BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

More
14 Feb 2020 12:29 #218495 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Thanks. I admit I’ve not tried on the Jimny yet. Was basing on experience with a Series Land Rover or a 90. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2020 13:54 #218498 by GeezerDan
Replied by GeezerDan on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
I just looked at the Gen4 user manual and it has the following:

Transfer lever. Your vehicle is equipped with the 'ALL GRIP PRO' system that consists of a transfer case with a synchroniser (between 2WD-high and 4WD-high positions) and the air locking hubs. With this feature, you can shift the drive mode between 2-wheel drive high range and 4-wheel drive high range by shifting the "2H" or "4H" position. Stop the vehicle or reduce the speed to less than 100km/h (60 mph) with the front wheels in the straight ahead position. Do not shift the transfer lever without depressing the accelerator pedal. Do not activate the cruse control system when shifting the transfer.

From 2H position to 4H position or 4H position to 2H position:
The transfer lever can be shifted when the vehicle is either stopped or moving. Position the front wheels straight ahead and shift the transfer lever from 2H to 4H or 4H to 2H. If the vehicle is moving, the speed must be les than 100km/h (60 mph) during this operation.

From 4H to 4L positon:
Stop the vehicle completely, place the transmission in "N" (Neutral) or depress the clutch pedal fully (if equipped), then shift the transfer lever from 4H position to 4L position by pressing the transfer lever.

More
17 Feb 2020 07:55 #218647 by GeezerDan
I've seen some youtube videos showing the 2H to 4H operation, but seem to contradict the handbook. The handbook says to depress the accelerator (push down).

Can anyone share the correct way to change from 2H to 4H please?

More
17 Feb 2020 09:44 #218652 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Pull the lever back.
Don't do it with the wheels spinning under power, on dry tarmac or if the steering is turned more than a few degrees and the car is moving.

Keep the accelerator where it is until the hubs click in.

Moving the accelerator too far either way risks upsetting the car even more in the sort of situations where people worry about putting it in 4wd- i.e. too late.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeezerDan

More
17 Feb 2020 11:14 #218655 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

GeezerDan wrote: I've seen some youtube videos showing the 2H to 4H operation, but seem to contradict the handbook. The handbook says to depress the accelerator (push down).

Can anyone share the correct way to change from 2H to 4H please?

Curious but why are you not wanting to believe what the manual says?

And as mentioned a few times in this thread. The front hubs engage via vacuum. Hence the need for a few revs on the engine. With the engine idling there will be very little vacuum.

More
17 Feb 2020 11:29 #218657 by GeezerDan
Not wanting to believe the manual isn't what I said, but thanks for the input.

More
17 Feb 2020 12:20 #218658 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

300bhpton wrote:

GeezerDan wrote: Curious but why are you not wanting to believe what the manual says?

And as mentioned a few times in this thread. The front hubs engage via vacuum. Hence the need for a few revs on the engine. With the engine idling there will be very little vacuum.

The manual is translated into English. And it is plain wrong in places- try and set the anti-hijack locking using the info display (page 2-34) ;)

There is a vacuum reservoir under the right hand wing to feed the hubs, and maximum vacuum is achieved with a closed throttle anyway, unless it is a diesel, when the vacuum comes from a pump on the alternator, which would need engine revs.

My suggestion, based on nearly 40 years driving part time 4x4s LandRovers, Jeeps & suzukis, is to simply pull the lever back and not overthink it.

Personally, as I have to pay for repairs, and I want it to last at the very least 20 years, I would normally use the clutch to get all 4 wheels rolling at the same speed and reduce the strain on the locking and synchronising mechanisms, but it isn't going to break if you don't.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeezerDan

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds