BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cylinder Compression m13a

• Yohai
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2020 19:25 #223749 by Yohai
Cylinder Compression m13a was created by Yohai
Hi everyone!

I had Jimmy 2017 with 60,000 kilometers, in the last few months engine warm up(not to the end) only in warm weather and only when up hill(normal road) and then I feels power is missing, also noticed that condensing tank was almost full(coolant return to radiator after cooling), before engine warm up i remember in warm days he goes up 2-3 centimeters.
last month I changed thermostat, radiator cup, coolant replaced(no signs for mod or rust), checked fan clutch all sims to work fine only one noise from engine, it sounds like air leaking.
I checked everything connected and then was thinking maybe the Head gasket is leaking so i made cylinder pressure check and i got about 100 psi all cylinders, that ok?

Test was made with warm engine and all plugs out, also full open throttle.

I understand by engine details compression ratio 9.5:1 is about 140 psi, in workshop manual 199psi not making any sense

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2020 20:28 - 19 Jun 2020 20:53 #223752 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
Hi
A marked difference in each cylinder pressure reading is usually the indication you have an issue rather than the actual pressure recorded. So it's good that they are all the same, but 100psi is very low. My worn out 1960 land Rover engine manages 120 (just!), I would have expected higher on a low milage Jimny, although I don't know what the real "good" figure should be.
Can you do a pressure test on the cooling system or a cylinder head leak test that looks for exhaust gas in the cooling system? This may be a better indication of head gasket failure as I don't understand why they are all 100psi, unless it's just gauge tolerance. You can get tester kits on eBay etc.

Just out of interest why did you change the thermostat, did you have overheating issues?
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Jun 2020 20:53 by Scimike.

• Yohai
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2020 21:23 #223753 by Yohai
Replied by Yohai on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
Hi Mke

Thank for your answer, No missing coolant so i cant see reason to check cooling system pressure, my thought was leaking From gasket push coolant to condensing tank although no bubbles come out from radiator.
Anyway its good idea to check gas leaks from radiator, I’ll do that.

Yes engine got overheating same time the air leaking Noise appeared, only overheating in extreme conditions like deep sends or up hill in regular road and only in hot weather so I thought maybe the thermostat doesn’t open till end.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2020 09:05 #223757 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
This is what mine was doing pushing coolant into the expansion bottle and getting quite warm with moderate work. My head gasket was beginning to fail, very minor when I detected it and got it changed. The garage said it was not at all obvious to find but it was there. Make sure that the head is given a light machine to clean it back up so it seals properly, its not a job you want to do twice in quick succession.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Yohai
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2020 10:05 #223760 by Yohai
Replied by Yohai on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
Thank you for reply
Head gasket was my first concern, you said “light machine to clean it up” you meant to milling the head so he is straight?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2020 10:36 #223764 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
Yes. It should only need a fraction of a millimetre just enough to make sure it is flat unless the head is badly warped but that might be better with a replacement one that is known to not be badly damaged. But that would manifest itself as a much more serious set of symptoms.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jun 2020 13:50 #223773 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Cylinder Compression m13a
Many videos on YouTube with people using a sander or a flat surface to sand down imperfections. If it is warped i would send it to a shop that know how too though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds