BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Kingpin bearing drivers side replaced today.

More
19 Jun 2020 17:47 #223747 by BGBrit
Finally replaced the bearings as per Martin's video. The last time I did it five years ago, the circlip popped out in seconds this time 50 minutes of struggle. I've added a picture of the Jimny and the Abbey Iona caravan as requested by Gus..

Tony.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gusthegorilla, Scimike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2020 07:48 - 20 Jun 2020 07:49 #223755 by gusthegorilla
:ohmy:
My God, Tony, I was expecting something half that size :ohmy:
Will be very interested in your journey home...I have two Jimnys, but I keep a VW Tiguan for pulling my tourer...might just rethink this, based on your adventures.....

....thanks for sharing, Tony....take care going home

Gus

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 07:49 by gusthegorilla. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

More
20 Jun 2020 08:35 - 20 Jun 2020 08:38 #223756 by Scimike
Hi Tony,
I have something half that size, maybe it's the camera perspective, but it looks massive compared to the Jimny. I am sure it's within the braked towing limit, but like Gus I also would be interested in your journey home and how the Jimny Performed. I may be rethinking and up sizing the van!
Have a great Journey back and take care. Let's us know how it goes.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 08:38 by Scimike. Reason: Can't spell.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2020 09:36 #223759 by Lambert
I look at that rig and think that's about perfect, you see a lot of golf sized cars towing that size van round these parts and I genuinely believe that a Jimny is a much better towing vehicle than a front wheel drive eurobox hatchback. I notice also that you have a roof box on your Jimny while it won't do much for your fuel consumption it will help your windage and make a bit more of a hole for the van to sit in. That said I would suggest a steady approach to side winds and even being overtaken by wagons as you have quite a side area to be aware of. My big trailer for Dreadnaught is only single storey so kinda within the profile of the car and it's twin axle wheel outside so very stable in itself but its heavy when full of sheep which insist on moving about as you drive which means it can try to lift and push the car more on undulating surfaces rather than following on behind nice and quietly. Has that van got a coupling stabilizer of some kind like an alko hitch?

Ultimately so long as you load it with a bit of nose weight and don't drive like you're in a demolition derby you are going to be fine

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jun 2020 10:16 #223761 by Scimike
I think you are spot on Lambert, but it's the shear size difference that plays with my mind.:laugh:
I pull about 500kg which it copes with fine, 50mph on the motorway is the about the comfortable limit, and it's a steady 30 - 40 on anything else.
If it can do similar with more weight and drag it opens up possibilities to a full size van, so really interested in how it performs.

Have you towed the sheep trailer on motorway, how did it do?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 10:26 - 20 Jun 2020 10:28 #223763 by Lambert
On the flat it sits at 60 or the prevailing limit for a trailer all day but any kind of prolonged inclination has the gear stick flying anything that you lose momentum on. There is a caveat to this though; I tend to drive at the back of queues not at the front of them

Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 10:28 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit, Scimike

More
20 Jun 2020 10:49 #223765 by Scimike
That sounds promising, the 50mph limit I have is more me than the Jimny.
So in a nut shell I am at the front of the queue :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry about that
Mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, BGBrit

More
20 Jun 2020 11:57 #223768 by BGBrit
Hi All... Yes, it does look massive... Camera angle... It's 855kgs empty, and now I have it packed its total weight is 970kgs the maximum for this caravan is 1050kgs... Of course, it is braked, and there's an Alko fiction hitch fitted (I put new fiction pads in a month ago). I have hitched it up to the Jinmy already and drove it 45 miles through towns and along the A19 from Newcastle to Middlesbrough, and to be honest in my ignorance I just took off without a thought (ignorance can be bliss). I had no issues at all doing 50 mph, which is my wife's preferred speed and to be honest it's mine also, but both the caravan and Jimny were unloaded.
As for travelling across the EU in the Jimny I've completed it there and back in days, but without the caravan. With the caravan time will not be an issue, the max speed will be 50mph and if it takes 10-12 days so be it. Safety first, over speed. At least I'll have a bed and a cuppa, if I break down and need to fix something, so no problem. I have read somewhere the Jimny is capable of towing up to 1300kgs so I'm well within weight limits, and I'll have no passengers either.
Of course, a bigger car or van would be nice but then I'd probably have a bigger caravan and well, I have what I've got the Jimny and the Abbey.
Thanks for the well wishes and of course when I get home I'll let you know how I got on 'warts an' all'
Tony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gusthegorilla

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 12:03 #223769 by Lambert
Good man. I know that the UK's towing speed limits are 60 on motorways and dual carriageways and 50 on single carriageway trunk roads unless posted lower. It is going to be worth checking out the various limits in the countries you're travelling through for vehicles with a trailer they may be less than expected.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds