BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Need to find DOT approved headlight replacement for 2000 Jimny Wild Wind

More
19 Oct 2020 17:19 #229299 by Japanoid
So I just imported a 2000 Jimny wild wind (660 cc) to Manitoba, Canada. Failed the safety inspection because the lights arent DOT approved and need to be able to be aimed. Has anyone else run into a similar problem? Im crossing my fingers and hoping for a quick fix like "oh, the grand vitara headlights swap perfectly for the jimny's" but am not too optimistic.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2020 18:58 #229300 by jackonlyjack
I don't believe any other headlights are a straight swap
Your only option i see are lights from jb23/43 from Europe/Russia/Mongolia any left hand drive country

More
19 Oct 2020 21:00 #229302 by Keithy
You could put some Wrangler lights inside the headlight shell.....pointed over to the right?

Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2022 16:57 #244297 by Skaguy
How did you do with this? I'm interested because I'm bringing in a 2007 Jimny Sierra in a few weeks and I'll need to resolve this too
thanks

More
31 Jul 2022 09:29 #244314 by mlines
I am not sure what the original poster did to resolve the problem, however parts sales in general to Canada are quite good so some people have managed to get them in,

DOT is an USA/Canadian standard so you are very unlikely to find headlights with DOT certification as the Jimny from 1998 onwards was not sold there. We have "E" marked lights here.

As stated you may have to get inventive. Despite the Jimny headlights being a custom shape, if you look closely at them they are really a round (7"?) core. There are also companies selling 7" round mounting pieces for those people fitting halo style lights, You could fit approved round lights and use the plastic headlamp protectors to fake the original look.

Or perhaps there is a legal loophole. I know of a person exploiting the "law" to get the new Gen4 Jimny into the USA where it is not sold. For example there are at least a couple in California and Florida. The inventive  route for these is  Mexico where they are for sale, from Mexico they  go to Nevada where there is a "UTV" vehicle classification for off-road vehicles such as the Polaris 4x4, this allows the use of non-compliant vehicles. The difference is that the Nevada variation allows their use "on-road" so they get a standard Nevada licence plate. They can then drive them on the road. The point at which they "stretch" the law is that they are supposed to re-register them as Californian if they keep them too long in the state. However, this is apparently "never checked".

So perhaps there is a pathway in Canada that can also be used if you use the "correct" wording on the forms.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Aug 2022 01:24 #244441 by Skaguy
Hi Martin, thanks. "E"markings are allowed too. Do you happen to know a source of European Jimny parts?
Cheers,
Rick

More
08 Aug 2022 06:37 #244443 by mlines
Can you send a picture of the headlights you have?

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
08 Aug 2022 17:02 #244450 by mlines
I have just looked at a headlight and cannot see an E marking on it, there are no E markings on the visible part of the lights on the new Jimny either

The bulbs have a E marking on the bulb and the body of the light has SAE stamps for the housing and lens

So it has SAE stamps on the rear of the light but that is all. Yours will have these as the UK and Japanese lights are the same

Martin

More
08 Aug 2022 17:56 #244451 by Skaguy
Hi Martin,
That's interesting. I've heard that car manufacturers are moving to universal headlights that can be adjusted to shine correctly whether they're used for driving on the left or right side of the road.
I'll see what the adjustment looks like on mine when I get it.
Thanks,
Rick

More
08 Aug 2022 18:23 #244454 by mlines
There is no adjustment on the Jimny,, they are separate lamp units for the left hand and right hand drive cars

Martin

More
08 Aug 2022 18:25 #244455 by mlines
I can get left hand drive units if you think Canada will accept no DOT marking, just the SAE stamps

Martin

More
09 Aug 2022 20:01 #244469 by Skaguy
Hi Martin,
Yes, SAE is accepted. What is the price on those?
Cheers,
Rick

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds