BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tranfer box

More
29 Feb 2020 19:21 #219224 by 1390_taz
Tranfer box was created by 1390_taz
Hi folks. Can i get some clarification from you guys in the know. I have a 2006 with the electronic transfer box. The Jimny is running on 215/75/15 with a 2" lift which is probably the biggest i can go. So im hearing that a transfer box from a automatic jimny would fit to give me a better ratio for bigger tyres. I know manual hubs will need to be fitted.

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2020 20:21 #219225 by jackonlyjack

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Mar 2020 08:03 #219233 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tranfer box
You need to run the numbers through grimmjeeper gear calculator to see. From the wiki it looks like you would go from 1.0 to 1.3 in high box, probably about right for 30" tyres. Its worth taking the time to learn grimmjeeper as it will save a lot of trial and error work

Jimny gear ratio info:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...ssion_gearing_ratios

grimmjeeper calculator:
www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1390_taz

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Mar 2020 08:05 #219234 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tranfer box
I should say also - it is possible to fit a stick operated transfer from a 2001-2005 m13 jimny with a bit of fiddling - much more avaliable than the auto t-box and similar ratios ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
01 Mar 2020 09:37 #219235 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Tranfer box
For 215 tires there is no need to change gearing. The transfer box from the auto is way too low for the 2005 and newer due to the low gearing in the axles and gearbox. Might be OK with 31 or bigger.
The same with the rocklobster.
I found the best and cheapest solution was to change the gears inside the existing box for 235 to 30" tires.
If you change the diffs or gearbox on the 2005+ you can consider either rocklobster or transfer from the auto. Do check the grim jeepers or similiar!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
01 Mar 2020 09:37 #219236 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tranfer box
If you get a VVT auto transfer case it is a straight swap. You don't need to switch to manual hubs. But the gearing reduction is massive. On relatively small tyres like 215/75s it would make long distance driving miserable.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Mar 2020 10:00 #219239 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tranfer box
Swapping to a 1.3 transfer box on its own in a push button car will correct the gearing to 35inch tyres, awesome in itself but not entirely practical.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Mar 2020 19:50 #219258 by 1390_taz
Replied by 1390_taz on topic Tranfer box
Thanks for the info everyone. It was an idea i had for sometime. So to keep the wife happy I'll stay as i am for NOW.......lol

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds