BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Getting ripped off?

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2020 11:19 #224581 by ColinTheViking
Getting ripped off? was created by ColinTheViking
So on Saturday I broke down on the road. RAC came and towed me to a a garage as they couldn’t fix the issue, it’s a broken crank shaft pulley. I would replace it all myself as it seems kind of simple to do but I’m at the mercy of the garage because I have no way of towing the old boy home. Now I just want to double check that I’m not being ripped off. They’ve quoted £350 for new belts and pulley all original Suzuki parts. I feel like that’s on the high side but I’m not sure? Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 14:45 #224591 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Getting ripped off?
How far from home is the garage?
Maybe get a quote from an independent recovery service.
Price up parts. Then recovery to your home price
Then see if a significant savings could be had

More
06 Jul 2020 15:39 #224597 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Getting ripped off?
Cant argue with the logic above ^^^
Just to add I believe that removing the front crank pulley may require draining the cooling system and removal of the radiator(s), as sometimes the nut can be tight and access is poor. Or its just easier if the rads not in the way. Just for consideration if you feel like the DIY approach.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Jul 2020 21:48 #224611 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Getting ripped off?
Genuine Suzuki parts are expensive. Genuine crank shaft pulley costs £187, aftermarket £71!
BigJimny shop is a good place to their check prices.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2020 21:57 #224613 by ColinTheViking
Replied by ColinTheViking on topic Getting ripped off?
I ended up having to go with their price since it’s my daily and I don’t have time to wait for parts and then take radiator off etc to swap it out. I guess on the positive they use genuine Suzuki parts but still a bummer having to cough up £350 when trying to save for 2” lift.

More
08 Jul 2020 08:18 #224673 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Getting ripped off?
A 2" lift isn't much good on a car that doesn't run. Always best to get the basics right before you start spending on modifications!

More
08 Jul 2020 08:34 #224674 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Getting ripped off?
Yep, such is life. Lift kit in time - things like this happen which is completely unforeseeable.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds