BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Modifications

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2020 13:24 #219006 by ColinTheViking
Jimny Modifications was created by ColinTheViking
Hi all,

I am currently looking at getting on the Jimny bandwagon, I love the potential that they have.

I wanted to create a thread to ask for a guide on what modifications to begin with. I've read a lot on the forum already about changes that are recommended etc. however I will be using it as my daily run around as well as doing some offroading on weekends.

I want to find out what modifications can be made to fill three categories/requirements listed below:
- I would like to make the stock car look a bit meaner.
- I would like to have it ready for light offroading.
- I would like it to be fine as a daily drive as well.

If I could get some help on some good all round ways to make the Jimny hit the things I've mentioned that would be great.

(preferable things that wouldn't take loads of work as I am a beginner to modifications. (Always happy to learn though)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2020 17:56 #219009 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Jimny Modifications
Hello there,

Gen 3 or 4?

More
24 Feb 2020 18:01 #219010 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Modifications
I would say that for "light off roading" the standard Jimny configuration is very good, but this is very subjective.
The best and easiest modification you can make is tyres.
The correct type will tick all the boxes and let you drive until the car is grounded. That's the point you start to look at body lifts, then suspension, then winches, at which point you should also add a roll cage.
Not going to suggest a make of tyre as I run road biased, but they do make a big difference.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColinTheViking

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Feb 2020 18:06 #219011 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny Modifications
Have a look in the bigjimny wiki (under "Jimny information" at the top of the page) ;-)

They are full of potential. The only factory standard stuff left on mine is the dash, steering wheel and door cards :laugh:

Joking aside, a set of decent tyres and check everything is working. Not much gets a standard jimny stuck, modded ones just make it look easier. Best thing is just to get out and drive with a group before you start spending thousands on stuff thats not needed. The bigjimny meet is coming up soon, worth a visit to see what they are like maybe?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
24 Feb 2020 18:14 #219013 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Modifications
Riccy makes a good point.
The Jimny meet is worth the 35 quid just to have a look at all the modifications available. It also lets you try your Jimny to see how it goes, you also have plenty of people to help should you get stuck.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2020 18:59 #219015 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Modifications
What they have said above but with the addition of get yourself some tuition either from a professional or by tagging along with a local club. Any Jimny in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing is a true weapon off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 14:22 #219053 by ColinTheViking
Replied by ColinTheViking on topic Jimny Modifications
Gen 3 from 2007

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 14:26 #219054 by ColinTheViking
I'm planning on going for some 15" modular steels with 215/75/15 AT's as the first mod, but I'm stuck on what offset the steels would need and if it is better to go for ET 0 and then get spacers at a later date if required?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Feb 2020 18:07 #219060 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Modifications
Spacers and high off set wheels eat wheel and kingpin bearings for lunch. 0 will be fine for starters.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 Feb 2020 18:47 #219068 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny Modifications
Spacers are the optional way, but either way gives bearing issues.I have 0ET wheels, but do have bulldog 30mm spacers and the wheels are 8" wide jobs too. I get about 3-4000 miles before changing front bearings, rears are another story altogether :laugh:

Offset wheels do add to the menacing/stance look however, if that is the aim.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 19:01 #219069 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny Modifications
I would go - 30 to start with you might have to trim the bumper a bit but it's not major

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 19:04 #219070 by ColinTheViking
So is there a certain amount of offset that would not affect the bearings too much? Daniel30 above has suggested to go straight to -30 but would that then wreck the bearings as a consequence?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds