BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New to this - lifting Jimny and towing

• simonch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2020 13:59 #229315 by simonch
hey guys,

i’m new to this and just bought my first Jimny. i’m getting Cooper AT’s fitted to her.

i’d quite like to lift by 2”. it will act as my second car and my current 2nd car does about 1k miles a year. i’ll be using it to launch and recover a boat on sand which is on the towing limit for the car (well a couple of hundred KG below it).

my question is what springs should I use and will the car handle ok towing with a lift kit?

i like the look of the extra lift, and i like the idea of the extra clearance when launching/recovering the boat also.

cheers,

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 15:09 - 20 Oct 2020 15:19 #229316 by Scimike
Hi and Welcome to the world of Jimny.
Cant really comment on how a lifted car will tow, but in standard form its fine. I tow about 750kg on a regular basis and Lambert tows a little more (sometimes a lot more). :woohoo:
In both configurations dampers are the components that do most of the work, so quantity dampers are a must, lifted or not. So I would focus on the dampers supplied with the kit rather than the springs, but pick a reputable known make .

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Oct 2020 15:19 by Scimike.

More
20 Oct 2020 15:31 #229317 by mlines
You don't mention if you are going to tow on the road? Is it just going to be on sand?

If its road towing then watch out for the gross weight when you are going on a days boating. We know from weighbridge data that our 1,760kg boat actually weights 2,260kg when with fuel etc on board. Add on our 700kg trailer and we are at 2,960kg before we know it (no - we dont tow with a Jimny!)

If you go for a lift you may need a drop plate on the hitch to stop the hitch being too high.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Oct 2020 16:52 #229319 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. As has been said I do a lot of towing with my gen3 and have kept the standard height to the suspension because of it. It means, as said by Martin, that the towbar is at the correct height for the trailer and given that towbars are covered by type approval just fitting a drop plate may not be legally possible if the bar was not designed to accommodate such. Also as Mike said the dampers are by far the most important thing after sensible tyres when setting up for towing. You don't mention if the trailer is single or twin axle which affects how sensitive the trailer is to the height of the vehicle. Also you don't mention what kind of incline the sand is going to be, a long drag on nearly flat compacted sand is different to a short but relatively steep climb in soft deep sand.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• simonch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2020 16:55 #229320 by simonch
Replied by simonch on topic New to this - lifting Jimny and towing
thanks for the quick responses.

there’s around a 5 mile tow on road. the sand isn’t too steep and is mainly compacted although can be loose under certain conditions. My x-trail handles it no bother on road tyres

single axle trailer

More
20 Oct 2020 18:14 #229322 by DrRobin
Does your trailer have brakes? If not the weight limit is much lower, see below

With brakes 1,300 kg
Without brakes 350 kg.

Not a problem exceeding the 350 kg without trailer brakes unless going downhill, but if on the road and you get stopped you might get in to trouble.

I tow my boat up a slipway and in to the boat park (no trailer brakes) and it probably weighs around 500 kg, but then with someone stood on the front you can add another 75 kg. I bet I am well over nose weight as well.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• simonch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2020 18:19 #229323 by simonch
Replied by simonch on topic New to this - lifting Jimny and towing
yea the trailer is braked!

More
20 Oct 2020 18:24 #229324 by Busta
I do lots of towing with my Jimny, much of it on soft ground. The Jimny is a very capable tow car given it's size and weight but I can't see a lift being an advantage in any way, especially if you've been using an Xtrail up until now.

More
20 Oct 2020 21:56 #229328 by DrRobin
Good that it is braked. In that case I can’t really see any problem with the extra lift, I can’t really see it would make any difference.

Just take it steady the first couple of times and watch out for anything unusual.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2020 04:26 #229333 by Lambert
Not sure I agree with you there. As I said earlier towbar heights are covered by type approval which is set for a standard vehicle. The vast majority of towbars are not approved for use with a drop down plate the obvious exception being some of the commercial 4x4 pickups but then not all of them. Anyway not being able to legally use a drop plate means that by lifting the vehicle the trailer is going to almost certainly have at best a level aspect or more likely a nose up aspect. Neither of these are particularly good for stability with a single axle trailer though level is obviously better. The issue comes because little or negative implied load on the towball seriously upsets the stability of the towing vehicle. In a rear wheel drive, like a Jimny, it reduces traction to the drive wheels and under braking, as the front of the car dips a nose up trailer tries to lift the back of the car even higher which causes a jack knife. Like I said level is better but best is a slight nose down aspect that way the trailer is predictable. The other problem with lifting the suspension is that if done properly a suspension lift will increase the availability of movement the suspended mass of the vehicle has, meaning that it will roll and pitch more than standard and will be more affected by the movement of a trailer. Obviously the above is contingent on the relationship between the mass of the trailer and the tow car, a little tip run trailer at 250kg isn't going to be noticeable on a Jimny but a loaded boat and trailer up over 1000kg is going to be very noticeable.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds