BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Setting off on first leg to Bulgaria.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2020 18:23 #224923 by Lambert
Excellent news. Glad you had an uneventful time!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2020 18:29 #224925 by jackonlyjack

More
12 Jul 2020 19:48 #224957 by Reason2doubt
Well done! Glad you are home.

Sorry to hear you got fined - if its any consolation I got a speeding ticket when travelling through Italy so just as eventful really!

More
12 Jul 2020 20:12 #224962 by Soeley

BGBrit wrote: Not exactly without a headache Soeley - just the Jimny doing well.. I was caught by the German police who were very professional and humanly they were sympatric to my illegal travelling, even though, they fined me €100.00 we shook hands at the end of it. I'll give you all three guesses what I did illegally throughout Europe... Tony.

You drove on the wrong side of the road? :whistle:

More
12 Jul 2020 21:00 #224966 by BGBrit
Good guesses, but, I've been driving on the wrong and right side of the road and back again for 12 years so it wasn't that - I was carrying a warning triangle, a yellow vest, fire extinguisher, spare bulbs etc. As for speeding, no, and difficult to do towing a ton of caravan. Anyone else with a guess or two. I was oblivious too until pulled over and it was explained, only then did it make sense. It's one thing not knowing you're not legal and another when you do, I was running the gauntlet from mid Europe to home from then on. Tony.

More
12 Jul 2020 21:41 - 12 Jul 2020 21:43 #224971 by Fossie
:dry: A guessing game eh? What cost 100 euros in fines when caught doing something you have to do in Europe but not in UK when towing ....?:blink: Safety chain from tow bar to trailer/ caravan?
Last edit: 12 Jul 2020 21:43 by Fossie.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2020 02:01 #224975 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Setting off on first leg to Bulgaria.
Ok, I'll have a guess: Using the Licence/Rego Plate from the rear of the Car on the Caravan? :ohmy:

More
13 Jul 2020 05:41 #224976 by BGBrit
Not the safety chain Fossie had a new one added 'a bright red one.' George C you got it.... My car is registered in Bulgaria with licence plates obviously of that country fixed front and rear of the Jimny therefore to tow with my car putting my rear plate on the back of an Engish caravan is not legal because in many countries the trailer is registered in its own right having its own number plate. In Britain, this is not the case, as we all know... However, at the Romanian/Bulgarian border they were so concerned at an Englishman entering their country bringing the 'English covid-19' they were too busy to check the caravan plates, so, luckily I got through to home with lots of bumf on my 14 days quarantine. I was lucky not to be fined through all six countries I crossed into. We live and learn!!! Tony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
13 Jul 2020 06:06 #224977 by Soeley
I would never have guessed that.

More
13 Jul 2020 06:44 #224978 by BGBrit
Nor me Soeley... I thought I had all perfect. 48 psi in the caravan tyres - loaded pressures on the Jimny tyres - spare bulbs first aid stuff - two 5 liters of petrol in the caravan locker - even snow chains!!!! - European heath insurance card - full car insurance, green card - Visa card for petrol, about 8 face masks - self-isolation sleeping in the caravan... But still ilegal !!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2020 08:51 #224981 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Setting off on first leg to Bulgaria.
Had I seen a photo of the set-up I would have picked it up and said something.
I lived in Jersey for a couple of years and was familiar with the practice and seen many English immigrants try to do the same here in Australia! :)

More
13 Jul 2020 09:20 #224983 by BGBrit
Not to worry George C,,,, It was for me a case of not knowing what I didn't know, and therefore the question of towing a UK caravan with a Bulgarian car didn't send alarm bells ringing at all... Different countries do different things it's all about insurance, I suppose. A UK car towing a UK caravan is covered by UK insurance. Not the same in many EU countries, both car and caravan must have their own plates and be registered in the same country, I assume! (again dangerous to assume). A Bulgarian registered car towing say a French registered caravan would also be illegal I think. Anyway €100 lesson learnt.. Tony.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds