BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine improves with mileage

More
24 Sep 2020 19:39 #228510 by lightning
Anybody else noticed that the engine has got better once the Jimny has done a few miles?
l am talking new here, ours had 1,300 miles on when we got it, but now with nearer 3,000 it's noticeably more lively.
Or is it just me? lt definitely seems to pull better at low RPM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2020 20:17 - 24 Sep 2020 20:18 #228513 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Engine improves with mileage
A big yes from me. Only did short runs but recently did some long motorway runs at 70+ now it feels a lot more zippy. 2800 miles on the clock.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 20:18 by Grima.

More
24 Sep 2020 20:25 #228514 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Engine improves with mileage
I've 2000 miles on mine and it still feels sluggish.

More
25 Sep 2020 08:31 #228518 by Barry silver SZ5
About 3500 miles and engine loosening up and nicer to drive. Also much more relaxing drive as got used to it’s strange road manners

More
25 Sep 2020 09:33 #228520 by lightning
Yes l guess it depends on what you drove before the Jimny.
My other car is a Defender, so the Jimny feels like a more modern version of what l already have, quieter and more refined with more features such as climate control and ABS etc
l guess if you have come from a BMW 5 Series or Golf R it's going to feel a little agricultural

More
25 Sep 2020 12:39 #228527 by DrRobin
Most engines loosing up with a few miles on the clock. Remember the days of running an engine in for 500 or 1,000 miles? They might be gone with better tolerances but an engine still needs to bed in and everything needs to wear and get use to moving next to another part.

The weather helps too, a nice sunny day on dry roads, it just rolls along, better fuel economy, compare that to when it is raining, standing water on the roads or in the case of the Jimny windy or a head wind.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Sep 2020 12:43 - 25 Sep 2020 12:44 #228529 by lightning
l've never done more than 65mph in our Jimny, don't see the point really
That's the speed my 110 likes to cruise at so l am used to it, doesn't make much difference to arrival times and it's a lot more relaxing than hammering down the outside lane ten feet behind the Audi that won't move over.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2020 12:44 by lightning.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2020 12:52 #228530 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Engine improves with mileage
Ours has done 1500 miles and it is a lot less boomy on the motorway. Can cruise at 70 without going mad now.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2020 14:00 #228533 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Engine improves with mileage
The gearchange on mine was a little truculent to begin with, which was a surprise as the Gen4s I'd driven before all had a sweet action. Engaging first from a standstill was often particularly tricky.

Over time it's loosened up nicely to the point that it's now as fluid as I remember on those first drives.

More
25 Sep 2020 18:51 #228554 by Foxtrot
I have noticed that the engine feels like it has a lot more torque after 1000 miles, I am hoping it loosens up even more after another couple of thousand..

More
26 Sep 2020 09:42 #228564 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine improves with mileage
It's quite normal. It's partly due to everything "bedding in". Wear is highest in the initial stages of using an engine, and they are manufactured in such a way that the engine reaches it's optimum once this wear has taken place.
Another not insignificant factor is the human one. Over time you learn how to drive the car. Most of it is subconcious. Builiding up muscle memories makes you a smoother operator, you ear becomes attuned to the noises that matter and blanks ot the ones that don't and you adapt to how the car likes to be driven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
26 Sep 2020 14:40 #228571 by lightning
Yes l need to get used to driving a 16v petrol engine, after driving a Land Rover diesel that red lines at 4,500rpm and rarely needs to go over 2,500.

By the time you reach the maximum power in the Jimny it sounds like the pistons want to escape from the engine block.

Although it's surprisingly good when driven like a Land Rover, not exceeding 2,500rpm

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds