BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Boot storage

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
14 Sep 2020 13:15 #228185 by DrRobin
Boot storage was created by DrRobin
Inspired by others on here and seeing our dog sink in to the boot when tired out from a long walk I decided to make a boot box.

I made it from 8mm plywood for the top to take any weight and 15mm pine planks (from an old bed) for the sides. The base is 6mm plywood.

I have gone for a split lid design, so I can open one half to get the tow bar out whilst the other side is still closed so I don't have to move all of the kit out of the boot.

I wanted to retain the original boot, so kept the old boot lid and put a cut out in the base of the new box.

Then it was covered in thin carpet (first picture with my parcel shelf and second with the seats down) inside and out, to stop it marking anything and also to reduce sound.

I then made two tool trays, these used more 15mm pine planks and 6mm ply for the base. These were covered with carpet on the inside again to reduce sound. I added velcro straps to both lids, so they can be held open by the seat backs.

The design was infulenced by what I had in the shed, all the wood and screws, but the 'piano hinge', velcro and carpet was bought, so total cost about £18. Now our dog can sit in the back without falling in to the old boot. Plus I have decided to start carrying more tools with me, just in case anything breaks.

Next project a phone, glasses, keys tray to sit on the dash board above the centre console. Will be hand to sit the coffee mug in when sheltering from the rain before/after a long walk with the dog.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jago

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Romyc75
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2020 13:54 #228187 by Romyc75
Replied by Romyc75 on topic Boot storage
Super,bravo

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2020 13:57 #228188 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Boot storage
Very neat Doc, I like that. Did the dog ask for the parcel shelf? Chris

More
14 Sep 2020 14:21 #228189 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Boot storage
Very nice indeed. Looks great and looks like it holds a fair amount of kit!

More
14 Sep 2020 15:07 #228190 by Soeley

More
14 Sep 2020 20:14 #228194 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Boot storage
I like it, neat job.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
15 Sep 2020 10:06 #228217 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Boot storage
Perhaps if the parcel shelf was made of dog biscuits.

I take the parcel shelf out and put the seats down when the dog goes in the back. The trouble is she slips down the seats in to the boot well, especially when she is tired and with the boot liner.

Our dog hasn't been in my Jimny since I finished the box, she mostly goes in the missus' car, no pint in getting muddy paw prints all over my new carpet.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter, lookonimages

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds