BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help needed - Jimnybits radius arm guards??

More
03 Apr 2020 19:40 #220653 by Busta
Putting it in 4wd, in gear (park if it's an auto) with the handbrake on is a good way to ensure the wheels won't move about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2020 20:02 #220655 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Help needed - Jimnybits radius arm guards??
Right... hold the press! Ive been successful .. LOL!

Ok, tips, tricks and sillyness ahead.

So yes the first two rear guards were a doddle.

So what i did was first make sure all wheels were chocked and secure. On the rear i unscrewed the nut and gave the bolt a wiggle in and out, just to see if there was any tension. At this point i was trying to avoid movement of the radious arms and the un alighning of the bolt holes. This was a nooby fear, and i had an image in my head of an imobile jimny sat on the drive for months.

Anyways the rears popped out nicely and remained rock steady, no movement which was welcomed progress.

Using thick sticky grease i placed the 8mm washers in place and they stayed put nicely. It was then just a case of sliding the new bolts through, with some anti lock grease (Thanks smhimik).

Nuts then tightened to 54 Ibs with torque wrench.

As for the fronts, this was a bugger and steep learning curve. So earlier i posted asking about a very imovable bolt, it really was tight. Anyways i finally plucked up the courage to pull it out.....and.....BAM! The arm moved forwards towards the front of the car around half inch. And so realising i didnt have a ratchet strap (Dohhh) I reached for a tow strap. I wangled it around my axle nearest the wheel.and gave it a good pull. It was just enough for me to get the old bolt back in. Yepp i panicked.

After a cuppa i had a think, and scrayched my noggin. I then realised i could manipulate the wheels before i pulled the bolts out. So i wacked a chock under the wheel in the same direction as i was pulling with the tow strap, this allowed the bolt to move freely, and hence i knew i could safelynpull it out with no movement. It worked perfectly! Now id got the hang of it and could easily do it all again in super quick time. My lesson was a rapid learning curve.

Final arm guard was easy peesy, and again i manipulated the wheel, allowing the bolt to come out easyily and gently.

Any questions, ask away.

And thanks for your initial help, you got me started off beautifully in the right direction!

Thanks again!!

More
03 Apr 2020 21:07 #220664 by Scimike
Well done Andy.
Good tip on manipulating the wheel until you get the correct "feel" on the bolt before removal.
Hope to fit mine at some point over the next few days.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
03 Apr 2020 21:09 #220665 by Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Apr 2020 05:09 #220668 by Lambert
Good man. We told you it was easy and it was. What would you do without us?! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds