BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Automatic gearbox advice..

• Jcg1694
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2020 21:24 #222690 by Jcg1694
Automatic gearbox advice.. was created by Jcg1694
Hello everyone just joined,

Wanting some advice on my Jimny.. 2015 Automatic.. can anyone tell me what RPM they're revving at when running 60-70mph down motorways? I've been told these have an overdrive but not sure whether mines engaging correctly or not! Im revving at around 4k at 60mph.. and 4.5k at 70mph.. any advice or reply is appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2020 04:02 #222694 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Automatic gearbox advice..
If everything is stock, it sounds like you are only getting to 3rd gear.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the JB43 auto shift lever has 2 positions for drive. In the "D - 3" position, if you move the lever a little to the right, the transmission will only shift from 1st to 3rd. If you have it solid to the left (still in D - 3), it will shift through all 4 gears.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Jcg1694
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 04:58 #222698 by Jcg1694
Replied by Jcg1694 on topic Automatic gearbox advice..
Everythings stock bud as far as I know, ill try what you've just said on my way home from work now, thanks pal

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2020 05:04 #222699 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Automatic gearbox advice..
They also have a warm up phase when you only get upto 3rd until they have warmed through which can take a few miles.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 May 2020 05:09 #222700 by zukebob
Hope that is all it is. I should have confirmed that you didn't get a light signaling a fault. If you do, you should probably have it checked for a fault code. I've never had a problem with the auto on my Jimny but I think the TCM will signal the ECU and you will get a fault code.

With a code, you may find one of theses is at fault:

Attachments:

• Jcg1694
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 06:03 #222702 by Jcg1694
Just got home and tried what you said but doesn't seem to be engaging that overdrive still, I forgot to add my engine management light is present, we've used our diagnostic reader and its showing 'undocumented code - P188700' I can only assume its possibly one of the above throwing up the code.. can't really find anything online that will tell me what causes the code!

• Jcg1694
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 06:05 #222703 by Jcg1694
I've read that aswell mate was hoping that's possibly all it was, but I've just drove 33 miles down the motorway and still no overdrive, unless they take a really long time to get to temperature?

More
23 May 2020 06:11 #222704 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Automatic gearbox advice..
Are we sure there's a problem here. It's a long time since I drove a standard Jimny but 4k @ 60 mph and 4500 at 70 mph does not seem unfeasible to me on a manual. They're designed to run at high revs but I cannot be sure that standard ones run that high and have never driven an automatic Jimny.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Jcg1694
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 06:19 #222705 by Jcg1694
I was thinking that myself in all honesty, this is the first jimny I've ever drove so wasn't expecting it to be a motorway kind of car, and didn't know anyone who has owned an automatic one either to ask if it was running as it should

More
23 May 2020 06:31 - 23 May 2020 06:32 #222707 by zukebob
The auto should be at about 3000 RPM for 60 mph and 3400 RPM for 70 mph. Not being entirely stock I had to go back and check my original numbers in the Grim Jeeper website. The manuals are a bit lower geared and the numbers he gave are about right for the manual.

Output shaft speed sensor?

Not sure if your 188700 is the same code

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2020 06:32 by zukebob.

More
23 May 2020 06:34 #222708 by kirkynut

Jcg1694 wrote: I was thinking that myself in all honesty, this is the first jimny I've ever drove so wasn't expecting it to be a motorway kind of car, and didn't know anyone who has owned an automatic one either to ask if it was running as it should

Yeah, I'm not convinced that you have a problem. I remember driving a 1999 standard manual one to Wales from Essex years ago, which I later owned for a short while and that revved so highly in 5th we only did short bursts at 70 mph. That was a manual.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
23 May 2020 06:52 #222709 by kirkynut
I've just sat and Googled it and most car reviews for the Gen 3 Jimny say 4k rpm at 70 mph but they're in a manual, so not comparing apples with apples.

They're also driving the last iteration of the Gen 3.

Is there a third gear holding gear for you to force it to stay in 3rd and see what the revs are at 70?

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds