BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Availability of Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 215/75R15

More
02 Sep 2020 20:58 #227669 by Jimny-Phil
After much thought and deliberation I finally decided upon fitting the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 215/75R15 on my Gen 4 and visited my usual tyre supplier to order 5 of them to be fitted ASAP

They informed me that there are only 2 available in the whole of the UK... and having checked out with their supplier they reckon the Yokohama can't actually give them a delivery date for them at all

This seemed hard to believe, so I looked around the internet and surprisingly I can find no-one at all who can supply these tyres... that's not strictly true... there are a couple of suppliers (who I'd never heard of) who claim that they have some "in stock" and will readily take my hard earned cash, but when looking at reviews of these suppliers there are lots of people who claim to have ordered all sorts of tyres from them, but received nothing and then having trouble getting their money back!

No-one like Camskill, BlackCircles or even any of the high street retailers seem to have them listed on their web site (or at least they didn't earlier today!)

Does anyone have any more information about what may be going on with these tyres and / or Yokohama?... Are they just in short supply or have they been discontinued?... or is it something else that will no doubt be blamed on either or both of COVID-19 and Brexit??

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2020 21:56 #227671 by Grima
Last year there were no BFG KO2 in the UK but sites still had them on sale for a stupid price. I got mine from Tyreleader at a good price. they came from Germany production date 2019 as well. Delivered 5 days later by DPD. Fitted a local garage for £8 a corner. Have a look & no i don't work for them.

• Probablynotfrank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2020 01:00 #227672 by Probablynotfrank
Replied by Probablynotfrank on topic Availability of Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 215/75R15
I have a set of 5 I don't use, bought them for an mot, swapped them out for 31s a fortnight later if you would be interested in them?

More
03 Sep 2020 08:42 #227674 by DAGZOOK
You can buy Geolanders and some other solid brand tyres on black circles in the standard size 195/80/15.

To be fair from what I've read on the forum about larger more durable tyres blunting the performance of the Jim, I'd rather stick to the OE size anyway. It seems like a cosmetic FAD going for marginally larger tyres and unnecessary additional weight. I appreciate you can't source certain tyres in the OE size, in that instance it makes sense to go up a size. But in your case, just go OE.

Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2020 09:09 #227675 by Jimny-Phil
Thanks fro the replies so far

Grima... Thanks, I'll take a look at Tyreleader

Probablynotfrank... Thanks, I've sent you a PM

Dagzook... I hadn't even considered standard sized tyres to be honest... Yes you are correct a lot of the motivation is the "cosmetic look" of the larger tyres, which I admit is true in my case... I'm now left wondering how much "worse" (not sure that's the correct word, but I'm sure you'll get what I mean) standard size Yoohamas look compared to the wider ones... Does anyone have any comments or photos to compare the appearance of standard sized Yokohama's to the larger ones, or similar tyres?... In my case, as I'm not likely to be doing huge amounts of off-road stuff (at the moment anyway), if there is no improvement in the cosmetic appearance of standard sized Yokohama's over the standard Duellers then there there is probably little point in me replacing them at all. If on the other hand Yokohama's in the standard sized still look "good", then the fuel saving would be welcome... Decisions, Decisions!!

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5

More
03 Sep 2020 09:46 #227676 by Soeley
I have the standard size Yokohamas on steel wheels.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
03 Sep 2020 12:05 #227679 by 300bhpton

Jimny-Phil wrote: After much thought and deliberation I finally decided upon fitting the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 215/75R15 on my Gen 4 and visited my usual tyre supplier to order 5 of them to be fitted ASAP

They informed me that there are only 2 available in the whole of the UK... and having checked out with their supplier they reckon the Yokohama can't actually give them a delivery date for them at all

This seemed hard to believe, so I looked around the internet and surprisingly I can find no-one at all who can supply these tyres... that's not strictly true... there are a couple of suppliers (who I'd never heard of) who claim that they have some "in stock" and will readily take my hard earned cash, but when looking at reviews of these suppliers there are lots of people who claim to have ordered all sorts of tyres from them, but received nothing and then having trouble getting their money back!

No-one like Camskill, BlackCircles or even any of the high street retailers seem to have them listed on their web site (or at least they didn't earlier today!)

Does anyone have any more information about what may be going on with these tyres and / or Yokohama?... Are they just in short supply or have they been discontinued?... or is it something else that will no doubt be blamed on either or both of COVID-19 and Brexit??

PJ

Tyres are normally imported in batches. So you'll find either everyone has them or nobody does. Due to the vast array of sizes and tread patterns, I suspect it is hard for them to predict when they will be receiving certain ones.

All you can do is wait a bit or keep shopping about if you want them. You may get lucky.

Although on a personal note. Looking at the design of these, I'm not sure what benefit, apart from lightening your wallet, they will offer over the standard factory fit Bridgestones. There isn't a huge difference in size, so visually I think there would not be a great difference. And they have a tread pattern that has very similar focus.

More
03 Sep 2020 13:08 - 03 Sep 2020 13:19 #227682 by Gadget
G015s have a significantly deeper and more aggressive pattern than the stock Duelers. Lots more siping and 3peak marked as well, so legal for ski season in the Alps.

The 215s are classed as light truck, so have a stiffer sidewall - makes them more robust and in theory should make the ride harsher, but I've not noticed it. I found that it changes the appearance of the car a lot, never let it be said than an additional 2cm doesn't make a difference :P
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 13:19 by Gadget.

More
03 Sep 2020 14:00 #227684 by Grim Reaper
215 Geolandars here, 2" lift
I think I got them from Tyreleader, from Germany, they are the LT version which has a different tread pattern to the non LT versions
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2020 21:41 #227692 by gilburton
Just got some standard ones from Asda tyres.
You get the choice of fitting included at a local tyre place or for £12 extra fitting at home.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
04 Sep 2020 10:14 #227710 by DAGZOOK

Soeley wrote: I have the standard size Yokohamas on steel wheels.

They look awesome on a set of steels Soeley. You've made a nice job of those refurbs too!

In the aerospace world our fleet Hilux trucks are all fitted with Geolanders as standard for our maintenance crews.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
07 Dec 2020 17:51 #230736 by Dan
I've noticed the availability of the General Grabber AT3 has become a bit thin on the ground, they are still available on Mytyres for about £20 more per tyre than they were selling for a couple of months ago.

I think General have launched the ATx as a replacement for this tyre, but the US site seems to suggest that there aren't any 15" offerings.

The current thinking on Tyre Reviews made me appreciate I might not require an AT tyre, but I must say I didn't expect there to be less selection available than previously!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds