BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Its Re:Re:Re:Turning the traction control off (Gen 4)

More
11 Aug 2020 10:29 #226508 by 300bhpton
Can it be done?

Messing about up the field last night. And in 2wd High. It seems the TCS or Dynamic Stability Control kept kicking in.

I tried pulling to a stop and hold in the TCS button for many seconds, it eventually beeps and on the binnacle display looks like it turns off the crash avoidance or something (the image of a car crashing into something). And the orange light with a vehicle and wiggly lines with 'off' comes up on the dash.

Great, but pull away and get some wheel spin and the orange lights flashes at you and it kills the throttle. And seems to rearm the system. ???

Not had a look in the manual yet. But how hard can it be too push a single button?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2020 10:43 - 11 Aug 2020 10:43 #226511 by Scimike
Don't know, you would think so though.

Found this in the wiki but its G3 related, looks like you are on the correct path. Did you try in 4WD-L?

good luck

Mike

Switching TC between ON and OFF states
TC can be turned OFF or ON manually by the driver in 4WD-L transmission mode by long pressing the ESC/TC button.
Long pressing means holding the button pressed in for at least a couple of seconds.
Unfortunately, the vehicle will give no sound nor audio indication that the TC has just been switched ON or OFF.
The only way to check if TC is ON or OFF in 4WD-L mode is to field-test it by applying strong sudden throttle in 1st low or 2nd low gear on a slippery surface.
When TC is ON, the operational indicator lamp on the instrument panel will blink intermittently as the vehicle is struggling for traction during acceleration.
When TC is OFF, that indicator lamp will not blink and the vehicle will have a classic behavior.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Aug 2020 10:43 by Scimike.

More
11 Aug 2020 10:55 #226513 by mlines
For the Gen4

ESP OFF/ON: Brief press - disable/enable stability and traction control

ESP LONG PRESS when in 4WD LOW - Turns off Hill Descent control

4WD LOW - ESP is automatically turned off.

SPEED above 30MPH - ESP turns back on automatically even if disabled.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
11 Aug 2020 11:29 #226514 by 300bhpton

mlines wrote: For the Gen4

ESP OFF/ON: Brief press - disable/enable stability and traction control

ESP LONG PRESS when in 4WD LOW - Turns off Hill Descent control

4WD LOW - ESP is automatically turned off.

SPEED above 30MPH - ESP turns back on automatically even if disabled.

Thanks Martin.

I'll have a play this afternoon.

Although I'm not sure I can quite tally with the above. A brief press when in High 2wd seems to do nothing. No beeps, lights or visual aids to say it has done anything. A long press does do something.

In low the Hill Descent button turns this feature on/off. Not sure why you'd need to do the same with a long press of the ESP button?? Would seem a bit redundant. Unless when you turn ESP off in low it turns HDC off as well.

Bit annoying with it killing the throttle in high. Didn't seem to do it in 4wd High, but I wasn't getting the wheelspin, but I have a feeling the system may still interfere.

More
11 Aug 2020 15:39 #226519 by Roger Fairclough
The frontal collision warning and brake assist warning can be switched off by depressing the switch on the left of the 3 switch panel. You need ignition on and depress switch for a few seconds. Warning light will illuminate with display in orange marked "OFF". System resets each time ignition is switched off. Does anyone know how to switch it off permanently?
The traction control is mentioned in the handbook but noted as purely an automatic system which operates when traction is lost. If you were messing about then you probably activated the system automatically and it did what it was designed to do. There is no mention in the handbook of a method to turn it off.

Roger

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2020 16:05 #226520 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Turning the traction control off (Gen 4)
Re: Turning off collision warning permanently.
I made a 555 timer module which in effect 'pushes' the button (8 seconds) everytime you turn the ignition on. Of course you get the beep to tell you what's going on everytime. If you push the button again you turn the system back on.
All I've done is to create default off as opposed to on. Hope this helps, Chris

More
11 Aug 2020 16:27 #226521 by mlines
My answer is from the workshop manual

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
11 Aug 2020 16:50 #226522 by Busta
Does this mean that a Gen4 owners can't indulge in a nice drift around a stubble field? What a disappointment! That is one area where my Gen3 exceeds all other 4x4s.

More
11 Aug 2020 18:10 #226528 by mlines
As long as you keep below 30 it should work

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

More
11 Aug 2020 19:32 #226533 by 300bhpton
Well yes. Wanting to go a lot faster than 30mph. I know I use 4wd. But a real shame you can’t turn the TCS off properly.

More
12 Aug 2020 12:07 #226555 by Busta
30mph rules out 2nd gear skids. No fun! Had the same problem with the Range Rover. Tons of power but even with everything switched off the minute the fun starts the computer says no and switches everything back on again.

More
12 Aug 2020 13:20 #226562 by saxj

Busta wrote: 30mph rules out 2nd gear skids. No fun! Had the same problem with the Range Rover. Tons of power but even with everything switched off the minute the fun starts the computer says no and switches everything back on again.

Unfortunately it's 30kph not mph. And it is wheel speed not vehicle speed. So ad soon as one wheel exceeds 30kph, the ESC kicks back in.

Turning the hill hold off is useful, but is more useful when you realise before the time that you need it off. I had the hill hold activate when reversing down a very steep slope. It was a very tippy feeling situation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds