BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wheel/tyre rotation and TPMS (Gen4)

• Eacg14
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2020 21:57 #221860 by Eacg14
Ignition to "ON", press in and hold the button/dial thing on the bottom right of the cluster until the menu pops up. Then you can scroll through the menu and find TPMS reset.

Right, Bob?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2020 07:40 #221867 by Bill Portland

Eacg14 wrote: Ignition to "ON", press in and hold the button/dial thing on the bottom right of the cluster until the menu pops up. Then you can scroll through the menu and find TPMS reset.

Right, Bob?

Hi thanks, but there's no reset there, just the ability to view the pressures, if the system is working. If it's not working, you just see 4 "--".
You can change from "comfort" to "load" mode, but that's all.

More
04 May 2020 07:48 - 04 May 2020 07:50 #221868 by mlines
In the UK on the SZ5 purchased summer 2019, there is no reset option.

The menu options differ from country to country.

Can I recommend stating the age, model and country in any reply for clarity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 04 May 2020 07:50 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
04 May 2020 07:52 #221869 by Bill Portland

GeorgeC wrote:

Eacg14 wrote: Ignition to "ON", press in and hold the button/dial thing on the bottom right of the cluster until the menu pops up.
Then you can scroll through the menu and find TPMS reset.
Right, Bob?

See Pages 3-69,70,71 in the PDF Manual.

There is a scanable PDF here: www.facebook.com/groups/2184373498316066/files/

Thanks again George. The manual is a bit misleading in that it states that you have to have a dealer set or reset the system. It is also wrong when it says that the spare doesn't have a sensor. It does - at least mine does, and also those that have had no problems when changing wheels must have one in their spares too.

The good news is that, at the 3rd attempt, I went for another drive and after about a mile the warning disappeared and the system is working fine again, including the spare (which is not the spare anymore). Martin was right, it seems a bit flakey but it will auto reset given enough opportunities. I blame 5g!

More
04 May 2020 08:21 - 04 May 2020 08:22 #221870 by mlines
Bill

Glad its working. I think that the flakiness of the auto is why the UK Dealer manual puts emphasis on the manual reset.

There is a list of reasons in the manual as to why the TPMS system may fail to learn or generally miss read the sensors.

Your joke about 5G is close to the mark. TPMS works on the ISM (Industrial Medical Scientific) frequency of 433Mhz which is bang in the middle of the Military (primary user) and Amateur (secondary user) radio band (UK allocations). Therefore transmissions from these will interfere. The specific ISM frequency is used by all sorts of low power devices such as remote keys for cars, indeed "Remote Keys" is listed as a reason TPMS readings may fail, along with RF shielding (the car is a tin box with the wheels on the outside).

I learnt to not trust it when I lowered the pressures on our Jimny to the proper pressure for our mud tyres. I got the expected alert which would not then clear when the tyre pressures were restored to normal. It took a long journey of over an hour to settle back down. This is probably due to the sensors only running in "fast mode" for the first 10 minutes of a journey (fast is a reading once every 16 seconds) after this it drops to a quarter of this (reading once every 64 seconds - "active mode"). It is easier to miss a reading that occurs only once per minute.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 04 May 2020 08:22 by mlines.

More
04 May 2020 12:33 #221874 by Bob1050

Eacg14 wrote: Ignition to "ON", press in and hold the button/dial thing on the bottom right of the cluster until the menu pops up. Then you can scroll through the menu and find TPMS reset.

Right, Bob?

Correct - that's precisely what I have and do. And there was me thinking that this technology existed to make life easier for us all. At least Bill now seems to have a solution and hopefully his blood pressure has lowered.

Sometimes I think - What was wrong with just manually checking your tyre pressures every few weeks?

More
04 May 2020 12:51 #221875 by Scimike
Are Suzuki deliberately making a simple task difficult or are all TPMS equipped vehicles this involved?
I have never owned a vehicle with TPMS and your are not selling it to me as a feature I would want.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
04 May 2020 15:18 #221882 by DAGZOOK
What a total Farce, I'm dreading the day that I fit some new rubber. First one to engineer a TPMS removal/Cancelling kit gets a case of beers delivered free of charge. :woohoo: :silly: :whistle:

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2020 15:45 #221884 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:Re:Re:Wheel/tyre rotation and TPMS (Gen4)
"I have never owned a vehicle with TPMS and you're not selling it to me as a feature I would want."
You couldn't be more wrong Mike, TPMS is a valuable training aid for new drivers teaching them that regular tyre inspection is totally unnecessary. After all, whoever heard of a tyre related road accident. Car manufacturers have thoughtfully removed all these concerns by providing a truly foolproof solution.
Chris.

• Paulei
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2020 17:10 #221886 by Paulei
Replied by Paulei on topic Wheel/tyre rotation and TPMS (Gen4)

GeorgeC wrote:

Eacg14 wrote: Ignition to "ON", press in and hold the button/dial thing on the bottom right of the cluster until the menu pops up.
Then you can scroll through the menu and find TPMS reset.
Right, Bob?

See Pages 3-69,70,71 in the PDF Manual.

There is a scanable PDF here: www.facebook.com/groups/2184373498316066/files/

I try to look but an access is requested, while I do not have a Facebook account, can You let help me to get the file?

More
04 May 2020 20:20 #221892 by mlines
By coincidence, whilst reading an Icelandic Jimny build on Facebook. I saw this link they published. A TPMS removal system for a Jimny!

spooftpms.com/?fdx_switcher=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
04 May 2020 22:37 #221899 by Bob1050

Scimike wrote: Are Suzuki deliberately making a simple task difficult or are all TPMS equipped vehicles this involved?
I have never owned a vehicle with TPMS and your are not selling it to me as a feature I would want.

I have had a couple of cars fitted with TPMS and as an electronics design colleague described it to me "It's another piece of technology looking for a home"! The marketing guru's have bought into it as another 'chargeable technology feature' to impose on customers. It delivers negligible benefits to owners and increases the opportunities for further profits in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds