BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

MOT: In need of moral support

More
11 Feb 2020 17:25 #218314 by Reason2doubt
Hi everyone,

Need a bit of a broader perspective on my situation...what would you do?

File Attachment:

Jimny just went for an MOT and failed spectacularly...

Not my usual MOT tester as I'm new to living down in Wales... so it had someone poke holes everywhere.

I'm considering my options at this point. We (girlfriend and I) bought the car as a project, it's nearly 21 years old. We have done a lot to it, and it has cost a fair amount...the car cost £950 originally and we have spent around £4000 on suspension, wheels, tires, brake disk conversions, brake pads, discs, engine gaskets, snorkel, roof rack, roof tent, engine belts, alternators, radiators, oil pumps, water pumps, new headlights, bumpers, winches, kingpins, boot floors, new seats & money on mechanics bills for some of these things.

I'm anticipating about £700 to get it sorted (asking the welder to sort it out, put box section on the sills etc...) - but is it worth it? Do we persevere to keep this old boy on the road?? Or should we just give up, buy a newer Jimny and swap the newer bits over?

I am at a bit of a crossroads here. I thought it would get through OKAY (i.e. minor things) on this MOT, but it's somehow got more refusals now than it has ever had, despite getting more attention than it has ever had in its whole 21 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Feb 2020 17:52 #218315 by Lambert
The cheapest car is the one you own. So i would say stick with it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Feb 2020 18:03 #218318 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic MOT: In need of moral support
A big yes to about £700 is good . and you will have a GOOD JIMNY in the end .

More
11 Feb 2020 18:04 - 11 Feb 2020 18:05 #218319 by Scimike
I agree with Lambert and gv42. Unless you can find the holy grail of Jimnys, cheap with no rust, better the devil you know.
If it's repaired properly and protected below you know it's going to last.
But yes it's a big list, you need a good drink as well as moral support.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2020 18:05 by Scimike.

More
11 Feb 2020 21:44 #218346 by Fossie
The list is long at first glance , but by doing 1 job as you say with section then most will be done together .
The headlamp issue looks like 3 but is clearly a connection or earth for instance.
But more importantly if you get a newer Jimny it'll be a higher tax bracket won't it.
I seem to remember that the first Jimnys were taxed differently ...mine is an 03 plate it's £260 a year .
Truth is you could pay £3-4000 for a later one then next year need to plate it some where ..
£700 over a year = 50odd quid a month!

More
11 Feb 2020 23:42 #218350 by jackonlyjack
If you can get it done to a good standard do it
But just prepare yourselves
When the welder sandblasts/grinds or whatever he dose
Talk it through with him then fix/buy another

Personally i would fix IT
Only time i wouldn't is when the bill costs the same as a good jimny

More
12 Feb 2020 00:44 - 12 Feb 2020 00:45 #218352 by Max Headroom
As Lambert says - the cheapest car is always the one you have. Its nothing that can't be sorted - its just a pain to have all these things in one hit, but if it was me I'd bite the bullet and just go for it.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 00:45 by Max Headroom.

More
13 Feb 2020 05:30 #218418 by Reason2doubt
Had a bit of a dig around on the things it failed on...

Headlights are brand new - they work perfectly fine but there is flickering when the engine is OFF on high beam. Surely it seems logical to have the engine running if you test the lights? I don't tend to sit parked up with high beam on!

The car was tested cold for the emissions as evidenced by the 'quick tick over/high rev' which goes down after about a minute of the car actually running and it warming up a bit.

Bloody MOT BASTARDS. To top it off, the stupid pricks have scratched all the newly painted metal underneath on the chassis and other areas in the process!! Paid £45 for that privilege!! Bunch of incompetent spanners.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Feb 2020 05:56 #218420 by Lambert
This is why I use my local authority mot service, an honest assessment of the vehicle not an attempt to garner work for a garage. You can contend the test with vosa if you genuinely believe it is wrong.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
13 Feb 2020 11:20 - 13 Feb 2020 11:21 #218427 by Max Headroom
I go to a local workshop out in the sticks - the guy is a BMC mini enthusiast, so we get on at a 'car enthusiast' level from the start. He also knows I'm an aircraft engineer so he's not going to try and hoodwink me - not that aircraft are very similar in any way - but you get my meaning.
They're fairly strict but very fair and use a bit of engineering licence when there is doubt. They're also fairly agricultural and of a mind to keep people on the move and not out to make a swift buck like the more commercial ventures found in large towns.
As they're a small outfit tin the sticks hey need to keep a good reputation or rapidly lose trade

Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 11:21 by Max Headroom.

More
14 Feb 2020 10:31 #218483 by Reason2doubt
It does sound like I need to fine a more 'local' local garage - this one, although they are helpful are maybe a bit too mainstream.

I've had a few days to think about the situation so I'm not spitting my dummy out anymore, although I am still frustrated a tad.

I approached the local welder who is going to rip off the sills and put box section in - I have told him to go over the whole car and fix anything that looks suspicious - this includes some work on the boot floor (previously put in by KAP Suzuki - but he did a gash job and used a load of silicon instead of welding it properly).

I want to keep this car for as long as I can - it is old and the rust situation is not ideal, but that can be fixed. The only thing that I do not have at the moment is time or a place to work on the car as I'm between houses living in a little flat temporarily. Once I have a house with a garage (next few years perhaps) I can put the JImny aside and work on it in my own time. At present it is struggling to be my weekend greenlaner and main car; I feel I am asking too much of this old boy.

More
14 Feb 2020 11:36 #218491 by Max Headroom
I totally understand your frustrations, but from the sounds of it you are doing what I would consider the right thing, and certainly forming a good workable plan of action to resolve the problems. Old cars - often a dilemma, but with tenacity can be sorted out - sometimes more quickly and easier than expected.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds