BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What tyre psi you running???

More
31 Jul 2020 21:51 #225915 by Max Headroom

Phattaff wrote: Ok just checked my pressures OMG 30psi, now down to 20 phew.

The local garage topped up my neighbour's Jimny tyres to something around 32psi when it went in for a service.
As a result of that she almost took an unintentional excursion into the scenery.

What rattled her the most is that they did it not just the once but twice - even though she'd rebuked them for it the first time!

I think they've learned now

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Huffstuff
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 07:00 #225924 by Huffstuff
Replied by Huffstuff on topic Re:What tyre psi you running???
Interesting to see the metric Michelin TRX topic rear its head in the AT tyre world. 390 rims fitted to old Saab 900 and a few other exec saloons from the 1970's and 80's. They also fitted 340mm rims to take 160 section tyres to Citroen Visa GT models sold in the UK.
In the context of the time they were pretty good on sealed surfaces but not great in slippery conditions.
I can vouch for the notice on the tyre wall being correct. I tried popping an imperial diameter on a metric rim and the result was no chance of it fitting with a view of using it afterwards.
The reason for trying was the price of a metric tyre was about 5 or 10 times the price of an imperial tyre. Probably for the purist only and the performance has been overtaken by current technology and range of choice.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 11:22 #225934 by Grima

More
01 Aug 2020 11:33 #225935 by Soeley
Attachments:

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 11:39 #225936 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Re:What tyre psi you running???
Index - jimny chat - page20 - topic - tyre pressure for 215 75 15?
Lambert & Busta you both commented in this thread by B3HULK.
Have a read, It will back up what i said.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Aug 2020 11:49 #225937 by Lambert
I would suggest that the information in that link is debatable. The Jimny is and has been fitted with Bridgestone duelers for many years not bfg so that information is either market specific or not from Suzuki?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 12:11 #225938 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic What tyre psi you running???
The tyre pressure chart on the door sill is for factory fitted tyres. So if you have changed tyre size & make it no longer applies.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 12:19 #225939 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic What tyre psi you running???
When I had my tyres swapped the tyre fitting place had set them to 38psi. Boy was it a bouncy ride home. On the back of this thread I've gone from 26 to 24psi and it's made a world of difference.

I've got 225/70 16 Toyo open country tyres. Would you guys recommend even lower than 24?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Aug 2020 13:32 #225942 by Lambert
I've just reread the post mentioned and notwithstanding my confusion with regards to wheel offset I stand by the comments I made regarding the tyre pressure proposed to Hulk. The information provided by his contact at his local bfg agent doesn't seem to work. As far as can be determined the information provided seems to be based on some rework of the existing factory tyre pressure chart rather than asking for the individual axle load to then calculate the actual pressure with relation to the maximum weight and pressure determined by the load index specific to the actual tyre. It also seems to suggest significant over pressure for the stipulated off road conditions for example mud and sand at 19 psi in a Jimny is hardly any deflection at all, 10 or 12 psi is going to be nearer the mark to gain some kind of floatation and allow the tyre to conform around obstacles like rocks or roots rather than having to climb over them. Often times I have been able to drive my Jimny out of trouble by dropping the pressure to what almost looked flat.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 19:23 - 01 Aug 2020 19:29 #225954 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic What tyre psi you running???
Lambert, please don't apologise for the confusion over offset, your advice saved me from making a rather large financial error by not buying the "wrong" rims from Japan! Well done!! It transpired that the rims I was considering were cheap knock-offs, not JJ profile and of unknown (varying?) offset! They had copied Suzuki Parts Book data to market them.

The last two times I bought wheels (overseas) I had them sent by sea freight, as un-accompanied baggage from the UK to Australia. I still have not found a suitable way to replicate this method under Covid19 Conditions with a set of Steels from a Gen 4-SZ4.

Just you keep up the good work Lambert, we love you!! :)
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 19:29 by GeorgeC.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2020 20:18 #225956 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic What tyre psi you running???
Oh man I sold my sz4 steels and tyres on eBay last month. 350 for 5.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Aug 2020 20:26 #225957 by Lambert
Never sell anything, hoard everything, you never know how it might become useful!

Thanks George, glad you dodged the bullet.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds