BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 rear disk conversion

• warrengti
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2020 06:50 #221022 by warrengti
GEN 4 rear disk conversion was created by warrengti
Hi all

I did search for this but didn’t find anything relating to the JB74

Anyway has anyone done a rear disk conversion on their new Jimny ? are there any kits available

I have only seen 2 on You tube old mate with the white turbo and some guys from Taiwan have video of them installing a kit. I have emailed them but haven’t got a reply yet also it was in English so may not have made it over the language barrier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2020 11:12 #221033 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
Did Suzuki raid the GEN3 ABS parts bin for the rear braking system or is it all new?
I am wondering if a kit from a G3 will fit, as I've not seen anything GEN4 specific at this time.
You could phone JimnyBits and see what they say.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Apr 2020 05:03 #221052 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
I don't know of anyone that's attempted a JB74 disk conversion yet - I've see the odd video on YouTube of an asian garage carrying out a conversion.

I'm don't understand why anyone would want to run a conversion at this early stage of ownership. The new. gen.4 goes and stops on a dime. Ease of maintenance and cost of parts is irrelevant for most, at least for the first two years whilst the car being serviced by their local dealer. It's certainly something to look out for later on down the line - that's if we're not all bankrupted by the C word. :blink:

More
14 Apr 2020 14:46 #221065 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
Watching a video all the parts looks exactly the same as the Gen3. I'd be very surprised if they had changed it yet kept it so similar.

More
14 Apr 2020 17:54 #221073 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• warrengti
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2020 23:19 #221084 by warrengti
Replied by warrengti on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
Thanks everyone

I did try and post this video in the post but anyway this is what I was referring to.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer and they tell me Pedders are their service agent here in Australia.

So I should be able to get a price to bad the AUD is down the toilet at the moment.

The reason for wanting to convert to a disk rear is that in the future I would like to add some extra KWs

• B3Hulk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2020 00:31 #221116 by B3Hulk
Replied by B3Hulk on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
I contacted them via their email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

They directed me to Pedders suspension and brakes and the part list cost $1,540 AUD plus GST that is without labour.

More
17 Apr 2020 11:07 #221158 by Roger Fairclough
The removal of a bearing on a shaft by applying force to the outer race is not a good idea as the balls can indent the raceways. Also as the half shaft is only secured by a single ball race which by it's design has an amount of clearance in the axial mode, then the movement on the shaft when the car corners will force the caliper piston/pistons to be pushed back and this will need extra movement on the brake pedal to take up the slack.
Some years ago a friend with an SJ413 fitted a disc brake conversion and found that the brake pedal could travel halfway before the brakes operated, a situation he found alarming to say the least!

Roger

• warrengti
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2020 00:16 #221181 by warrengti
Replied by warrengti on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion
Thanks for the input everyone

A halfway dead break pedal sounds scary

I also spoke with Peders and the sorry was use at your own risk as they are not ADR approved nor are any plans to do so.

So this would mean a trip to the engineers to get a crtificate of complicane for the modification not a hard thing to do but an extra added cost.

More
18 Apr 2020 21:40 #221236 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic GEN 4 rear disk conversion

Roger Fairclough wrote: The removal of a bearing on a shaft by applying force to the outer race is not a good idea as the balls can indent the raceways. Also as the half shaft is only secured by a single ball race which by it's design has an amount of clearance in the axial mode, then the movement on the shaft when the car corners will force the caliper piston/pistons to be pushed back and this will need extra movement on the brake pedal to take up the slack.
Some years ago a friend with an SJ413 fitted a disc brake conversion and found that the brake pedal could travel halfway before the brakes operated, a situation he found alarming to say the least!

Roger

As an aside.....don't let your mate touch brakes....pedal should be perfect.....one of the reasons to get away from drums, along with the ease of changing rear wheel bearings.

Will the rear axle not be the same as the previous Jimny?.....surely it will.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds