BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 - Smell of burning oil

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2020 08:11 #222002 by B3Hulk
Gen 4 - Smell of burning oil was created by B3Hulk
Hi all,

I have the Gen 4 2019 Jimny with about 11 xxxkms so far on the speedo so fairly new.

While driving at high speeds or flooring the gas for over taking, I can smell burning oil. (I drive with the vents open)

Has anyone have similar issues?I assumed it was due to the engine breaking in but surely it should of stopped by now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2020 08:32 - 08 May 2020 08:35 #222006 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Gen 4 - Smell of burning oil
No smells for me from my Gen4 so far, but my 2011 Gen3 always smelled of oil after a reasonable run. I never found the leak during the 80000kms I ran it, but there must have been one there. Never seemed to use oil though as it never needed topping up between services for me.
All I can suggest is taking it in to the Suzuki agent and getting them to try hard to find it under warranty.

Edit: just to add that I only smelled oil burn after stopping in the garage after a run. Never smelled it while driving.
Last edit: 08 May 2020 08:35 by Jimnyz.

More
08 May 2020 09:32 #222008 by Scimike
I doubt it's normal for both G3 and G4 to smell of hot oil.
Can you smell it when you stop and get out of the vehicle after a run?
If you can't I doubt it's an oil leak, my Land Rover stinks the same moving as it does stationary, simply as it leaks like a sieve.
So if it's only when moving it suggests exhaust or engine fumes are entering the cabin. Maybe worth checking all the pipes and exhaust, but it's in warranty so get the dealer do it.

Is the rear door seal ok?
Sounds daft maybe, but running my Land Rover with the rear flap open results in the exhaust fumes bring sucked into the vehicle.

All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 May 2020 10:22 #222009 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 - Smell of burning oil
No smells from me, that's a lie actually :laugh: But definitely non coming from my Jimny.

More
08 May 2020 22:07 #222036 by Bob1050
No smells or evidence of burning oil from my 2019 model - and it's done a few more miles/kilometres than yours. Can I suggest you do a detailed visual inspection under the bonnet and transmission tunnel. If you are getting a nasty odour entering the cabin via the vents - chances are it's from the front end of the Jimny. If oil is leaking from a gasket and migrating onto hot components like the exhaust manifold - it should be evident (stains). Did wonder if the smell actually originated from the vehicle you were overtaking?

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2020 01:46 #222037 by B3Hulk
Replied by B3Hulk on topic Gen 4 - Smell of burning oil
hmmmm odd.

I figured it might be from high revs at high speed because it doesn't happen any other time.

I will inspect the engine bay and see what I can find.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds