BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 shocks replaced

More
19 Aug 2020 17:27 #226996 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Gen4 shocks replaced
l think that l will leave mine with the standard dampers for now.
We have no complaints with the ride quality, it's better than a Defender which is what l drive (and what my missus drove before the Jimny)
We won't drive it fast, we'll just cruise along and let the world go by. Longest journey l've done in it is a mainly motorway 240 mile round trip in one day and it was fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 17:54 #226998 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 shocks replaced
It's interesting that Bilstein themselves don't list shocks for the Gen4. I wonder if these are simply Gen3 shocks being sold as Gen4? That would make sense seeing as the running gear is virtually identical. That would also mean that you can get them significantly cheaper at other sites such as bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.uk
It's the claims that these offer more travel than standard that I can't work out. Looking at the Bilstein shocks for the Gen3 they don't offer any more travel than standard.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 19:46 - 19 Aug 2020 19:53 #227005 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Gen4 shocks replaced
Which shockies to fit? Lots of suggestions but they all seem to be longer and lift orientated. :(

Maybe Lambert can give us some science as to why the Gen4 is so uncomfortable and difficult to tame? :)

I have a theory, look at the ratio of un-sprung weight to sprung body mass. There is just not enough mass in the vehicle to absorb all that kinetic energy! Unless we use a fluid or air to soak it up, it will always bounce and/or be uncomfortable. I look back at Citroen and the Hydro-pneumatic suspension, Mini and the hydrolastic suspension, even some Range Rovers have air suspension, and I see a better solution.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 19:53 by GeorgeC.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:52 #227006 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen4 shocks replaced

Grima wrote: Thanks Soeley, renewing in Nov. LV here i come.
Any idea on fitting a 30mm chain gun & hell fire missiles?

I have been recommended BRENTACRE by someone I know, they allow any modification at all as long as it doesn't increase BHP apparently without raising the premium. I will get a quote off them when mine is due for renewal. They might be dearer for a standard car, but might work out cheaper if your insurance charges for each mod.

LV didn't even charge an admin fee each time I rang them.

• zebraman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 20:07 #227007 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Gen4 shocks replaced
I went with LV because quotemehappy wouldn't insure my wheel and tyre change. LV policy was 217 a year! I bit their hand off!

I used compare the meerkat site (shite)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2020 05:17 #227018 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 shocks replaced

GeorgeC wrote: Which shockies to fit? Lots of suggestions but they all seem to be longer and lift orientated. :(

Maybe Lambert can give us some science as to why the Gen4 is so uncomfortable and difficult to tame? :)

I have a theory, look at the ratio of un-sprung weight to sprung body mass. There is just not enough mass in the vehicle to absorb all that kinetic energy! Unless we use a fluid or air to soak it up, it will always bounce and/or be uncomfortable. I look back at Citroen and the Hydro-pneumatic suspension, Mini and the hydrolastic suspension, even some Range Rovers have air suspension, and I see a better solution.

I am extremely happy with my trailmaster sport dampers. For my exact use they are only ever going to be beaten by an adjustable damper. They offer a nice range of firm damping when the car is loaded with work supplies or when I have a trailer on the back, the pitch control is especially good. Yet in the solo and empty state the same dampers with road springs are perfectly smooth on all but the most severe irregularities and yet they don't make it feel unstable in corners. Get to the circuit and swap the road springs to the track ones and the same dampers now allow for almost flat cornering at silly speed much to the general amazement of my track day friends.
It's also worth remembering that the dampers work in conjunction with the springs. While the effects of a stiffer damper will noticeable its not going to be as much of a change as alterations to the spring rate as its the springs that actually absorb the energy and the dampers control how that energy is dissipated in both compression and rebound. It is also worth mentioning that a good road damper is not necessarily a good one for off road. Tuning suspension is a very precise art and there's no one size fits all solution, it's why so much development is being done on adaptive systems that react in real time to the exact conditions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
20 Aug 2020 06:55 #227023 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 shocks replaced

GeorgeC wrote: Which shockies to fit? Lots of suggestions but they all seem to be longer and lift orientated. :(

Correct. The high unsprung mass (around 20%) due to big tyres and live axles is the root cause of many of the Jimny's handling quirks, and there is no perfect solution. This is why the Jimny is so sensitive to tyre pressures. Even with the best dampers in the world, a Jimny will never be able to handle speed bumps like a Citroen, simply because so much of the car's mass is displaced by each impact.

More
20 Aug 2020 08:25 - 20 Aug 2020 08:28 #227026 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen4 shocks replaced

GeorgeC wrote: why the Gen4 is so uncomfortable and difficult to tame?

Just to be clear, I don't find the Gen4 remotely uncomfortable. I think it has a great ride with stock suspension. The only time I find it poor is over speed 'pillows', where the narrow track means you can't straddle them and the short wheelbase makes the car pitch when going over.

I've absolutely no real need to swap my shocks, but as they say, a fool and his money are easily parted. When it comes to unnecessary modifications, I'm definitely that fool.

I don't see air suspension as a better solution. It's great when the car is new, but you see so many Range Rovers with sagging rear suspension that it's not ideal for reliability. Give me coils and shocks any day.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2020 08:28 by Gadget.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2020 10:12 #227035 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 shocks replaced
I agree with Busta that what you compare a Jimny to has a major bearing on your perception. Compared with my Grand Vitara, Dreadnaught is a bouncy castle. Compared with my mates e46 on 19s Dreadnaught rides like like the smoothest smooth thing on national smooth day. This to me suggests that I have got it about as good as its going to get. For me.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds