BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jimny 4th gen front foglights

• manos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2020 07:32 - 30 Jun 2020 07:33 #224271 by manos
jimny 4th gen front foglights was created by manos
I bought the new jimny gen 4 and the front fog lights are always on during the day, unable to switch them off from the indicator lever. at night when lights are on the lever works fine,

thanks & congrats 4 your site
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 07:33 by manos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2020 07:52 #224274 by Soeley
The lights are dual purpose. Two bulbs in each light.
One is the foglight.
The other is the DRL (Daytime Running Light)

The DRLs will switch off when the dipped beam headlight is turned on. The fog lights can be turned on once the side lights are on.

The DRLs cannot be switched off.

• manos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2020 09:56 #224279 by manos
Replied by manos on topic jimny 4th gen front foglights
thank you! isn't that a quirk? why do we need the lights on during daytime? what about the lifetime of these lights if they are always on?

More
30 Jun 2020 10:17 #224281 by Doctorchris
DRLs are a legal requirement. The bulbs are cheap. Just check them regularly, which you are obviously doing and replace as necessary.

More
30 Jun 2020 11:01 #224283 by Soeley

manos wrote: thank you! isn't that a quirk? why do we need the lights on during daytime? what about the lifetime of these lights if they are always on?

Where are you based? As said above DRLs are now a legal requirement for cars built after a certain date for Europe and probably more countries as well.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2020 12:24 #224286 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic jimny 4th gen front foglights
Soeley, as far as I am aware DRLs are not a legal requirement, they're a type approval requirement. A car built after a set date must leave the factory with them.
Somewhere on the forum there's an MOT station chap who can probably shed more light on this. Chris

More
30 Jun 2020 12:29 #224287 by Scimike
Gov uk web site:-
Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 20111 . In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.
DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

• manos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2020 14:48 #224288 by manos
Replied by manos on topic jimny 4th gen front foglights
I'm in greece, this law is absurd, requires lights on during daytime from manufacturers? the success of the jimny in europe probably led to its prohibition, european cars are money pits & very expensive

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2020 15:03 #224289 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic jimny 4th gen front foglights
Thanks for that Mike, I confess I don't keep up to date with this stuff anymore but it's still a subject that interests me. The conflict between type approval and the law, your last paragraph explaining the different ways the lights can work is classic type approval. The manufacturers have to jump through hoops to satisfy the codes but the law on occasion will shy away from new legislation as the rules are too vague and hard to define.
Most type approval codes will find themselves in law but some won't, I believe TPMS still occupies this shady world and it's been around for ever. I wouldn't imagine anyone removing DRLs for the sake of it (what's the point) but other TA stuff that annoys you maybe. Chris

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds