BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help needed (Gen 4) - Rear diff oil seaping out of nut?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2020 11:50 #220847 by Andy2640
Hi everyone! Hope you are well.

Few days ago i fitted a rear diff guard from jimnybits. All went well, except for when i took a nut out. Its the one on the right.

When it came out, a little bit of diff oil trickled out, and i thought that was just where a little bit of oil had been trapped behind the nut.

Went to look again today, and i could feel where a bit more had trickled out. No pools of it on driveway, so i assmume its no problem.

So can i ask, is the nut i taken off somehow daming up the diff oil? Whats behind the nut? And if the seal is broken will i be in danger of slooooowly loosing my oil??

Help massively appreciated chaps. Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Apr 2020 12:41 #220852 by Lambert
When I did mine on Dreadnaught I had to completely remove the two bolts and in so doing dropped my diff oil onto the floor or rather I would have if I hadn't wound it back in and got a container. I used it as an excuse to change the oil. When I re tightened the bolts I did them FT and they have remained dry.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Apr 2020 13:30 - 09 Apr 2020 13:33 #220857 by X8GGY
Here's a photo of an (Gen 3) axle casing without the differential in...

When you take the two bottom bolts out of the diff those holes are opened up and the oil leaks out...

Ideally - when fitting the guards - you need to drop the oil out and replace it after fitting the guard... and the bolts need some mastic on them to ensure a good seal (before the new oil is added)...

HTH

Is there no mention of this in the instructions? Can't see anything on the item listing...?

Dave
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 13:33 by X8GGY.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2020 14:06 #220858 by Andy2640
Oh i see. Not been too impressed with jimnybits guard kits really. Big lack of instructions, non in the diff kits, and somewhat vague on the other guards. Guards are ace though.

Yes, when i took the nuts put, they had a white gummy film on them, so what is this stuff called again? Might have to get some and re-fit the nuts i think. Crumbs!! Hope i aint run my diff dry!!

Hearbeat increASING!

More
09 Apr 2020 14:32 #220861 by Busta
Diff guards are quite unnecessary on a Jimny. The bolts are put in from the factory with a dollop of sealant on the threads. Normally when you take them out you can see it on the tip of the bolt, like a smurf's hat.

More
09 Apr 2020 18:31 #220865 by DAGZOOK
Hey Andy - as others have said, that flange of bolts retains a cover plate which is removable. Usually fastened in place with a paper gasket or hylomar sealant of sorts between both mating faces (in the old days they used cork gaskets). Nip them back up tight, the leak shouldn't persist. As others have mentioned it's probably worth doing a job like that in future at the same time as an oil service.

I can't quite make it out from the photos, but what gauge steel is used for that diff guard? only reason I ask is that if its 3mm+ I'd be a little concerned about the grip length of those original fasteners. (I don't know how long they were to begin with) There's potential risk of stripping the threads in the diff if that's the case. Out of interest, do Jimny bits supply longer bolts?

Judging by X8GGY's photo (presumably a gen.3 diff), looks like you've only got about 5mm of threaded casing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2020 20:41 - 09 Apr 2020 20:42 #220869 by Andy2640
Thanks for your advice, and thanks for putting my mind at rest somewhat

When i removed the 2 bolts, the left side one didnt cause any leakage which was odd. And the 2nd one on the right didnt cause too much oil to come out, just a very sloooow trickle. The bolts were quite large in length, and a good amount was reinserted, even with the 5mm thick guard.

I concur with what you said about the oil stopping after it leaked a little, i have since placed some kitchen roll in the diff pan, and after a day no more oil has come out. I have now slapped a load of thick gloopy oil around the bolts too. Gonna keep sn eye on it though.

Perhaps time jimnybits added some instructions to their guards.

Thanks everyone, tomorrow im fitting the ARB breathers and fitting soeleys hand made step down pipe components.

Bring on the puddles!

P.s... No mate, no longer bolts were supplied unfortunatly.

P.s ..
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 20:42 by Andy2640.

More
10 Apr 2020 07:55 #220885 by DAGZOOK
Glad you got it sorted Andy, WD40 is an awesome degreaser. Clear the diff up with that and keep an eye out for future leaks.

Nice work on the breathers too! :cheer:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Apr 2020 18:34 - 10 Apr 2020 18:35 #220906 by Riccy

Busta wrote: Diff guards are quite unnecessary on a Jimny. The bolts are put in from the factory with a dollop of sealant on the threads. Normally when you take them out you can see it on the tip of the bolt, like a smurf's hat.

This and Andy's oil leak problem were the reason I binned these style of guard off. I found that when they are bashed on a rock (as intended for) they would cause the bolts that Andy has leaking to leak worse. They were otherwise very solid, but the price you pay for it is leaking from those bolts after any impacts. Fine if you know about it, but the standard diff housing is a solid thing anyway and doesnt really need the extra "guard", or weight. Money would be better spent on weld-on bracing of the factory welded joints either side of the diff housing, the weaker point by design ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 18:35 by Riccy. Reason: english

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Apr 2020 19:23 #220909 by Lambert
My take on the diff guards is not really protecting from impact so much as acting as skids to eliminate the lips on the diff case as a mitigation of the standard teeny tiny tyre size.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds