BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Laser Etched Switch Question

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
14 Sep 2020 01:38 #228160 by zukebob
This may be an odd question but I'm hoping someone here may have some background on the subject.

As I am planning to convert my standard push button transfer case to an SJ413 case, I began thinking about the 3 useless buttons that will be sitting in my dash (OCD time). I began thinking that it should be an easy task (if they can be taken off without damage) to remove the existing layer of paint from the button covers. Once they are back to their original opaque plastic, I'm thinking they could be repainted and then custom etched. As long as I have front and rear lockers, that seems like a good place to integrate the switches......in spite of there being easier methods.

I have found listings for companies that will do custom laser etching of customer supplied parts but I still have a couple of questions.

First, I am wondering if the covers are actually a painted surface. I would think so since laser etching is normally done by removing the layer of paint in a specified area. Playing with (scratching) a laser etched switch I have, it seems as though it is a painted surface but is thin enough to make me wonder. Is there a different process they use or simply machine painted for defined thickness and uniformity?

My other question, really directed to any forum members with experience, is whether or not custom etching services will take the entire job of painting/finishing and then etching.

I will be contacting the companies I have found to ask these things but hesitate doing that yet. I am still working on getting the items I ordered for my t-case conversion sent from the U.S. and will be lucky if they are Christmas presents. I have found that companies get annoyed answering anything that resembles technical questions unless you are already set to pull the trigger on a purchase.

Any information or guidance is appreciated
Bob

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Sep 2020 05:11 #228163 by Lambert
I'm not sure that the face of the switch is a painted mask they certainly seem very resistant to wear if they are. As for getting them etched would that not leave a texture or lip that you would feel every time you touched it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
14 Sep 2020 07:26 #228170 by zukebob
I must admit Lambert that thinking the 4WD switches were laser etched was an assumption. Most backlit automotive switches are now but I can't confirm. Because of age and health issues, unless there is an emergency, I am not allowed to leave the house until the lockdowns are lifted. For that reason my nephew has been using the Jimny for the last couple of weeks and I won't get it back for a couple more. As a member of the media, he can go wherever, whenever.

As far as the feel of the laser etching, that should depend on the coating thickness. With a very thin coating, I doubt you could feel it.

I downloaded a couple of pictures for comparison but that doesn't really confirm anything.

Not mine

And a typical laser etched.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light.

Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2020 08:29 #228175 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Laser Etched Switch Question
Instead of paint, what about black vinyl wrap with the logo cut into the vinyl. Might need a 2nd clear wrap to stop the edges of the lettering lifting?

More
14 Sep 2020 09:59 #228183 by RainerK
I do not know with what process the pictures/wording on the switches are made but on my foglight switch whatever is done is done not on the surface that I touch but on the backside.

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
15 Sep 2020 02:10 #228196 by zukebob
Thanks all for the comments. I think that my starting point will need to be confirming Lambert's thoughts. The whole idea of new etching would be unworkable if the existing switches aren't laser etched. I will pull the switch when the Jimny returns and try to determine how the covers are marked. If they aren't etched, then covering and remarking would be an option. That would likely cause me to lose the backlit feature. I would like to keep that, but probably it isn't urgent. I do virtually no off-road driving at night.

I have seen side comments about these switches in the past so will update in case anyone is interested.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds