BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Electric problem

• Jimbo02
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 15:15 #218705 by Jimbo02
Electric problem was created by Jimbo02
Hi guys , wonder if anyone can advise.
I have an 04 Jimmy which isn't used daily, short time ago it was driven short distance and died , no power in battery , jumped and put some power back in and got home , battery tested ok so replacement alternator was fitted , car restarted ran ok for a bit then flat battery again.
Battery has 12.5 v when charged ,when vehicle is running it's 11.9v obviously not right , alternator was new but from a factor not dealer.
Thinking the car starts and runs ,battery light isn't coming on as it will be charging but just not enough or have I got fitting wrong , any thoughts/opinion please.
Thanks. Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 21:15 - 18 Feb 2020 21:18 #218730 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Electric problem
Battery light never on? Not sure how this is on a jimny but some cars do not charge if the battery light fails.

Otherwise check fuses by the battery terminal and ground between engine and body and the connector on the generator..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 21:18 by yakuza.

More
18 Feb 2020 22:21 #218740 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Electric problem
You can't tell if a battery is good by checking the voltage with a multi meter. They need to be tested under load for which you need a drop tester. My first instinct is that the battery is past it's best.
The battery light should be on before you start the engine then will go out if the alternator is charging. If it's doing that you can safely assume the alternator is working as it should.
Check the battery terminals and earth leads and the connections on the alternator.

• Jimbo02
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2020 03:28 #218750 by Jimbo02
Replied by Jimbo02 on topic Electric problem
Many thanks for your help guys , sorry I also should have been more clear , battery light is on with ignition but as vehicle starts it's out as it should be , I thought that if not charging or battery fails the light should come on .
Will definitely check all that has been mentioned , many thanks.
Jim

More
19 Feb 2020 06:31 #218751 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Electric problem
The only way you can get a half reasonable information on your battery would be to measure the voltage during starting.

More
19 Feb 2020 16:09 #218770 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Electric problem
Like others here I would go for battery, had it many times on motorbikes in our club Lads leave them a while , espiecally over winter, voltage reads fine but the a page is gone ,
Even when a Jimny is parked up with everything off, if is draining...the immobiliser , only takes minimal ampage but add together over a time without charge and drains past its normal minimum level.
As said only a drop test will confirm.
The battery light just tells you the charging system is working ok .
Charging a battery with old style battery charger , then using a conditioner type charger like optimate sometimes recovers a battery.if you have access to one.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2020 16:52 #218771 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Electric problem
Your charge rates sound plain wrong. Once upon a time I would have said rectifier (when they were separate) now just read alternator. Get your battery checked first and then revisit the alternator. Always a chance it was dropped in the shop.
Chris

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds