BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

INEOS GRENDIER - What do you guys think?

More
05 Oct 2020 12:41 - 05 Oct 2020 12:42 #228825 by lightning
Well l hope it's a success for them. Plenty of people are spanking £50,000 on the new Defender when they could have bought an alternative for £20,000 less.

Nobody will know for sure until the Grenadier actually goes on sale.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 12:42 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2020 13:46 #228829 by 300bhpton

Scimike wrote: I hope they succeed, but I am not sure they have the pricing or the target customer correct. I am sure it will sell in low numbers just as the original (outgoing) Defender did, but when you can get a L200 for 21K as a work vehicle why would you pay over double this for the Ineos offering?
So that's the work community out, it only leaves it as a possible Chelsea tractor and the badge is not established enough for this.
Ineso, they make chemicals and hand sanitiser and are having a go at a 4x4....... No pedigree for the badge chasers.
So that leaves the need to be different people as customers, and they tend to keep things for a year then move on to the latest and greatest.
Only my view on the potential Ineos customer base, I am sure they have done their homework and have a different view.

I'm not going to defender the price. As for me it is beyond my means by quite a bit.

However, when you look at the price of what is available, it sadly may not be so far a drift.

I believe Nissan have pulled out of the UK market BTW. So the L200 won't be a contender.

But looking at other alternatives:

The Ford Ranger may look like it starts from low prices, but the Wildtrack version starts at £31k + VAT and I daresay realistically is going to cost in the region of £35k+VAT OTR. I suspect this would be a more direct comparable spec to the Grenadier.

The same is true for an equivalent specced Toyota Hi-Lux.

A utility Toyota Land Cruiser ranges from £36k-41k, so I guess people must be paying this for a work truck.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2020 14:15 #228830 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic INEOS GRENDIER - What do you guys think?

300bhpton wrote:

Scimike wrote: I hope they succeed, but I am not sure they have the pricing or the target customer correct. I am sure it will sell in low numbers just as the original (outgoing) Defender did, but when you can get a L200 for 21K as a work vehicle why would you pay over double this for the Ineos offering?
So that's the work community out, it only leaves it as a possible Chelsea tractor and the badge is not established enough for this.
Ineso, they make chemicals and hand sanitiser and are having a go at a 4x4....... No pedigree for the badge chasers.
So that leaves the need to be different people as customers, and they tend to keep things for a year then move on to the latest and greatest.
Only my view on the potential Ineos customer base, I am sure they have done their homework and have a different view.

I'm not going to defender the price. As for me it is beyond my means by quite a bit.

However, when you look at the price of what is available, it sadly may not be so far a drift.

I believe Nissan have pulled out of the UK market BTW. So the L200 won't be a contender.

But looking at other alternatives:

The Ford Ranger may look like it starts from low prices, but the Wildtrack version starts at £31k + VAT and I daresay realistically is going to cost in the region of £35k+VAT OTR. I suspect this would be a more direct comparable spec to the Grenadier.

The same is true for an equivalent specced Toyota Hi-Lux.

A utility Toyota Land Cruiser ranges from £36k-41k, so I guess people must be paying this for a work truck.

You can argue about speccing up a Ranger to the max and than saying it's equivalent to an Ineos. But then you're forgetting that business, utilities and agricultural users aren't speccing 20 inch alloys, Android Auto and Leather inside. For a significant amount of people a 4wd is a tool to earn money with.

And for 22k ex vat you can have a bog standard Ford Ranger crew cab with a 170bhp Diesel which isn't a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things.

That's why it's the best selling crew cab for 3 years running. It's cheap and it works. At one point they were shifting more than the Hilux/Navara and L200 combined in the UK.
Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2020 14:36 #228831 by lightning
There's a limited market for crew cabs, not ideal for mountain rescue or military for instance.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2020 14:45 #228832 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic INEOS GRENDIER - What do you guys think?

lightning wrote: There's a limited market for crew cabs, not ideal for mountain rescue or military for instance.

"With the help of T.C. Harrison, Tippers, Co-op (park farm) and local support from other businesses we finally have a vehicle suitable for operation use that will also be more efficient for the team. 'Mobile 2' will comfortably transport five team members, all gear for a Crag Rescue, medical equipment and enough equipment for a hasty search."

www.derbymrt.org.uk/p/news/introducing-mobile-2

They're not the only ones using it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Oct 2020 15:34 #228835 by Lambert
Interested to hear about the swb version but again it has to be able to tow be properly shorter and sufficiently basic that it can be disinfected and washed inside with a hosepipe. And I'm not paying 30 to 40 thousand pounds for that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
05 Oct 2020 15:53 #228836 by DAGZOOK
I'm sure the boffins at INEOS have done thorough market research, but I think we can all unilaterally agree that the price point released thus far is a bit steep..

I think they're targeting the Jeep wranglers, Toyota land cruisers, 2020 defenders and Mercedes G-Wagon customers. But who knows, maybe they'll launch a bare bones stripped out commercial SWB version if they get enough interest. If that was the case, I personally don't think there's much out there that could compete with it. (Pickups are in a different class IMO).

More
05 Oct 2020 15:56 #228837 by Scimike

Lambert wrote: Interested to hear about the swb version but again it has to be able to tow be properly shorter and sufficiently basic that it can be disinfected and washed inside with a hosepipe. And I'm not paying 30 to 40 thousand pounds for that.

Does not appear to stop a lot of people, maybe use a pressure washer as it ok on most interiors :whistle:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Oct 2020 16:24 #228841 by 300bhpton

Podge wrote: You can argue about speccing up a Ranger to the max and than saying it's equivalent to an Ineos. But then you're forgetting that business, utilities and agricultural users aren't speccing 20 inch alloys, Android Auto and Leather inside. For a significant amount of people a 4wd is a tool to earn money with.

And for 22k ex vat you can have a bog standard Ford Ranger crew cab with a 170bhp Diesel which isn't a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things.

That's why it's the best selling crew cab for 3 years running. It's cheap and it works. At one point they were shifting more than the Hilux/Navara and L200 combined in the UK.

That isn't speccing it to the max, you can make the Ranger a lot more pricey and that is even ignoring the Raptor variant.

And if I'm brutally honest, I see very very few low spec or base model pickups of any type. But especially Rangers. I don't know the sales split, but observationally I see a lot of high spec and a lot of Wildtracks about. And certainly any on a farm round this way are of higher spec.

The Hilux is exactly the same, if not slightly more pricey.

And lets not forget the Land Cruiser, which is arguably closer to the Grenadiers market than the pickup trucks.

More
05 Oct 2020 16:27 #228842 by 300bhpton

DAGZOOK wrote: I'm sure the boffins at INEOS have done thorough market research, but I think we can all unilaterally agree that the price point released thus far is a bit steep..

I think they're targeting the Jeep wranglers, Toyota land cruisers, 2020 defenders and Mercedes G-Wagon customers. But who knows, maybe they'll launch a bare bones stripped out commercial SWB version if they get enough interest. If that was the case, I personally don't think there's much out there that could compete with it. (Pickups are in a different class IMO).

To be fair. I don't think Ineos have released any prices. There is only speculation from motoring bodies and journos.

As for them targeting a Wrangler (which has always been a leisure vehicle not utility), the new Defender (which is a Discovery in drag) or a G-Wagen (which is just crazy money and never used these days as a utility vehicle). I'd have thought no. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
05 Oct 2020 16:51 #228843 by DAGZOOK

300bhpton wrote:

DAGZOOK wrote: I'm sure the boffins at INEOS have done thorough market research, but I think we can all unilaterally agree that the price point released thus far is a bit steep..

To be fair. I don't think Ineos have released any prices. There is only speculation from motoring bodies and journos.

As for them targeting a Wrangler (which has always been a leisure vehicle not utility), the new Defender (which is a Discovery in drag) or a G-Wagen (which is just crazy money and never used these days as a utility vehicle). I'd have thought no. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

300, INEOS sent an email out to all 'subscribed' customers containing a video interview with the UK's marketing chief towards the end of last week. I subscribed a while back purely out of interest due to getting first dibs on the latest grenadier news and manufacturing updates. They gave indicative minimum price figures of the new grenadier, but alluded to the fact that this price could fluctuate based on model specifications/toys which are still being decided. So the previously mentioned prices could in reality increase even more so :(

More
05 Oct 2020 20:17 #228848 by DrRobin
The big problem for any new car company is reliability. Vehicles operate in a harsh environment, they have to work in hot, cold, wet, dry conditions, sometimes all in the same day, often with little maintenance.

Making something that works and keeps on working is very difficult for a new company with no track record, just look at Tesla.

Then they are entering a competitive market with some well established players, a market that might be gone in 2030 for petrol/diesel and 5 years latter for hybrids.

A lot of people miss the old Defender, trouble is they are probably already sorted with something else. After all if the Defender was still going to be a good seller today, why was it dropped?

Good job Sir Jim has deep pockets, he’s going to need it.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds