BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Newbie with overheating jimny

• rock botulin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2020 08:29 #226501 by rock botulin
Newbie with overheating jimny was created by rock botulin
Hello everyone,

Last night i went to collect my first jimny, its a maroon 08 plate vvt. All was going well until about an hour into the journey i glanced at the temp gauge and it was in the red.

I quickly turned the heater up full on hot and luckily the temp started dropping back to normal. I tried turning the heater back down after a while and pretty soon it started getting hot again. Not had chance to have a proper look yet, but just wondered if there was any common issues with them.

Anyway looking forward to getting it on the lanes for a proper test drive, is there any jimny owners local to northwich that go green laning?

Unfortunately i didnt manage to get any pics as it was late when i got home but ill post a pic when i take some.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2020 09:49 - 11 Aug 2020 09:51 #226504 by Scimike
Hi and congratulations on your first Jimny.
Start simple - check the fluid level, remove the radiator cap and check its full.
Viscous fan - when you start the car from cold you should notice electric AirCon fan turn due to air movement, after a few seconds it should stop or slow down. This indicates the fan coupling is working.
Check the condition of the radiator from an air flow point of view - blocked or clean?
Plenty more suggestions to follow, but they get harder to fix! Simple first.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Aug 2020 09:51 by Scimike.

• rock botulin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2020 10:06 #226505 by rock botulin
Replied by rock botulin on topic Newbie with overheating jimny
Thanks mike ill check and post back, i work at a ford dealer and we do an aftermarket range, i bought a water pump and thermostat because they were peanuts thermostat was about £4. Ill check the coolant, rad and fan first though but might just change those bits for peace of mind anyway. How hard is the water pump to change?

More
11 Aug 2020 10:09 #226506 by Scimike
Don't know, never had any cooling issues, so lack direct experience of the Jimny water works.
Others have indicated that the thermostat is a bit of a job, not sure what gets in the way.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
11 Aug 2020 16:56 #226525 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Newbie with overheating jimny
It's quite common for the radiator cap to fail, which prevents the coolant system from pressurising. Start with the easy things first!

More
11 Aug 2020 17:02 #226526 by mlines
On Jimnys it is quite common for the viscous fan hub to fail, therefore weak cooling when revving engine

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rock botulin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2020 12:12 #226613 by rock botulin
Managed to take a look last night, it had only lost a tiny bit of coolant i guess from running hot. I fired it up and the condenser fan span so the viscous fan works ok. I noticed a fair bit of leaves and muck and grass in between the rad and condenser. Not sure how much it takes to restrict air flow but ill clean it out, flush out the cooling system and put fresh antifreeze in and see what happens. Ill order a new rad cap as well.

More
13 Aug 2020 16:31 #226621 by Scimike
Sounds like a good plan, get the muck out of the radiator.
Top radiator hoses suffer and can be the reason for small amounts of coolant loss. They look ok but can enlarge with heat cycles etc, eventually the spring clip can't maintain a seal. What leaks can evaporate on the hot radiator, a hot coolant smell is the give away.
Have a close look at this as well.
Mike

• rock botulin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2020 09:51 #226832 by rock botulin
thanks, ill get one ordered

• rock botulin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2020 12:28 #228397 by rock botulin
Been a while since ive played around with the jimny was about to swap the insurance over from my mx5 when someone crashed into me so had to wait till that got sorted. Sooo i changed the top hose, rad cap, took the rad out cleaned all the crap out of it and flushed the coolant and changed. It seemed to work did about 200 miles temp was fine. Then i went on a pay and play day and it started to get hot trying to get out of a bog. Again i turned the heater on hot and it cooled down. Any more ideas i can try? was considering removing the condenser as the fins are pretty knackered anyway and its coming up to winter. Just thought it might improve air flow to the rad.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Sep 2020 15:56 #228399 by Lambert
I nursed mine for nearly 3 years with odd random symptoms like you have. Eventually I had to have a head gasket replacement. Is yours loosing coolant at all?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Sep 2020 15:59 #228400 by RainerK
You can test the viscous fan with a rolled newspaper or magazine when the engine is hot.

When the engine is idle, carefully try to stop the fan with the newspaper. If the visco clutch is OK, you should not be able to stop the fan.

Next I would change is the radiator because for me cleaning the radiator never worked.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds