BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jul 2020 04:26 #225603 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Do you mean the bump stops or the spring seat isolation pads?

Castor correction on a 50mm lift seems to be entirely dependent on the specific vehicle and the driver. For some people it is not a problem for others it removes the self centering of the steering and promotes vagueness and even death wobble. Try it without first and see how it feels.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 05:52 - 25 Jul 2020 05:52 #225604 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help

Scot The Sniper wrote: Ok back again just got my shocks threw so gonna fit the rear springs and shocks. I have 2 questions

1. On trolling threw the facebook jimny groups i noticed someone doing a 2" lift and asking if he should put the rubber cones back in on top of the lift kit when i took my plastic 1.5 inch lift spacers out of my spring i did not have any rubber cones to put back in will i need these please.

2 will i need to buy castor correction bushes for the front radious arms

Thx in advance

1. Yes - the spring seats are there to stop metal on metal contact, i.e. the spring in the chassis cup, so there should be a rubber "cone" on the top of each spring, or rather in the chassis cup...

2. As per Lambert's reply... it all depends on the actual lift you get from the advertised 2" lift kit... some need castor correction, some dont... the trailmaster kit for instance, I feel is a conservative 2" lift ;) Many people report more than a 2" lift, as when you fit a lift kit you are replacing an old tired sagged spring with a new heavier duty one... As Lambert says, best way is to fit the springs and take it out for a drive, see how it feels to you... if it wanders lane to lane, feels vague, or wobbles... you'll decide you may need castor correction (offset bushes or new arms)...
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 05:52 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
25 Jul 2020 09:03 #225614 by jackonlyjack
I'm pretty sure he's asking about the 8 body mounting rubbers ??
These fit between body and chassis YES you will need them in

But i could be miss understanding :unsure:

More
25 Jul 2020 14:49 #225636 by Scot The Sniper
Sorry guys my fault it the rubber cone that goes above the front and rear springs. So im not testing the springs on the bare metal i think there probably for to stop the spring making a noise my suspention had previously not be raised but it had 1.5 spacers put in and the last owner must of took out the rubbrr cones and threw them away hope that makes more sense. So not that i jave replaced the normal springs with 3" springs i have to the spacers out as i did not want 3" springs on there plus the 1.5 spacers that would of took the suspention to 4.5 inches

More
25 Jul 2020 14:51 #225637 by Scot The Sniper
Lambert probably is the bump stops now that u mention it

More
02 Aug 2020 15:20 #225984 by Scot The Sniper
Ok need more help please.
Ok fitted the 4 3" springs 4x 3" shocks took out for a test drive pulling badly to the right you need to keep hold of the steering any ideas please guys

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Aug 2020 15:46 #225985 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Other than the springs and dampers have you fitted things like extended panhard bars and longer brake lines?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Aug 2020 15:51 #225986 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Steering bars are too long or need adjusted (if adjustable) im afraid.

A wheel alignment/tracking at a garage is always needed after altering this sort of stuff. Problem is finding one that will work on a modified car usually :-(

Panhard rods are probably out as well (or have you covered that already?) If adjustable you need to set them so that the axle is central to the chassis. Measure off the chassis to the tyre and get it in the middle before worrying about the steering bars.

If you do take it to a garage for an alignment/tracking the steering 'toe-in' should be set at 2 degrees inwards (for a standard car, maybe less for huge tyres). The only other thing they can adjust is the panhards (if adjustable), but thats more for centering the axle to the car properly, but it does have an affect on the steering position so needs set before the steering bars ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
02 Aug 2020 16:26 #225988 by Scot The Sniper
Im losing the will to live with this jimny all cause i noticed a broken spring all it had was a 3" body lift too
So now i need to buy adjustable panhard rods

More
02 Aug 2020 16:40 #225989 by Roger Fairclough
Sorry about this but 4th picture page 2 appears to show heavily corroded brake pipes in the background.

Roger

More
02 Aug 2020 16:41 #225990 by Roger Fairclough
Sorry , meant to say 3rd picture.

Roger

More
02 Aug 2020 17:43 #225991 by Scot The Sniper

Roger Fairclough wrote: Sorry , meant to say 3rd picture.

Roger

Hi roger thx for this info i had spotted these before and on actual fact there the vacuum pipes for the 4x4 and thete in had im gonna use brake pipe to fix them but thanks for the info

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds