BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Modified V Standard drive quality

More
19 Jul 2020 19:00 #225338 by kirkynut
Today I drove a standard 2003 Jimny. Something I've not done in years as mine has been lifted since I bought it over a decade ago and has since gained a rocklobster transfer box, external cage, metal bumpers and a winch.

My suspension consists of BigJimny Store 3" springs, Rough Country shocks and Off Road Armoury later spec castor correction arms.

The standard Jimny I drove today has 86k miles on it but none of the shocks leak and they all visually look ok.

I have to say that I prefer the ride quality of my lifted Jimny with no anti-roll bar.

My shocks and springs soak up bumps much better than the standard set up, possibly helped by the extra volume of air in the bigger tyres (237/75/15).

I was also underwhelmed by the acceleration. I thought it would be much more sprightly than my heavy caged and winch laden Jimjam but actually, it was only slightly brisker.

I have a slight whine from my old rocklobster with welded gears rather than new, but it's really not that much noisier in real terms. The high revving engine that needs to be worked creates quite a bit of noise in the standard car, more than I remember from when I owned one.

It's funny what you forget over the years when you have romantic idealisations over a model of car. I genuinely remembered standard Jimny's being a bit quicker and a bit more refined than they actually are. I thought I'd lost so much refinement from mine but I haven't, it jusr never existed.

I still love Jimnys though. I just accept them for what they are.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2020 19:53 #225348 by Lambert
One of these days you will have to have a go in my little Dreadnaught. If you are lucky I might even get the track springs under her and you can experience the joy of zero body roll (and a compacted spine injury).

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Jul 2020 20:04 #225351 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: One of these days you will have to have a go in my little Dreadnaught. If you are lucky I might even get the track springs under her and you can experience the joy of zero body roll (and a compacted spine injury).

Now Dreadnaught might be slightly sprightlier as it has VVT!

I think I secretly hanker after a 1.6!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2020 20:10 #225354 by Lambert
She is no drag racer not by any means but when we find a twist or 20 then we have fun with science aka conservation of momentum aka keep your foot in it you'll be fine!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jul 2020 07:40 #225414 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: She is no drag racer not by any means but when we find a twist or 20 then we have fun with science aka conservation of momentum aka keep your foot in it you'll be fine!

Oh yes Lambert! I have a great deal of experience in driving slow cars fast!

Kirkynut

More
21 Jul 2020 09:21 #225425 by Busta
From my experience having driven a handful of standard Jimnys the way they drive varies a lot even without taking modifications into account. Fresh shocks, good tyres and the correct tyre pressures can make night and day difference to a standard car. Even the condition of the seats makes a big difference! And I'm sure there is even greater range once you start considering modifications. Sounds like yours is done well though. For example, not many people bother to change the gearing but clearly that is a big factor in performance once you play with tyre sizes. I changed my diffs to compensate for 215/75r15 tyres and it's made a positive difference.
I do agree that they drive smoother without the anti roll bar, albeit with a bit more body roll.

More
21 Jul 2020 13:39 #225431 by Scimike
Have to agree with Busta, its impossible to compare the ride quality of two Jimnys unless they are fresh from the sale room. Even then you need to find a way to determine what constitutes an improvement, i.e average out the "human factor", whats good for one will be bad for another.
My 2009 (50K) Jimny had what looked like perfect dampers until I fitted new to improve the towing experience, one of the "perfect" rears was totally shot, no damping at all, but look perfect. You just cant tell and its why most new shocks etc are an improvement over the old ones, they are just simply worn compared to new!
I have read (online it must be true!!)that they recommend you should change dampers at 5 years, but who does that?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 Jul 2020 08:06 #225451 by Roger Fairclough
How can you recommend changing dampers at 5 years without introducing mileage covered! Then you would need to factor in the type of roads driven on as pure motorway driving on a decent surface (relatively speaking) to rough country roads has a marked effect on wear. At the moment damper condition is covered by the MoT and that's as it should be as the majority of people would not be able to point to a damper if you asked them to.

Roger

More
22 Jul 2020 11:27 #225459 by Busta

Roger Fairclough wrote: How can you recommend changing dampers at 5 years without introducing mileage covered! Then you would need to factor in the type of roads driven on as pure motorway driving on a decent surface (relatively speaking) to rough country roads has a marked effect on wear. At the moment damper condition is covered by the MoT and that's as it should be as the majority of people would not be able to point to a damper if you asked them to.

Roger

Isn't that true of any recommended service interval? It's a guide, and the point is that dampers degrade a lot quicker than most people realise.

More
22 Jul 2020 15:15 - 22 Jul 2020 15:26 #225461 by Scimike

Roger Fairclough wrote: How can you recommend changing dampers at 5 years without introducing mileage covered! Then you would need to factor in the type of roads driven on as pure motorway driving on a decent surface (relatively speaking) to rough country roads has a marked effect on wear. At the moment damper condition is covered by the MoT and that's as it should be as the majority of people would not be able to point to a damper if you asked them to.Roger

Hi Roger,It not my recommendation, its simply an article I have seen online that suggests this interval.
Its a bit like car tyres, some people (again not me) are saying they should be changed at X years as the rubber goes off etc. Fact, Fiction or just driving sales, I don't know!
I can confirm you can't detect all failed dampers on an MOT test. My Jimny was passing each year with a damper that offer no damping at all, the only way you could tell it had failed was when I removed it from the vehicle to fit better quality dampers. Here is a picture of the naughty damper, its the one on the left which should be the same extended length as the others!.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2020 15:26 by Scimike.

More
22 Jul 2020 21:48 #225481 by Roger Fairclough
Sorry Scimike, should have said "they" instead of "you".

This subject annoys me as a lot of manufacturers are changing service intervals to include an arbitrary time limit on service items such as cambelts.
My wife has an Audi Q3 Quattro with the 2 litre engine and 20,000 miles after 5 years but now we are told that the cam belt needs changing and whilst we are at it we should have the water pump replaced for good measure and it will only cost about £750!

Of course there was no mention of any of this in the service schedule we received when we bought the car. It's a fabulous car but the service dept. at the dealership are unscrupulous.

Roger

More
22 Jul 2020 22:12 #225483 by Scimike
Ouch, that would annoy me.
You are correct though, this sort of thing is starting to creep into modern motoring, I suspect to drive parts sales.
Happy to say that all my vehicles are out of warranty and out of the money grabbing service departments.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds