BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Under bonnet soundproofing

More
16 Aug 2020 10:38 - 16 Aug 2020 10:39 #226784 by lightning
Has anybody fitted the under bonnet sound proofing cover and did it make any difference?

I fitted under bonnet soundproofing to my Defender and it did make a difference however the Defender has air vent flaps below the windscreen that you can open in hot weather, obviously this means that it's only the bonnet between you and the engine, so any sound proofing will make a difference.

The Jimny under bonnet pad is £60 which is quite expensive and l wanted some feedback from anyone who has fitted one before spending the money.

Picture shows why it makes a difference in a Defender

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 10:39 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2020 16:21 #226792 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Under bonnet soundproofing
I can speak from experience here.

Just recently i fully sound deadened the jimny. Did the floor pans, under the rear seats the wheel wells, the doors, rear boot hatch, the roof and the firewall.

The difference has been very worthwhile.

One area i felt woudnt be needed is the bonnet, under the hood. Thenreasoning being any sound absorbtion or sound rebound would be then traansfered to the firewall. The firewall is tricky to apply sound materials too unless of course you could take the dash out, which i wasnt willing to do. But i did manage to cover as much as i could. But anyway, any sound not dissipating out the hood will of course be re directed to the firewall, and so engine nouse would actually increase.

A friend of mine has that hood cover fitted. He says in his auto it heats the transmission up quicker, meaning a better auto experience. Vut sound wise it is not worth it IMO.

More
16 Aug 2020 16:32 #226794 by Roger Fairclough
Yes it is worthwhile. I fitted a kit that included under bonnet pads and it does work. Well recommended.

Roger

More
16 Aug 2020 18:58 - 16 Aug 2020 18:59 #226807 by lightning
Thank you both for the replies.

Can you provide a link or tell me where you purchased the soundproofing kit from (2020 Jimny)

As l have only been able to find kits for the older pre-2018 model.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 18:59 by lightning.

More
16 Aug 2020 19:43 #226810 by Roger Fairclough
Noisekiller Acoustics (UK) Ltd. They are in Royton, Oldham 0L26DS

I bought a full kit for £182.50 which incl. a house welcome mat. but plus VAT.

Roger

More
30 Oct 2021 03:50 #239737 by Alynn
Replied by Alynn on topic Under bonnet soundproofing
Be cautious. When I fitted the liner I noticed that fuel consumption went up and the top of the side panels above the wheel arches became literally too hot to touch, while the top of the bonnet stayed cool (as you might expect). This was in moderate ambient temps. of 15 to 19 degrees. I'm wondering if the liner is only suitable for very cold climates. I have now removed it, but might try again during the worst of next winter (Central West NSW, Australia).

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds