BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof cargo platform for Jimny.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2020 18:40 #221436 by latenigh
Replied by latenigh on topic Roof cargo platform for Jimny.
No, I'm removing the original roof rails.

And replacing them with my platform.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2020 18:00 #228112 by latenigh
Welded four feets to fit the Jimny factory rail installation bolts.
It fits!

Then I had it powder coated matte black with some structure in it.

No I am putting it all together.

Attachments:

More
13 Sep 2020 11:20 #228137 by Roger Fairclough
Whatever you do to the rack to reinforce it you still have the fundamental problem that the roof is only rated to have 30kg load on it and the gutters/roof panel are designed for that loading.
So why not tow a trailer? It will be more than adequate for what you need to carry and without it your Jimny reverts back to a daily driver. I understand your desire to help others in distress and I agree with other comments that your pump could be fitted under the bonnet with the hoses etc in the boot.

Roger

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2020 14:08 #228139 by latenigh
I believe that the weight limitations of 30kg is because of the fact that the part of the original roof rail that bolts to the roof is made out of plastic.
If that part would have been made of metal instead, I believe that we would have seen higher weight limitations.

More
14 Sep 2020 07:31 #228171 by Roger Fairclough
The weight limit on a roof is more to do with stability than the roof itself. It's a sort of juggling act with the balls being stability and roof strength. The more you put up there the stronger the roof needs to be but strength means weight and that means less weight that you can put up there.
And so it goes on.

Roger

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2020 07:52 #228172 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Roof cargo platform for Jimny.
Nicely made bit of kit though. Chris

More
14 Sep 2020 08:30 #228176 by zukebob
The work you have done on your rack is impressive and this honestly isn't meant as a criticism. My reply is rather to make a few points for context:

It has been well documented in discussions on this forum that 30kg is the rooftop limit per Suzuki, regardless of attachment.
Roger's comments on stability are unquestionably the reason.
Although nothing has been shown for any analysis, Suzuki would not site a limit without having done one. It's not an arbitrary number.

When it comes to roof load discussions, people become very passionate about making their point. As they usually become an unending back-and-forth, I avoid the discussion. In truth I have a simple philosophy. If you put 1kg on the roof, it is worse than having nothing. Would I worry if I put 1kg on my roof? No. 2kg is worse than 1 kg. Would I worry? No. 3kg is worse than 2kg, 4kg is worse than 3kg, 5 is worse than 4, and so on.

At the same time. I would agree that it isn't factual to say that if you have 30kg on the roof you can drive safely but if you put 31kg you will be in danger. It just doesn't work that way. A 30kg limit is a line in the sand for guidance, but it is one that should be considered.

The car is yours and the rack is yours and you can do what you want. I only recommend to keep the context in mind. Suzuki gave 30kg for a reason. Use judgement and common sense as you go.

Still say it is a nice job

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
14 Sep 2020 09:11 #228180 by Roger Fairclough
It has been pointed out to me in the past that I can be a pedantic old fart and I fully agree with those sentiments. I fully agree with the comments that the rack and the fittings are well made and ingeniously put together. I agree with zukebob that the 30 kg limit imposed by Suzuki will have engineering thought behind it but also safety health and welfare will have had a say in it because they will be thinking about the trials that the USA imposed on the SJ regarding it's stability.
You have made it and it fits and it is now up to you to evaluate it and decide if it fits the purpose for which you made it.

Roger

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2021 08:28 - 17 Mar 2021 21:11 #233799 by latenigh
Breaking the law, breaking the law.

Breaking the law, breaking the law.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2021 21:11 by latenigh.

More
17 Mar 2021 16:27 #233814 by Reason2doubt

latenigh wrote: Breaking the law, breaking the law.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Cannot see the images?

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2021 21:13 #233827 by latenigh
I do not know what went wrong. I hope you can see them now.

More
18 Mar 2021 09:50 #233834 by Roger Fairclough
No.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds