BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New wheels & tyres needed help please

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2020 08:18 #221260 by MrPunch
Replied by MrPunch on topic New wheels & tyres needed help please
Can I add the example picture I sent Is exactly that an example we could never afford such luxury......it would need to be that sort of look on a Budget thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2020 07:38 #221336 by Brucester
Same sort of scenario MrPunch. Her 15"steels have had so much Hammerite over the years from the previous owners and as she needs new tyres i thought go to 16" steels / alloys from the standard 15". I also like the chunky tyres for all the wrong reasons as we don't go off-road anyway, but the problem is trying to find a wheel & tyre plus chunky tread combination.

For MrPunch and also for jackonlyjack to confirm if you can;

The rims I am hopefully getting are DOTZ Dakar 7.00x16 5x139.70 ET0.00 from www.oponeo.co.uk

With either 205/65/16 or preferably 225/60/16 tyres., (subject to chunkiness). I will search later for the BF Goodridge All Terrain TA you posted, also one of my neighbours has Malatesta Kobra Trac NT but they are on 15" steels.

The 205/65/16 give 9.78mph reading at 30mph and 59.56mph at 60mph with a ride height gain / arch gap loss of 2.45mm.

The preferred 225/60/16 tyres give 29.63mph reading at 30mph and 59.25mph at 60mph.

The above worked out on site called www.willtheyfit.com

All of which is to say my knowledge is based purely on the help of jackonlyjack, (that's not to say blame him if anything goes wrong, simply that i learned from him), and before i buy anything i'sll still confirm on here and again with the steel / alloy suppliers and then the tyre suppliers.

Hope that helps. Oh and welcome to the club.

More
21 Apr 2020 12:58 #221350 by Brucester
I've now found 16″ x 7″ Tuff Torque 8 Spoke Steel Black ET0 on 4x4tyres.co.uk They do wheel & tyre packages, however, rather than going for a chunky look, i have opted to go for Cooper tyres from Formula 1 as they're made in the UK and they come with accidental damage warranty, including punctures repaired foc or a new tyre if it can't be repaired, subject to a percentage for tread wear etc.

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 11:57 #221369 by MrPunch
Hi Brucester,

How are you getting on with this? I am in the exact boat probably way behind the knowledge you have gained here.

Please can you help me a bit I bought the wife a 59plate JLS Plus and she would like some chunkier tyres but she doesn’t want them to be wider than the body too much. Mentioned getting the alloys that are poor re-coated and buy tyres or is the way forward by a full set not sure how to put pictures on here to give an example of the type of effect she would like .

This is what’s on currently:
Front

Back

This what Tyres I have purchased:

I’ll post a pic when I get it back.]
Attachments:

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 12:12 #221370 by MrPunch
Hi Brucester,

Struggling a little bit to understand how to post on the site I’m not very good at this….Anyway what I wanted to say was:

I have made a decision to have the original Alloys Powder coated I have also Bought 4new Insta Turbos as per the picture.

It gets away from will they fit lifting it lowering it and I suppose will get the look my good lady wants.

Another thing as for going off-road no chance the closest will be when it rains & then that’s a huge decision to drive for her…..The mpg & wear also not an issue doesn’t do more than a 1000miles a year.

Now I’m Struggling to find a new set of Plastic Centre Caps strange size they just pull off though I want a new set to go with the newly painted wheels…

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 12:15 #221371 by MrPunch
Fronts are being Painted as they cant go in the acid bath so that’s fine its the rears that are causing me an issue now....I’m going to ask elsewhere on here Good luck with your Project

More
22 Apr 2020 12:42 #221373 by jackonlyjack

MrPunch wrote: Fronts are being Painted as they cant go in the acid bath so that’s fine its the rears that are causing me an issue now....I’m going to ask elsewhere on here Good luck with your Project

Can't you just paint your originals Buzzweld do a plastic in one paint (PIO)

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 13:00 #221375 by MrPunch
HI jackonlyjack,

One of them has a slice right along it and they are sort of perished dont think they would spray up very well they are like a soft plastic not quite rubber part.

Sorry Jack what does PIO mean ?

More
22 Apr 2020 13:06 #221376 by jackonlyjack
PIO is what buzzweld use as an abbreviation for plastic in one
send this guy a PM he may have some spare
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/profile/1482-j999pre
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPunch

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 13:10 #221377 by MrPunch
Thanks Jack I appreciate your help

• MrPunch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2020 16:35 #221428 by MrPunch
Well I must say I Think it looks stunning what a difference:

Attachments:

More
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds