BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wireless CarPlay

More
27 Aug 2020 17:08 #227406 by stuartmc
Wireless CarPlay was created by stuartmc
By the looks of it the Gen4 Carplay is a wired version. I have wireless CarPlay in my Mini and it is great, I can just keep the phone in my pocket and as soon as I switch the car on it connects. I just know that if I plug the phone in to the Jimny I am going to get out and leave the phone there. I have seen various Wireless Carplay and Android Auto adapters that plug in to the USB port and give you Wireless Carplay. Has anybody used one of these and can you recommend a make that you know works with the new Gen 4?

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2020 17:21 - 27 Aug 2020 17:21 #227407 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Wireless CarPlay
I believe its actually a mix of the two for Android

1. Wired to bring Android auto onto the screen
2. Bluetooth for the music audio channel for sound functionality

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 27 Aug 2020 17:21 by mlines.

More
27 Aug 2020 20:45 #227422 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Wireless CarPlay
The 'wireless' capability that the Jimny offers via Bluetooth is just traditional BT audio streaming rather than any Android Auto functionality (which requires a wired connection).

Some newer infotainment systems offer the full Android Auto screen mirroring experience over a wireless connection (using WiFi I believe, rather than BT due to the bandwidth limitations of BT).

Stuart - I've not personally seen any adapters used to add this functionality to the Jimny. In fact I didn't know that add on adapters were a thing! I assumed that you'd need a whole new HU. Time to do some googling :)

More
27 Aug 2020 20:56 #227423 by stuartmc
Replied by stuartmc on topic Wireless CarPlay
The most popular one is Car2play carplay2air.com/ I need Carplay rather than Android Auto. Mini only do Carplay.

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

More
27 Aug 2020 22:24 #227427 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Wireless CarPlay
Not relevant to your specific needs, but I forgot to mention that wireless Android Auto is not only headunit specific, but also phone specific, with only handsets from a small number of manufacturers supported.

Looks like that will be changing with the next Android OS release, with all Android 11 handsets supported - provided you have a HU that allows WiFi connection.

www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/21377399/goog...reless-phone-support

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2020 06:28 #227434 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Wireless CarPlay
I really like the sound of this thing. The link takes me to the iPhone version and with a bit of fishing around there is an Android version too (shame one adapter won't do both). Android version £83 at this time, ordering now. Chris

More
28 Aug 2020 07:46 #227436 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Wireless CarPlay
Ooh, didn't see the Android version, will go back for a look.

More
28 Aug 2020 07:52 #227437 by Soeley
Found this one on AMAZON

Chris, did you find the Android one from the Carplay2 site linked above?

More
28 Aug 2020 08:10 #227438 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Wireless CarPlay

stuartmc wrote: By the looks of it the Gen4 Carplay is a wired version. I have wireless CarPlay in my Mini and it is great, I can just keep the phone in my pocket and as soon as I switch the car on it connects. I just know that if I plug the phone in to the Jimny I am going to get out and leave the phone there. I have seen various Wireless Carplay and Android Auto adapters that plug in to the USB port and give you Wireless Carplay. Has anybody used one of these and can you recommend a make that you know works with the new Gen 4?

What functionality are you are after? My iPhone connects automatically via Bluetooth when I turn the ignition on. This allows me to make and receive calls without even getting the phone from my pocket. You can also stream music via your phone in this fashion.

I generally only plug mine in for Apple CarPlay when I want to use Google Maps. The phone interface is better on CarPlay than the bluetooth connection, but it is the mapping apps I use. And mapping apps suck the battery big time. I wouldn't want to use these without plugging the phone in anyway.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2020 08:45 #227441 by CC Baxter
No, sorry Soeley. I googled carplay2air android and got this
carplay2air.com/products/carplay2air-wir...oid-auto-mirror-link
Chris.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2020 08:50 #227442 by CC Baxter
Sorry, I have no excuse. It's just the kind of thing I buy. I couldn't agree more with your points on battery drain and limited use but I want one. Chris

More
28 Aug 2020 09:17 #227444 by Soeley
To me the benefit of the wireless carplay would be that you can actually charge your phone whilst using it as the USB is very low powered. And it i will at best just maintain your power level. But using wireless and plugged into power socket will actually give a good charge.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds