BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Car dolly

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 12:26 #226347 by mickt
Car dolly was created by mickt
At the moment I have my soft top car stripped of eng and gearbox and back axle and transfer box and its on axle stands. I have a bit of welding to do and want to make a wheeled dolly to be able to move the car about to give me the room to get under it better. Now the chassis is a pain as it is at different heights front to rear and the centre part between the front rear spring mounts and the rear front spring mounts is not straight and although its possible to make a frame to fit it I wonder if the balance of the car will be correct in the front to rear axis.Hhas anybody made or seen a dolly to fit the bill or got any ideas to make one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2020 12:33 #226349 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Car dolly
if you're making one anyway why not, if you haven't already, remove both bumpers and pick up the ends of the chassis kinda like a rotisserie but fixed and on wheels?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 19:26 #226420 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Car dolly
I have not but it is a great idea as it would allow total access with the whole caboodle underneath. Most of the rust is at the rear wheel arches and rear member. Thanks for reply. I will start on it in the near future after I finish a couple of other projects like my welding table mods.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 19:34 #226422 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Car dolly
A neighbour made a rotisserie dolly for his Triumph Spitfire and itbworked a treat too. Inevitably the dolly was chopped up nfor another project when it had served its purpose. Chris

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2020 18:55 #226475 by mickt
I already have the bumpers removed and the front mounting points will be good but at the rear there is none per sa! From the photos you can see the rust. I have the two wavy arch panels so just have to set to and cut and weld new metal. Any advice on the rear attachment puzzle?
Attachments:

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 10:53 #226708 by mickt
Re-inspecting the rear the upper part of the chassis is a open ended rectangular box section so I think I can utilise that as the dolly mounting points.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds