BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Values in five years time

More
15 Jul 2020 22:28 #225140 by lightning
Looking at buying a new model Jimny SZ5 and it’s going to cost me over list, the 2018 one l’ve seen is £21,000

Anybody got a prediction as to the residual value of a well looked after Jimny SZ5 after five years?

Just looking at finance options and whether l would be better off hanging on to our Defender.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Jul 2020 04:14 #225143 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Values in five years time
there are many variables obviously but on the basis of the very strong residuals that a late gen3 is demanding and the rarity of the gen4 I would expect fairly buoyant prices for a while yet. It depends on what we get as a replacement if anything at all?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• nogbad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2020 09:26 #225154 by nogbad
Replied by nogbad on topic Values in five years time
I often wonder how many Jimny's there are compared to Defenders ? as we don't often see any Jimnys when we go into the wilds of Derbyshire and I'm not just on about Jen 4 .

More
16 Jul 2020 09:34 - 16 Jul 2020 09:47 #225157 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Values in five years time
Tough decision, what spec is your Defender and how much do you think it's worth? Jimny is a more modern polished package than a Def, but if it's a recent model in good condition I'd be tempted to hang onto it.

Depends on your needs as well. If you need a car that's good at towing & humping loads with great off-road performance, then the Def is a better choice. If you're looking for something that has better on-road manners, offers greater comfort as a daily, better reliability and is easier to squeeze down narrow lanes, while also being great off-road, then the Jimny is it.

Edit: just saw your post on another thread:

lightning wrote: 2018 SZ5 manual in green (although Suzuki say it’s yellow) with 6,000 miles.
At £21,000 from a dealer.
I’ve test driven it and it seems fine, better in fact than the silver one we tried last year.
Maybe because it’s done more miles and loosened up a bit, but it felt quite lively where the silver one seemed lacking.
Looks like £20,000 is as low as prices get right now, and l’ve had an offer of £18,500 for the missus’s Defender 90.
Hopefully it will all come together.
Still leaves me with my Defender 110 so l am not completely abandoning Land Rover.
I just need one vehicle that doesn’t require continuous maintenance and money spending.

Seems like a no brainer to me - small reliable Jimny, plus 110 for load lugging and you don't have to find much cash if you can get £18.5k for the 90, I'd go for it.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2020 09:47 by Gadget.

More
16 Jul 2020 09:52 #225159 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Values in five years time
It's a tough call to predict anything these days, but a dealer "new" one is 24k, a dealer 18 plate is 21k, so it's lost about 1k per year. My normal rule of thumb is 1k per year, so it's appears to be following this. Many factors could change this, and as they say, investments can go down as well as up.
If the dealer's can't sell the pre-registered ones at 24K we will see a drop in these prices, if they do then it will hold the price higher for a little longer before the depreciation sets in.
If you want one get it, all cars are a complete waste of money.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Halsey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2020 10:00 #225160 by Halsey
Replied by Halsey on topic Values in five years time
IMHO you should assume its value will lose 30-40% after 5 years no matter what the current scarcity is - a careful review of lease deals will give you a good idea of the trades view of "residuals" - it will obviously depend on mileage and use over that period as well.

More
16 Jul 2020 12:09 - 16 Jul 2020 12:17 #225161 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Values in five years time
Thank you for the replies.
What l have is an almost impossible decision and it’s also not helped my mistakes l’ve made in the past.

The Defender is a pristine 2005 90 XS Station Wagon...the holy grail of Defenders.
XS means aircon, heated screen, heated seats, ABS traction control etc
Post 2004 means the better one piece doors and pre 2006 means lower road tax. Later TDCi versions are not as well loved.
I bought it last year for £14,500 and have spent £7,000 on it to make it as good as it is now.
However with the current situation, running two Defenders is costing a fair bit.
The Jimny well we both loved it, and l’ve found one in the colour we wanted.
I’ve had an offer of £18,500 for the Land Rover which means the Jimny will need a small loan to purchase.

So, the Jimny will be cheaper to run and will hold it’s value better than a car, but l am losing a chunk of money on the Defender selling it now, and values of these won’t go down.

As l said, there’s advantages of both and despite running the figures and losing sleep l am no nearer to a decision.

Keep the Land Rover or sack it and go for the lower running costs of the Jimny

My missus isn’t stressed about the money, she would happily drive the Jimny and never think about the money we’ve lost, as she looks at it as part of life.

I wish l was as easy going as her !!
Last edit: 16 Jul 2020 12:17 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Jul 2020 12:25 #225164 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Values in five years time
if the Mrs isn't fussed then get a bigger loan and keep the defender as an investment in the garage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightning

More
16 Jul 2020 17:28 #225179 by ObsessiveMonk
I think there are a number of factors to take in to consideration as has been mentioned in other posts, but I have been impressed by the residual value of other Gen Jimnys.
I pick up my Jimny on Saturday (luckily purchased in March at list price) and have it on a PCP deal - in three years the balance to pay will be £11k - I am hopefuly that it will be worth that and, fingers crossed a bit more (I only do 4,500 miles a year so will be low milage too).

More
16 Jul 2020 18:38 - 16 Jul 2020 18:39 #225181 by lightning
I have thought about storing the Defender and it’s a very good idea, trouble is it won’t fit in our garage as it’s too tall, and l can’t find anywhere else safe to store it.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2020 18:39 by lightning.

More
16 Jul 2020 21:05 #225189 by lightning
We’ve talked about it tonight and are leaning towards getting the Jimny and keeping one Land Rover.

Just have to write off the money lost on the Land Rover, it’s a lot less than we’d have lost on an ordinary car.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds