BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Its Re:Re:Re:Turning the traction control off (Gen 4)

More
15 Aug 2020 10:02 #226704 by mlines
I think these style of alternators are pretty much standard everywhere on newer cars as they assist with fuel consumption, "turning off" the alternator when it is not needed.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 12:05 #226712 by GeorgeC

mlines wrote: The 10.6 to 16.3 volt range of the alternator is what it can output. Something is commanding it to output the voltage. Therefore if it is outputting low, either the alternator is faulty or the command circuit is telling it to do the wrong thing.
If it's is being told wrong then the sensor shunt on the battery is faulty or there is a faulty connection or wire in the circuit. If the ECM thinks the engine needs help it will command the alternator to drop the voltage it is generating to help relieve the load on the engine. You could probably disconnect the battery sensor and create a little circuit to simulate demand on the battery and see if the alternator output is varied by the ECM.

Martin, I just sent an you email with a question "what can I do", well I have added into the weekly Resting Voltage Table all the refuelling dates and the octane and the Oil Change dates and grade of engine oil.

The one that makes the difference is the oil changes.
After the first oil change in August last year a drop in battery voltage.
After the second oil change in February this year a slight increase in battery voltage.
Could the oil be too heavy for a new motor? In August 10W30, in February 5W30.

Should the question I am to ask be, can they use 0w16 or 0W20 oil??

More
15 Aug 2020 12:16 #226715 by mlines
For market code E02, E22 and E54
It is recommended to use engine oil of SL, SM or SN grade.
Select an appropriate SAE oil viscosity according to the chart [A].
0W-16 oil is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
Except for market code E02, E22 and E54
It is recommended to use engine oil of SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM or SN grade.
0W-20 oil is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 12:27 - 15 Aug 2020 13:58 #226718 by GeorgeC

mlines wrote: For market code E02, E22 and E54
It is recommended to use engine oil of SL, SM or SN grade.
0W-16 oil is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
Except for market code E02, E22 and E54
It is recommended to use engine oil of SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM or SN grade.
0W-20 oil is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather

That's an easy one, Australia is E24, so I will ask for 0W-20 Oil on Tuesday! :woohoo:

www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/home/car...start.html#tab_0w-20

Just in case anyone wants to look up their Market Code: www.rhinopower.org/Tech/ECodes.html
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 13:58 by GeorgeC.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:27 - 15 Aug 2020 14:32 #226721 by Grim Reaper
You put 10W30 into it? Or the dealer?
Does no-one read the manual anymore?
I don't understand however, why they have singled out the UK, Germany and Israel to specify 0W16, I mean it's not like the UK has a similar temperature range to Israel, and whilst we do have a similar climate to Ireland, the Netherlands and Denmark, they get to spec 0W20??
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 14:32 by Grim Reaper.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 14:41 #226722 by CC Baxter
I suspect the K15B was designed to run on 5W-30 and the 0 weight oils have been introduced where necessary to keep emissions down. Take a look at hot 0w16 and you wouldn't risk it on a sewing machine. Chris

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 14:55 - 15 Aug 2020 14:59 #226724 by GeorgeC

Grim Reaper wrote: You put 10W30 into it? Or the dealer?
Does no-one read the manual anymore?
I don't understand however, why they have singled out the UK, Germany and Israel to specify 0W16, I mean it's not like the UK has a similar temperature range to Israel, and whilst we do have a similar climate to Ireland, the Netherlands and Denmark, they get to spec 0W20??

Three different dealers, 3 times, PD, 6 & 12 month services! And they wonder why I don't want to go back!

I just posted the question on the Aus JB 74 Facebook Page, www.facebook.com/groups/1196794093818351/ no they don't read the manual, tyre pressures are another one they miss!
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 14:59 by GeorgeC.

More
15 Aug 2020 19:02 #226733 by Grim Reaper
0W16 oil over in the UK is around £12 a litre.
I think I'll be using 0W20 in mine, Shell Helix Ultra SN 0W20 is about £9 a litre but there's a place in Darlington, Smith & Allan, that do their own label
Momentum C5 SN 0W20 for £11 for 5 litres, I reckon it's the same stuff as the Shell just they buy it in bulk and repackage it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Aug 2020 19:26 #226736 by Lambert
That's a good price. Thanks for letting us know.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2020 02:53 - 16 Aug 2020 02:53 #226757 by GeorgeC
My nearest, 5litre = $49-$70 depending on brand and in/out of stock: www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/engine-o...51219%3A0W-20&text=#
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 02:53 by GeorgeC.

More
16 Aug 2020 03:59 #226760 by Grim Reaper
Penrite do an 0W16 if you really want to go low
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2020 23:07 - 16 Aug 2020 23:09 #226812 by Jimnyz
Hi Martin. Regarding your post about disabling ESC (ESP?) manually. It sounds like a good idea for gravel roads and beaches where you might be above 30km/h but don't want the Jimny to be losing momentum.
Are you referring to the OBD connector, and is it a momentary connection between pins or does it need to be held shorted?

Cheers, Mike
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 23:09 by Jimnyz.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds