BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Oil leaking on front tyre king pin????

• Olliecarr25
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2020 18:01 #220033 by Olliecarr25
Oil leaking on front tyre king pin???? was created by Olliecarr25
Hi there just noticed my tyre on the front has oil down it from the axle have a feeling this is a common problem? And just needed to know what it most likely is and is it hard to do this is my tyre after a day of being parked up thanks in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2020 18:23 #220034 by sniper
Only way to approach it is to get all the parts for a full hub rebuild or strip, inspect and get required parts.

Depends on time and money constraints but I would go for all bearings and seals in the hub.

sniper

More
18 Mar 2020 18:28 #220035 by Max Headroom
Same as Sniper says - couple of good vids on YouTube - one by our own Martin Lines HERE

...and a more detailed one that shows potential problems that can be encountered and how to overcome them found HERE

You should be able to do this yourself if you're mechanically minded and assuming you have a good set of tools, a suitable jack, and some axle stands for safety ;)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
18 Mar 2020 20:27 #220040 by Scimike
Yes it's common and is made worse (just my opinion) by rust on the swivel surface killing the seal. Once the seal fails water makes it way to the lower kingpin bearing which rusts, then fails. This causes movement in the hub assembly, which can result in steering wobble, but eventually the inner half shaft oil seal fails and oil from the differential makes it way out. That's the oil you can see on the tyre.
They don't last for ever, but rusty water just accelerates the problem, hence why waterproof grease is recommended.
It's an easy fix, £25 ish for just the bearings and shaft seal, £48 ish for every part including the swivel seal. Can't myself see any point in changing the swivel seal unless you remove the rust and refinish the swivel surface, rust is just going to grind the new seal away rendering it useless for anything smaller than dust.
As said above have a look at the video's (they are very good) and get the bits from Big Jimny Store, they are top quality.
It's quite a satisfying job to do and not difficult, it's a Jimny ownership rite of passage. Have fun.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Olliecarr25
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2020 21:30 #220043 by Olliecarr25
Replied by Olliecarr25 on topic Oil leaking on front tyre king pin????
Would this be all I need to do the job thanks
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2020 22:33 #220046 by Scimike
Yes it does appear to be all you need.
But
Chinese bearings are at best rubbish and OEM parts are designed to last the warranty of the vehicle, not 12 months.
You are only saving £25 over known good parts (OEM Koyo bearings, Suzuki seals) and it's 3 to 5 hours to change both sides.
I appreciate not everyone has the extra £25, but if you do think hard.
That said they could be great.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olliecarr25

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2020 22:36 #220047 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Oil leaking on front tyre king pin????
Think you will need some decent greese too, hopefully someone will confirm this as I have the mechanical knowledge of a wooden spoon.

More
18 Mar 2020 22:38 - 18 Mar 2020 22:40 #220048 by Scimike
Your knowledge is impeccable.
Yes some good waterproof grease, also sold in Big Jimny.
Not connected to the store in any way.
Mike

Last edit: 18 Mar 2020 22:40 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30, Olliecarr25

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Mar 2020 05:13 #220049 by Lambert
The above is all true but I would suggest that a pair of kingpin bearings and inner axle oil seal are all you are likely to need along with some decent waterproof grease. All available for less than 35 quid from the bigjimny store. In order for the swivel to leak like that what has to happen is the drive shaft has to be applying uneven pressure to the inner oil seal allowing axle oil into the cv chamber making a runny mess, this only happens when the kingpin bearings have failed making the whole swivel assembly move outside tolerance. A messy but relatively simple fix.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olliecarr25

More
19 Mar 2020 08:34 #220059 by Max Headroom

Scimike wrote: it's 3 to 5 hours to change both sides.

...Unless like me - I couldnt get the left assembly back on as the bottom bearing kept dropping out! Could be easier with someone helping you do the job.

More
23 Mar 2020 00:25 #220173 by Me and my Jimny
Looked like mine did, but yours looks more oil like, I think mine had an unhealthy amount of harbour hill pond water mixed into the diff too.

I spoke to Martin and bought the bearings, seal and grease. Changed today, it took me longer than 5 hours but some of that was getting a socket the right size to push the old bearing out.

I've never even done brake pads before but following martins video and one by 'mech it better' I actually quite enjoyed it. If I can do it anyone can, although I won't know if I did it right until I can get new tyres and mot though.

Good luck

More
23 Mar 2020 19:06 - 23 Mar 2020 19:07 #220199 by Max Headroom
Excellent !

I'm sure you did a first class job.
If its something you've never done before, just think it through and do the job slowly, checking and re-checking your own work as you go.
Et voila!

Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 19:07 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds