BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wheel/tyre rotation and TPMS (Gen4)

More
01 May 2020 13:37 #221738 by Bill Portland
I just spent an interesting but ultimately unsuccessful couple of hours this morning attempting to rotate the wheels/tyres on my car to even out tyre wear. I was not too hopeful as the manual is quite clear that the spare wheel doesn't have the TPMS sensor but I have heard from others that their spares did in fact have sensors and that moving all or any of the wheels around the car was no problem to do.
So, I got the spare off 1st and as it was off checked the mountings for any sign of wear or rust. Nothing to report (and no rubber washers that I could see).
I put the spare on the rear left and left it at the very high pressure it was at so I could see if I was getting a reading from the TPMS. I went for a short drive and, as suspected, the other 3 tyres were all reading normal pressure but no reading at all from the "spare" (now on the rear left). OK, so that confirms there's no sensor on the spare. So then I thought I'd just do a 4-wheel rotation instead of the 5-wheel that I'd hoped to do.

I then put the wheel that had come off the rear left on the front left. Off for another drive to check the TPMS readings. This is where it got confusing. Now, the rear left (was the spare, with no sensor, that wasn't giving a reading) was now displaying a high (accurate) pressure! How could that be? The other confusing thing was the front left (was the rear left) was not giving a reading at all!

So the original spare (with no sensor) was reading accurately but the front left (was the rear left, with a sensor) wasn't reading at all.

At that point I gave up and put all the wheels back in their original positions.

It really does seem that I should take the manual's advice and have the dealer do a 5 wheel rotation and reprogram of the sensors. Trouble is, neither of the 2 dealers I contacted to do this during a recent service were interested and wouldn't even give me a price.

The tyre wear is actually quite even, just the front left outside wearing a tad more than all the others but I would really like to spread the wear over all 5 tyres so that, when it comes to change, I can change to bigger, chunkier treaded tyres all round and not throw a perfectly good, unused tyre away. I'm tight like that.

I took the opportunity whilst underneath to check for rust but there's nothing obvious showing yet, and I'm quite impressed with the area and depth of under-body coating applied at the factory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2020 14:16 - 01 May 2020 14:17 #221739 by mlines
The TPMS Controller (NOT THE SENSORS) is limited to 4 tyre IDs only, so whether or not the spare has a sensor built in does not matter. The Controller can only deal with 4 IDs. In fact, without reseting the controller and re-programming you will not know if the spare has a sensor

The controller has a learning sequence to learn the IDs of the tyres fitted.

You have to put the Controller in learning mode with the car stationary, this is a sequence of opening the drivers door and turning on the ignition and then pressing the door switch in a coded sequence (I do know the sequence but will not print it here as using it erases the current four codes from the sensor).(Oooh, I wonder if erasing the codes gets rid of any low pressure warnings???)

With the controller erased and in learning mode, you use a TPMS Trigger tool to activate the sensors in sequence (left-front > left rear > right rear >right front). This teaches the controller the IDs of the sensors and the tyre positions.

Suzuki recommend the ATEQ VT30, VT55 or VT56 trigger tools. I do not know if the cheap ebay ones will do.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 01 May 2020 14:17 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
01 May 2020 15:20 #221741 by mlines
These are the sensors by the way

padangu-daviklis.lt/en/tpms-fiat-opel-su...1m00-s180052024-4065

Continental s180052024

If you can find an ebay TPMS reset tool that will trigger these........

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
01 May 2020 15:32 #221742 by DAGZOOK
Bill,

I'm in the same boat, I wrote a post similar to this a few months back. My view is, if you want to rotate the tyres diligently, get yourself a TPMS Emulator. I think these modern TPMS sensors are a great idea for a mum doing the school run - but for any conscientious car owner they're a pain in the back side. I'll be looking to get one of these once I've upgraded the tyres, for the time being I'm not really too fussed about the spare being un-used. I'm just rotating the 4 in use :whistle:

spooftpms.com

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny.../64422-tpms-emulator

More
01 May 2020 15:36 #221743 by Soeley

mlines wrote: The TPMS Controller (NOT THE SENSORS) is limited to 4 tyre IDs only, so whether or not the spare has a sensor built in does not matter. The Controller can only deal with 4 IDs. In fact, without reseting the controller and re-programming you will not know if the spare has a sensor

You have to put the Controller in learning mode with the car stationary, this is a sequence of opening the drivers door and turning on the ignition and then pressing the door switch in a coded sequence (I do know the sequence but will not print it here as using it erases the current four codes from the sensor).(Oooh, I wonder if erasing the codes gets rid of any low pressure warnings???)

With the controller erased and in learning mode, you use a TPMS Trigger tool to activate the sensors in sequence (left-front > left rear > right rear >right front). This teaches the controller the IDs of the sensors and the tyre positions.

Suzuki recommend the ATEQ VT30, VT55 or VT56 trigger tools. I do not know if the cheap ebay ones will do.

Martin, If I have just understood that correctly does that mean if fitting different wheels and tyres and you want to use the original sensors, then you will have to make sure each one goes back in its original location?
Or
If you bought four replacement sensors you would need a trip to the dealer to get those programmed?

More
01 May 2020 15:44 - 01 May 2020 15:59 #221744 by mlines
In essence, yes.

However reading the comments on the £12 reset tools on Ebay, there is a concensus in some of the conversations that they may wake up most sensors. So you could possibly walk around in the sequence in programming mode and re-allocate the sensors

Martin

Last edit: 01 May 2020 15:59 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, Soeley

More
01 May 2020 19:05 #221751 by Bill Portland

mlines wrote: The TPMS Controller (NOT THE SENSORS) is limited to 4 tyre IDs only, so whether or not the spare has a sensor built in does not matter. The Controller can only deal with 4 IDs. In fact, without reseting the controller and re-programming you will not know if the spare has a sensor

Thanks Martin, I should've asked before attempting the rotation. Not that I understand most of what you said! Would a 5th ID on the back of the car make any difference? Wouldn't it be out of range?

More
01 May 2020 20:04 #221755 by mlines
I think it's a limitation of the controller, the workshop manual seems to strongly emphasise the fact it only supports 4 tyres.

The tyre sensors transmit a fair way, I have seen discussions around security services being able to track vehicles with road side receivers although as they only transmit every 10 minutes or so it's a bit random as to whether the car is near a receiver

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

• Paulei
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2020 22:44 - 01 May 2020 22:46 #221767 by Paulei
Replied by Paulei on topic Re:Wheel/tyre rotation and TPMS (Gen4)
As far as I know about TPMS system, you do not need a special tool to trigger a sensor.
You only have to make the sensor “work”. (This is what the trigger tool do)
So you only need to make the tyre flat (may be after a 10 minutes drive so you are shure that the sensors are not in sleep mode) and at a certain point the sensor will be activate so if you are in learning mode, the system will detect the sensor. The real problem is how to put the car in learning mode with this sequence described by Martin, some post earlier.
Last edit: 01 May 2020 22:46 by Paulei.

More
02 May 2020 08:59 - 02 May 2020 09:00 #221781 by Bill Portland
What's puzzling me is how, if the spare has no sensor, did I get an accurate reading from it when on the rear left position? I know it was that tyre that the reading was coming from because it had a 32psi pressure reading and the other tyres all have 27psi.

Id have thought that TPMS is mature enough technology to be fit and forget/ plug and play. Any wheel in any position and it should be able to sort itself out.
Last edit: 02 May 2020 09:00 by Bill Portland.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 May 2020 09:17 #221782 by Lambert
You're forgetting that modern cars are not designed for the owner to maintain but instead to generate work for the service department.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 May 2020 09:34 #221784 by mlines
TPMS does have the ability to work out which wheel is which, the sensors send angular momentum figures that enable a single receiver to work out where they are.

I was just reporting what the Service Manual says, not necessarily the actual way it works. As it is a bought in system from Continental Tyres, you can probably bet that if you look at the manufacturers specification for the system. Indeed, if you use the manufacturers (Continental) tool (VDO TPMS Go) you may well find it enables further functions.

www.vdo.com/passenger-cars/vehicle-diagn...devices/vdo-tpms-go/

Martin

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds