BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Jimny off road capability - a critique

More
29 Mar 2020 15:27 - 29 Mar 2020 15:29 #220429 by 300bhpton
So I haven't yet done lots of off roading in my JB74. But I've used it a bit and thought I'd offer up some opinions.

Apart from some diff guards, my Jimny is 100% bone stock. I have also only driven it on one type of off road terrain. The terrain is semi-technical with a fair number of axle twisters and areas to test approach/departure angles.

Basis for comparison:

I have been driving off road in one form or another since the age of about 11. Mostly in Land Rover's, although a few Jeeps and other vehicles thrown in the mix also. I grew up on a farm and learnt to drive in a Land Rover in a field. But for over 20 years I have also competed in off road trials competitions.

As a direct comparison today I was comparing to my 88 Land Rover, as it has the same wheelbase as the Jimny, open diffs, no TCS. It has a wider track and slightly modified suspension. But nothing overly radical.

Good points:

For a bone stock vehicle there is no denying the Jimny can cover the terrain. To call it a mountain goat is probably pretty fair. It doesn't get stopped, not even on road biased tyres. And overall feels moderately good in stability and control. And also is very nimble and manoeuvrable with fairly good steering lock.

The TCS massively enhances its capability.

Bad points:

It doesn't go slow enough in low 1st for technical off roading. It is also very easy to stall with the 5-speed manual. This happens when trying to go at tickover speeds. And when using the TCS. While the TCS is hugely impressive, it does require you to use some throttle, which can make you lurch over obstacles and crash down fairly hard when you have a wheel high in the air. For me the vehicle just wants to go a little too quickly for the terrain I'm on, which makes it harder work and less relaxing.

Part of the issue is the reliance on the TCS system. The JB74, despite being a live axle 4x4, still seems to want to lift a wheel quite frequently. Having watched lots of videos on YouTube of the new Jimny, you can clearly see this. The stock suspension setup just lacks the flex for this kind of off roading. However the all of the aftermarket suspension kits I've seen on YouTube seem to transform this capability. So I'm looking forward to upgrading mine.

I also found the front approach angle to be somewhat of an issue and have thus far scraped/impacted the front bumper into the ground. As well as the super silly ultra low front recovery point.

Last edit: 29 Mar 2020 15:29 by 300bhpton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2020 15:37 #220430 by DAGZOOK
BHP I'd love to see someone go all out and install a fully functioning 60mm+ Jimny lift kit (As the YouTube video you shared demonstrated). toughdogdealer.com.au/collections/suzuki-jimny-2019. I've got family in AUS all too tempting :silly:

More
29 Mar 2020 15:43 #220431 by sniper
I only drove the 19' model car for a short time off road in the Lakes in that small time, I found that you need to surrender to the electronics.

Just like any new 4x4 the gizmo's will get you there, it won't look skilful, it won't be full of grace and elegance but mostly it will get you there. Gizmo's work and make the car appear to stutter and jerk, but that's how they work. Surrender all but directional control and the car will do it..

A complete novice driver took it over Gatescarth and Parkamoor with no problem...

sniper
Attachments:

• Jasongds
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2020 19:57 #220445 by Jasongds
Replied by Jasongds on topic Jimny off road capability - a critique
Where a Jimny will run rings around a Land Rover or any bigger 4x4, ( I also have a G Wagon) put them on a wet field try to go up a slope, all the big stuff that weight gets right in the way. Mind you original LJ80 /50 super light, 600kg?

More
29 Mar 2020 21:42 - 29 Mar 2020 21:44 #220448 by crash486
Absolutely agree about hill descent and overall gearing. Too fast downhill and very hard to crawl forward over obstacles.
Doing rock ledges/ steps I've found to be quite challenging to get throttle and momentum just right.
One friend had a very "interesting " event. He was crawling up a 15deg incline, popped up a step with a tiny bit too much throttle and... pivoted the Jimny vertical on the back wheels. It hung there for a few seconds before settling safely down.
A lower gear would have been of benefit as would a longer wheelbase but it is what is.
I am constantly amazed at what this little vehicle can achieve.
It has limits like all vehicles but they are currently way beyond my skill level, for which I am grateful.

crash486
Last edit: 29 Mar 2020 21:44 by crash486.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2020 04:27 #220454 by Lambert
It's sounding like the overall gearing hasn't been changed to accommodate the 195.80 tyre instead relying on the increase in power from the 1.5? My Dreadnaught on her 205.70 tyres is not over geared and will shuffle along in low 1st at tickover quite happily. Compared with the old Cherokee sport or even the grand vitara Dreadnaught is actually very low and really controlled.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Mar 2020 08:02 - 30 Mar 2020 08:02 #220458 by Busta
It's only a 4% difference in tyre size Lambert, so unlikely to cause any significant differences.

One downside of the Jimny has always been the half-way low range. It isn't as low as many 4x4s, essentially only offering one gear lower than 1st high. By comparison, a Defender gains 3 extra gears below 1st high. I believe this is deliberate, to avoid having to beef up the drivetrain for high torque loads. Sticking a bigger reduction gear in the transfer box will fix that and improve crawling and engine braking.

My favourite thing by far about a Jimny is it's size, weight and manoeuvrability. In places where other trucks have to stick rigidly to the path of others, a Jimny can pick lines to the left and right, taking advantage of different routes over or around obstacles that others simply can't.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2020 08:02 by Busta.

More
30 Mar 2020 08:32 #220459 by crash486

Busta wrote: It's only a 4% difference in tyre size Lambert, so unlikely to cause any significant differences.

One downside of the Jimny has always been the half-way low range. It isn't as low as many 4x4s, essentially only offering one gear lower than 1st high. By comparison, a Defender gains 3 extra gears below 1st high. I believe this is deliberate, to avoid having to beef up the drivetrain for high torque loads. Sticking a bigger reduction gear in the transfer box will fix that and improve crawling and engine braking.

My favourite thing by far about a Jimny is it's size, weight and manoeuvrability. In places where other trucks have to stick rigidly to the path of others, a Jimny can pick lines to the left and right, taking advantage of different routes over or around obstacles that others simply can't.

Can understand your comments about torque. Under the Jim today and a little shocked by the tiny size of the rear driveshaft after the TC connection.

crash486

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Mar 2020 09:05 #220461 by Lambert

Busta wrote: It's only a 4% difference in tyre size Lambert, so unlikely to cause any significant differences.

It is I'm sure not much but I have honestly never felt short of crawl speed in either of the manual ones. Obviously they can't do the same creepy creep that the automatic ones can but I would not expect them to. But for manoeuvres of trailers or crawling around sheep quietly or rock climbing on the lanes in the dales I have never felt I was going too quickly to be in full control.

More
30 Mar 2020 10:32 #220464 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote:

It is I'm sure not much but I have honestly never felt short of crawl speed in either of the manual ones. Obviously they can't do the same creepy creep that the automatic ones can but I would not expect them to. But for manoeuvres of trailers or crawling around sheep quietly or rock climbing on the lanes in the dales I have never felt I was going too quickly to be in full control.

I don’t have any off road experience with the 3rd Gen. However I’d struggle to believe the crawl speed is really any different to the 4th Gen.

Laning and moving trailers is in my experience quite a bit faster than some technical off road terrain can be. And I’m not saying the Jimny can’t do it. But I have stalled a few times. Without the TCS you’d have just stopped and been crossed axled. But with it it will get itself through the obstacle. However if you don’t give it enough throttle it can stall itself. Or you end up going too quickly.

More
30 Mar 2020 12:33 #220469 by Busta
Yes I agree. I haven't looked at the ratios but yes I'm fairly sure, as with most aspects of the gen4, that it is essentially the same as the gen3. So at idle in 1st low the car is doing about 2 mph. That's great if you are on easy terrain where you don't need any power. But as soon as you need a few revs to get over an obstacle the car is going 6-7mph and things are happening quite quickly! Or you are slipping the clutch, making it hard to maintain smooth progress. Same goes for engine braking. There is very little until you are doing over 5mph which is too fast for a technical descent. That's my experience with a gen3 anyway,

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Mar 2020 14:45 #220472 by Lambert
Have you tried adjusting your throttle cable so that the pedal is less of an on off switch? It is possible to get some quite good finesse if you do.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds