BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB and other comms

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Sep 2020 10:45 #227982 by Lambert
CB and other comms was created by Lambert
So I dug out my ancient midland cb again in optimistic readiness of the meet and it let the smoke out in a big way. What can people recommend for simple limited use but still with some durability. Probably thinking hand held with a card kit or something that will take my existing springer? Cheers in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2020 14:18 #227989 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic CB and other comms
Is it definitely a CB you are after? I'm starting to move to PMR446 these days. Decent handhelds of these can be had for £17-25 delivered. Handheld CB's alway looks pricey to me.

Have bought from these guys in the past:
www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio.html
www.kcb.co.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

More
09 Sep 2020 14:50 #227991 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic CB and other comms
Handheld "traditional" CBs are expensive in my opinion. PMR446 range from toys to business class. My sons marina use Motorola business PMR446 and in general use in a fairly open area with some metal sheds they max out at 500 metres. We have used similar within wooded areas and at 2-300 metres they drop out. Business class ones are quite robust and have good battery life.

Traditional mobiles are fairly cheap although there is always a debate as to whether to use UK or EU channels.I have had more success with these in terms of distance, they cover off-road sites well, the downside is that they are attached to the car!

I will be on traditional CB at the meet and could have PMR446, 2metres, 70cms and DMR if useful :)

de G1SEO

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
09 Sep 2020 15:13 #227992 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic CB and other comms
I'm seriously thinking about fitting a PMR set to my Jimny.

Currently using some Chinese handheld ham radios (Baofeng UV-5R) configured to the PMR446 channels and with the output power dialled down.

Using one of these and a Walkie-talkie style 2nd handset I've clocked 0.5 miles with clear 2 way communication. Both handsets where outside of vehicles however.

Using two of the UV-5R's in vehicles, best I've clocked is 0.9 miles going across a town and lots of buildings. I think an external aerial would help a lot. Also tested my CB on the same section and managed 1.4 miles, but slightly less clear overall, fitted with a Thunderpole Orbiter (1.55m) aerial.

More
09 Sep 2020 15:23 #227994 by mlines
Thing is that the UV5-R are more powerful even when dialled down (1 watt) than PMR446 (0.5watt) and the aerial can have more gain so its not surprising they have better range.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, TillymintDLG

More
09 Sep 2020 16:29 #227998 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic CB and other comms
I have THIS comes with the car kit.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2020 16:36 #227999 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic CB and other comms
These uv5r sound interesting but being ham do they need a license even if they are on pmr446? My knowledge of this is currently somewhere around 1992 when I was last reasonably involved. I had a share of a pmr round the nc500 a couple of years ago and it wasn't awful.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2020 16:41 #228000 by Lambert

Soeley wrote: I have THIS comes with the car kit.

Soooo. If that has a car kit I could use my burner through the car then?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 Sep 2020 17:02 #228001 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic CB and other comms

Soeley wrote: I have THIS comes with the car kit.

Same thing I use and it works pretty well out of the car and with line of sight, but not great when chucked on the passenger seat or trying to talk to someone in a valley. The car kit would suit your external aerial well too Lambert. I do have a CRTone mini CB in the ash-tray slot, but as I keep loosing the roof aerial (for some reason :whistle: ), its a bit useless.

I also carry a set of 4 Midland semi-professional PMR446 handhelds which are generally more reliable and seem to work better in small convoys overall.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
09 Sep 2020 18:14 #228002 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic CB and other comms
I've also got a couple of PMR446 sets, a Motorola T6222 and a UV-5R fitted with a Nagoya antenna. Have used the Motorola a lot while skiing and it would have more than enough range for an off-road day.

The UV-5R glows in the dark and picks up signals from parallel universes.:woohoo:

More
09 Sep 2020 18:52 - 09 Sep 2020 18:53 #228003 by mlines

Lambert wrote: These uv5r sound interesting but being ham do they need a license even if they are on pmr446? My knowledge of this is currently somewhere around 1992 when I was last reasonably involved. I had a share of a pmr round the nc500 a couple of years ago and it wasn't awful.

The UV5R is basically illegal unless operated on Amateur radio frequencies with an amateur radio licence.

It does tune to PMR446 but as it is not PMR446 certified and transmits with too much power it is not legal. However your chances of being caught.....

I use them for amateur (I have a licence), maritime (I have a licence) and military (I have an operating certificate). We had the Royal Corps of Signals arrive at work to do a Reserves recruitment day. They had wagons full of the latest gucci comms kit and were using......UV5Rs for person to person chat. Apparently because they are only £15 each in bulk its easier to give them to the Squaddies and let them break them or lose them in the field that in is to let them out with the expensive kit.

Martin

Last edit: 09 Sep 2020 18:53 by mlines.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2020 19:23 #228005 by Lambert
Ok. Not having licences it's just down to either a pmr or a midland 42. Time to check the bank balance.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds