BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Steering wheel wobble/shaking

• Chrille0131
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2020 19:32 #224410 by Chrille0131
Steering wheel wobble/shaking was created by Chrille0131
Hi!

I recently bought a 2017 jimny with about 25 000km on the meter and next to brand new condition, and overall i love it!

I have noted though that when i brake at 80-90 km/h the steering wheel wobbles/shakes. It’s only at speeds of 80-90 km/h and the shaking doesn’t occur with speeds over 90 or under 80.

Is this normal for a car with solid axles etc or should i be worried? I could take it back to the dealer and ask if they could take a look at it, but now during the summer i work a lot and i might not have time for it until the end of august.

The car is 100% stock.

Will i “break” anything driving around with this condition or should i be alright?

I may have occurred after I swapped from winter to summer tyres, but shouldn’t it wobble all the time if the tyres was the problem?

Thanks!

//Christoffer
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 22:20 - 02 Jul 2020 22:24 #224415 by Scimike
Hi and welcome.
It's a fact that solid axle vehicles are susceptible to steering wobble, the Jimny is no exception. However if everything is working "as it left the factory" then it should not have any noticeable issues.
If it's only happening when you touch the brakes it's sounds like you may have a warped or rusty disk, or even a sticking caliper which is introducing the wobble to the axle. I would start by checking the calipers are free to slide and the disks are free of rust or pitting. After this put your winter tyres back just to eliminate the summer ones as a possible cause.
I am assuming the rest of the time you don't experience any wobble, it's only during braking. If you get it when you hit a bump or potholes then it may indicate worn kingpin bearings etc.
All the best
Mike

Edit - it's unlikely you will break anything driving with this issue, but it will eventually cause extra wear and it's just not comfortable as a driver, so it's best to find the cause and eliminate it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Jul 2020 22:24 by Scimike. Reason: Will not break it

• Chrille0131
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2020 17:40 #224729 by Chrille0131
Replied by Chrille0131 on topic Steering wheel wobble/shaking
Thank you for your answer!

Yes it’s only shaking/wobbling when braking.
I looked over the disks and i noticed that the wear was kinda rough, almost as if gravel had got stuck between the breakpads and disks and created tiny but a lot of ”bumbps” on the disk. Hard to get a good picture of but the picture below might illustrate what i mean!

//Christoffer
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2020 18:20 #224732 by Scimike
I had similar on the rear of my disks, it induced a pulsed feeling under light braking and a brief wobble under high speed braking, but my damper sorted it out so it never became a problem. I have subsequently changed both disks and now have smooth brakes, so it's likely this is your problem, but you can never be 100% sure. The good news is it's a very easy job to change the disks, but you are also going to need new pads if you go this route.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Jul 2020 23:33 #224742 by lightning
Definitely warped brake discs. Happens more often with the modern non-asbestos brake pads.
Cheap and easy fix.
Replace the brake pads as well, even if they look OK.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds