenty of metal around and easy to do if you have the welder. Should be within the scope of most garages, but it's difficult to find one that's interested in something different these days.
So it's weld or get one from Suzuki if they will sell it.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• cjhtom123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2020 10:31 #229426 by cjhtom123
Replied by cjhtom123 on topic Side Step Installation
Hi Mike,,
Thank for reply. I should have checked all this out prior to purchase, so the experience will hopefully inform other members if buying steps online about the need to have the cone washer attachment in the kit.

This story has however, a happier ending. The previous owner contacted me to enquire if I was happy with the purchase. I said I was as they are in really good condition. I explained about the Fitting and bless him he said he would track down the Jimney they came off! (Still at garage)

To my surprise he came back that day, saying he had retrieved them!
He said that luckily, whoever fitted them had grease packed the tube so they had not corroded in place. What a result and they are on the way as we speak.
Thanks to you guys I know a lot more about side steps now and hopefully this thread will help other.

Final question...anything I should be aware of when installing the cone washers?

Thanks again to all who assisted, I am most grateful.

Tom

More
23 Oct 2020 12:26 - 23 Oct 2020 14:51 #229428 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Side Step Installation
Well done, happy ending .

cjhtom123 wrote: Hi Mike,,
Final question...anything I should be aware of when installing the cone washers?

Tom

No not really with a Jimny, the chassis metal is too thick to distort even if you overtighten. I would just say use plenty of copper grease or protection wax (waxoyl etc) when you install, stops them rusting in place. Luckily that's what the previous owner did.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 Oct 2020 14:51 by Scimike.

More
02 Dec 2020 16:19 #230603 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Side Step Installation
I am in the same situation as you are.

I bought original second hand plastic side steps for Jimny, and they came with all the brackets and bolts etc. except for two special fat cone expanding nuts (one per step). It is impossible to install the steps without them, except for welding.

I searched far and wide for those bolts, but they can not be obtained. Suzuki does not sell them separately.

Those bolts usually corrode in the chassis tubes and remain stuck when removing the side steps from the car. So most second hand side steps are sold without them. I wish I had known that when I bought mine.

Have you already installed yours? I would appreciate if you could take some precise measurements of yours, as I would like to try to fabricate some replicates on a lathe in a local workshop.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds