BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Recovery adapter.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2020 20:10 #227606 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Recovery adapter.
The problem as I understand it is partly because the load on the towball is not acting directly in line with the mounting bolts of both the ball and the chassis ends of the towbar and so the force is applied in both tension and moment of rotation. The adapter I'm working on will have less moment force applied as the whole assembly will be applied effectively in the same plane as the cross bar of the towbar.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2020 13:32 #227625 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Recovery adapter.
Another huge fan of Matt here, what a guy! I love watching his videos. That Jeep that fell into a sinkhole was pretty crazy.

Lambert - I had a similar idea for the towbar on my Grand Vitara, but ended up using a tow hook instead. To be clear I don't off-road my GV (that's what my Jimny is for) and don't think I'll ever use it, I just did this because I wanted a little project. I didn't use a steel bar and shackle as I couldn't work out how to do it without requiring an enormous shackle.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
01 Sep 2020 21:49 #227633 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Recovery adapter.
Phil, that is exactly what I do. I loop the end of the strap around the whole neck rather than just the ball part. But the only reason I do this is because it is less likely to fall off.
It seems everyone has an opinion on what is safe and best practice for recovery, and I'm sure some of the horror stories are true. But as with most things if you use a bit of common sense then you won't put yourself in danger.
Or even better, use maths!
For example, the safe dynamic load rating of a towball is normally written on it as a value "D=xxkN". Typically this is 17kN (17,000 Newtons) for a flange type towball. We are all taught that Force=Mass X Acceleration. A Jimny weighs 1200kg. So to generate 17,000N of Force with a Jimny it would need to Accelerate at over 14m/s, which is 0 to 30mph (or vice versa) in 1 second. And remember that is the safe working limit, not the breaking point! Clearly snapping off towballs is not something that's going to happen by accident. With Jimnys in particular, to get to the point where you are breaking the hardware of the car you are already far beyond what anybody would consider a safe recovery.

More
01 Sep 2020 23:29 #227634 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Re:Recovery adapter.
Personally if I attempt any recovery it will be closed loop. Whether that is winching or a more dynamic recovery, although absolutely go for low impact recovery.
I know the load ratings of each item in use and therefore the likely failure point.
I prefer soft shackles (168g 14tonne) to a steel shackle (998g 4.5tonne) .
In my opinion a tow ball is used / designed for towing, not for a recovery. Use the pin if you don't carry a suitable hitch receiver eg factor 55 hitchlink. All light weight with suitability designed in for soft shackles.

crash486 JB74W

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2020 08:45 #227637 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Recovery adapter.
Unfortunately we in the UK don't have the luxury of receiver hitches in the same way that you Australian and American types do so we are limited to either fixed swan neck, fixed bolted flange or demountable swan neck style. Square receiver types are simply not homologated for Jimny. Which is a pain.

Busta, leave the science out of it, you'll only upset people. :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Sep 2020 10:31 - 02 Sep 2020 10:37 #227641 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Re:Recovery adapter.

Lambert wrote: Busta, leave the science out of it, you'll only upset people. :laugh:

:laugh: Sorry Lambert. Noting ruins a good scare story like facts and logic! My Winchit KERR arrived today. Now I need to get the landy stuck so I can yank it out with the Jimny!

Regarding receiver hitches, I have one that was factory fitted on a Rangerover so they are available. I think it's just that they haven't really caught on here where most people's preference seems to be a detachable swan neck type.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2020 10:37 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
02 Sep 2020 12:34 - 02 Sep 2020 12:39 #227642 by lookonimages
If I need to be tucked out this will be the recovery point. 50x50 solid bar.
Fits perfectly into towbar channell.

And if i am alone and need to recover myself

Hopefully by end of this weekend the front attachment will also be completed. Bought front winch plate from Jimny bits that is changed to have channel added, so that all fittings will work simmilar fashion like the towbar channel.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2020 12:39 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds