BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Jimny off road capability - a critique

More
30 Mar 2020 21:18 #220484 by Busta
Throttle control is fine. I'm talking specifically about the gear ratios.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2020 04:46 #220488 by Lambert
Up in the Yorkshire Dales we have some quite interesting rock lanes, the sort of thing that can give the inexperienced an opportunity to have a little lie down. And yet even on such lanes I just don't recognize the lurching about way too fast you are describing as the car climbs onto some of these bigger obstacles. Maybe it's just my driving style that is different.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Mar 2020 06:41 #220489 by saxj
The jimny holds it's own against the other brands, despite it's high gearing. I recently did a trip to Baboon's pass in Lesotho. A high altitude pass that is not maintained, and has a reputation for being one of the worst roads in Africa. The route is 23km long, and we did it in a lightning fast 11 hours. My Gen 4 on 235's, an SJ on Toyota axles and 33's and a Rubicon on 35's were the only vehicles that did not get stuck on the trip. We spent a lot of time jacking and packing rocks to get the other vehicles through. The other vehicles were a Jeep TJ on 35's (only stuck once), Toyota Fortuner, Hummer H3 and a Nissan Terrano, All were very experienced drivers. The worst was the Hummer, it is just too damned big. Another group turned back after 1.5km - they didn't realise how bad the terrain really was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
31 Mar 2020 07:12 #220490 by Busta

Lambert wrote: Up in the Yorkshire Dales we have some quite interesting rock lanes, the sort of thing that can give the inexperienced an opportunity to have a little lie down. And yet even on such lanes I just don't recognize the lurching about way too fast you are describing as the car climbs onto some of these bigger obstacles. Maybe it's just my driving style that is different.

That's because you're slipping the clutch, the technique we are all forced to use to prevent stalling on technical terrain. It's far from ideal. If you're not slipping the clutch and not stalling regularly then sorry but you're not talking about the same type of terrain the rest of us are.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2020 10:07 #220498 by Lambert
Defender low crawl ratio 40 to one on 32 inch tyres. Jimny low crawl ratio 38 to one on 26 inch tyres far from high geared. As to slipping the clutch and stalling I would suggest there could be something wrong with your car if you can't let it creep about at less than a thousand rpm.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Mar 2020 11:43 #220501 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: Defender low crawl ratio 40 to one on 32 inch tyres. Jimny low crawl ratio 38 to one on 26 inch tyres far from high geared. As to slipping the clutch and stalling I would suggest there could be something wrong with your car if you can't let it creep about at less than a thousand rpm.

The engine also plays a part too I believe.

I'm not bashing on the Jimny.... I own one after all :)

As for something being wrong with mine. It is possible, but considering it is brand new, probably unlikely unless Suzuki have no QC at all. Which wouldn't tally with their reputation.

I don't really have much footage of the Jimny off road yet. This was its first outing.

My brother did stall it twice in the video. But overall I was impressed. It's a new toy after all. :cheer: However, the thing to note is the ground is soft and wet. Allowing fairly easy wheel slip and a softer landing when a raised wheel comes back in contact with the ground.

Having driven the same terrain now dry, the ground is so much harder. And you do notice it is lifting wheels a lot more, which makes me want to slow down. But it just doesn't do it as well as my diesel (or the V8) Land Rover's I've driven/owned.

My Tdi Land Rover will even let you dab the footbrake and slow it down while in low 1st on tickover. Never had to slip the clutch either to slow it down.

When the weather picks up and we are allowed out more. I'll do some more testing/playing. I'll try a slow race and see how well the Jimny copes on a tickover crawl over the terrain.

This was the other day, note the big crash down at 22 sec.... after lifting a wheel. It wouldn't go any slower unless I dipped the clutch. No stalling on this vid. But I have stalled it previously trying to slow it down when it has a wheel in the air. Or when the TCS activates and you don't give it enough throttle input.

More
31 Mar 2020 12:01 - 31 Mar 2020 12:48 #220504 by Busta
Lambert, Crawling at 2mph at less than 1000rpm is absolutely fine until you have a 10" high step to climb. I think this is the bit you're missing.
Your figures comparing the Jimny and Landover do not correlate with my real world experience, and the Landover engine is making about 3x more power at idle, and it has an antistall feature. Honestly, it's chalk and cheese.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2020 12:48 by Busta.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds